Author Topic: Big Changes @ WEEI  (Read 10970 times)

Re: Big Changes @ WEEI
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2013, 03:29:48 PM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2152
Was anyone listening to Felger and Mazz yesterday afternoon when they opened up talking about Ordway? If so, can you summarize what was said?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2013, 03:41:51 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Was anyone listening to Felger and Mazz yesterday afternoon when they opened up talking about Ordway? If so, can you summarize what was said?

I didn't hear it, although I would love to.  I imagine they said good things about them.  He helped them both out earlier in their careers, and I don't think there was any bad feelings between them.  My guess is they just bashed WEEI for dumping him.

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2013, 05:28:09 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
One of the things I look forward to whenever I go up to New England is the talk radio, and in particular, sports talk radio.  Despite the complaints I just read, the pickings are much, much richer up there.  (I drive my husband crazy...started listening to sports talk radio when Eddie Andleman was on WEEI back in 1971.)  Of course I orinially fell in love with sports on radio listening to Johnny Most.   ;)  As soon as I hit the Massachusetts border, the CDs come out and radio goes on.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2013, 07:09:48 PM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
One of the things I look forward to whenever I go up to New England is the talk radio, and in particular, sports talk radio.  Despite the complaints I just read, the pickings are much, much richer up there.  (I drive my husband crazy...started listening to sports talk radio when Eddie Andleman was on WEEI back in 1971.)  Of course I orinially fell in love with sports on radio listening to Johnny Most.   ;)  As soon as I hit the Massachusetts border, the CDs come out and radio goes on.

If you have a smartphone and an Aux-in for your car you can listen down in Florida. Both weei and the Sports hub have apps

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2013, 07:10:28 PM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey

I didn't hear it, although I would love to.  I imagine they said good things about them.  He helped them both out earlier in their careers, and I don't think there was any bad feelings between them.  My guess is they just bashed WEEI for dumping him.

I would love to too. I can't find anything on it right now.

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2013, 07:22:57 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584

If you have a smartphone and an Aux-in for your car you can listen down in Florida. Both weei and the Sports hub have apps
;) I don't have a smart phone, or any other gadgets except a 10 year old cell phone that still works (I buy minutes).  I don't text.  I am so addicted to the computer...spend hours ever day on it...that I am afraid my life would be taken over completely.  I even still read "real" books, no kindle, no tablet, no smart phone, no mp3 player.  ha ha haha  just me and my laptop
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2013, 06:36:39 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Anyone else listen to the last Big Show? For a long time I really disliked Ordway, but felt like lately he had really stepped his game up since being paired with Holley. It sounded like a lot of the people there were close to tears. Sad to see him go, Monday at 2:00 should be interesting.

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2013, 09:49:33 PM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey

Felger and Mazz today:

MIKE FELGER: “I mean, he’s had a hell of a lot of success, and had a hell of a lot of success not all that long ago. And he’s been on the air with that show almost twenty years? I mean, probably over half of it, he was number one. And, it wasn’t all that long ago that he was still number one. And yes, we’ve had a good run here the last couple of years. But, what are [Ordway and Holley] now, I — you know, second to fourth… third, fourth, second, somewhere in that range. It’s not like they went to last [place]. And I just — from a personal level? Good God, I’m gonna be number one for twenty years, and then I’m third? And that’s tanking? And you’re out of a job? I don’t feel like being congratulated at all. That scares the crap out of me.”

TONY MASSAROTTI: “I actually spoke with him earlier today, and I hadn’t talked to him since; I’ve exchanged a text message, and said the same thing… I don’t get that whole thing, about, ‘congratulations’, for what? For, you know, for, for the fact that someone is now deprived of a livelihood?”

FELGER: “Well, it’s not just that, I mean, things change.”

MASSAROTTI: “Of course, they change.”

FELGER: “Quickly; we were third last spring.”

MASSAROTTI: “Hey, the Grim Reaper comes to get all of us sooner or later.”

FELGER: “Being another talk show host, I don’t like that one bit. Not good news, for me or anybody else. That third place is suddenly bad.”

MASSAROTTI: “I mean, in this business, to do that, for that length of time, is borderline unheard of, really. It’s extraordinary, and again, the — look, in this business, okay, you’re exposed. On a regular basis, every day, for twenty hours a week, and I’m not making a pity party. That’s the job. That is what the job is. And so, some of you love him, some of you hate him. Fine… but don’t disrespect the ability, is all I’m saying. And that’s how I look at it. So, I have tremendous respect for his talent, and again, I feel indebted.”

http://sportsrantz.com/media/2013/02/15/glenn-ordway-signs-off-at-weei-felger-and-mazz-pay-their-respects/

Still looking for Felger and Mazz' reaction to the news on Wednesday if anyone can find it.

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2013, 09:50:30 PM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Anyone else listen to the last Big Show? For a long time I really disliked Ordway, but felt like lately he had really stepped his game up since being paired with Holley. It sounded like a lot of the people there were close to tears. Sad to see him go, Monday at 2:00 should be interesting.

I listened. Check out that link I just posted for a good read on the final show. You can even listen to it there.

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
I really hope the Big O goes solo app and internet style. Grab Pete Sheppard some good producers and go back to rotating guests like in the glory days. I really hope this is the direction he goes.

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2013, 10:03:07 PM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Another thought, I would love to see Ordway replace Tanguay on the Celtic shows.

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2013, 10:07:18 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
This is a bit saddening to me, as Ordway at least had some integrity and class.

You couldn't pay me enough to listen to or watch that afternoon nightmare with Felger and Mazz ... four hours of the most inane know-it-alls in the business, spewing anti-Celtic vitriol and blabbing about nothing.

Felger is the worst Boston-area sports "personality" to ever come down the Mass Pike, and I honestly can't believe people actually give weight to his twisted opinions ... he should've been booted from the Hub years ago, along with his loyal cronies.

Mazz is the same, just less intelligent and a smaller mouth.

Other than that, this is great news. :P ;)

Boston will miss the Big O.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *