Author Topic: Connor Bird, son of Larry Bird, faces multiple charges...  (Read 9016 times)

Re: Connor Bird, son of Larry Bird, faces multiple charges...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 02:49:01 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/connor-bird-son-larry-bird-faces-multiple-charges-171650515--nba.html

He sounds like an uninvolved parent. He always seemed like a guy who was tough to get close too. Must be hard for his kids.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 02:58:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/connor-bird-son-larry-bird-faces-multiple-charges-171650515--nba.html

He sounds like an uninvolved parent. He always seemed like a guy who was tough to get close too. Must be hard for his kids.
Meh...  uninvolved parents... involved parents who you wish hadn't been so involved... poor parents who neglect... rich parents who spoil... ... poor parents who spoil... rich parents who neglect... whatever.  We've all had a variety of upbringings, but only a select few of us try to run over our girlfriends with a car. 

I know punks from amazing families and I know quality folks from terrible families.  Is what it is.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 03:09:36 PM »

Offline TheBig5

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25

Meh...  uninvolved parents... involved parents who you wish hadn't been so involved... poor parents who neglect... rich parents who spoil... ... poor parents who spoil... rich parents who neglect... whatever.  We've all had a variety of upbringings, but only a select few of us try to run over our girlfriends with a car. 

I know punks from amazing families and I know quality folks from terrible families.  Is what it is.

Well said.

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 03:10:21 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I kind of agree.  Sometimes all the support in the world won't change a troubled kid into a stable one.  But that article on Larry's lack of any connection to his daughter sounds even worse.  Hard to hear bad stories about people we look up to, but don't really know at all.  Ruins the illusion that they are a great person away from the game as well.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 03:23:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I kind of agree.  Sometimes all the support in the world won't change a troubled kid into a stable one.  But that article on Larry's lack of any connection to his daughter sounds even worse.  Hard to hear bad stories about people we look up to, but don't really know at all.  Ruins the illusion that they are a great person away from the game as well.
It's not fair to speculate too much about someone's personal life.  Larry was obsessive about the game of basketball.  Larry had size, but he wasn't naturally gifted... it was just obsessive repetition.  An all-consuming addiction to be the best.  You probably don't dedicate that much of your existence to a game without a little darkness in your soul.  It's easy to say that Larry had a rough upbringing, neglected his kids and thus perpetuated a cycle of damage, but I think that's a cop-out.  That's the easy narrative that people will jump on, because it puts everything in a nice little package.  It's never that simple. 

I find it really annoying when someone blames their behavior on their upbringing.  My parents were crap and I turned out relatively alright.  Meanwhile, my cousins were raised in a perfect little loving christian household and one's in rehab while the other is serving time.  Everyone's gotta be their own person and ultimately take responsibility for their own behavior.

If Connor Bird tried to run over his girlfriend, he's an idiot.

Larry Bird is still my favorite player of all time ;)

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 03:58:33 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Take it to the bank. TP.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 04:11:45 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

It's not fair to speculate too much about someone's personal life.  Larry was obsessive about the game of basketball.  Larry had size, but he wasn't naturally gifted... it was just obsessive repetition.  An all-consuming addiction to be the best.  You probably don't dedicate that much of your existence to a game without a little darkness in your soul.  It's easy to say that Larry had a rough upbringing, neglected his kids and thus perpetuated a cycle of damage, but I think that's a cop-out.  That's the easy narrative that people will jump on, because it puts everything in a nice little package.  It's never that simple. 

I find it really annoying when someone blames their behavior on their upbringing.  My parents were crap and I turned out relatively alright.  Meanwhile, my cousins were raised in a perfect little loving christian household and one's in rehab while the other is serving time.  Everyone's gotta be their own person and ultimately take responsibility for their own behavior.

I agree 100% about Conner. 

My comments were about his daughter.  It was linked in that article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1012762/5/index.htm

Based on that article, she doesn't sound like she is blaming her bad life on her parents.  She just wants a relationship with her father.  I know, I know - always more to the story that what hits the media.  But anytime a parent doesn't speak to their kid for that long it is just disturbing.  Larry was my fav player growing up as well but I had never heard that story before.

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 04:17:40 PM »

Offline stb

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 119
Being the father of a 5 and 3 year old I find it DISGUSTING that a parent would cut off contact with their child.  No matter what problems he has with Corrie's mother that is NO excuse for punishing her. 

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 04:24:35 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
I can't believe that the little baby Bird was carrying around during Barcelona or had in his arms during his retirement ceremony is old enough to be driving over his girlfriend now!  Time flies.

Gotta agree with some of the posters.  I am sure Bird is not the most involved dad in the world, but I am sure Connor had it much better than a lot of kids who manage to make it through life without doing what he just did.

On the Corrie thing, it's a tough one and like a previous poster said, noone knows the whole story. It sounds like bird did eventually provide child support after blood tests and was somewhat involved in her life.  I think the article glosses over the fact that Connie had Bird's highchool jersey in her gym bag as a good luck charm, which I am pretty sure she must have gotten from Larry so they may have glorified his absenteeism a little bit for the sake of the article. I'm not saying he should not have been there for her more, but we don't know the ins and outs of his relationship with is ex and what all went into that when he was very young.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 04:29:45 PM by quidinqui33 »

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 04:25:28 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

While I agree with what you say. People must take responsibilities for their actions. Facts are that we are all a product of our environment. Not everyone takes advantage of a loving home, but when you have that your chances of, not doing something like this are greater. Always exceptions to any rule, but most people I know who came from a good family had way less issues then those from broken homes.

Never is there an excuse to try to hit someone with a car.. well maybe if they're trying to endanger your life like a serial killer is after you or something. Anyways...

Wouldn't surprise me if the boy has a lot of anger and rage if his relationship with his father is like the one his sister has with the father. Always harder on a young man when the relationship with the father is non-existent.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 05:09:53 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
If memory serves Larry's father killed himself when Larry was a teen.  Not for nothing, but that's pretty much as uninvolved as it gets.

Yup

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 06:04:48 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101

I agree 100% about Conner. 

My comments were about his daughter.  It was linked in that article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1012762/5/index.htm

Based on that article, she doesn't sound like she is blaming her bad life on her parents.  She just wants a relationship with her father.  I know, I know - always more to the story that what hits the media.  But anytime a parent doesn't speak to their kid for that long it is just disturbing.  Larry was my fav player growing up as well but I had never heard that story before.

fwiw, Shawn Kemp is discussed in that article and he has become something closer to a model parent in the meanwhile, taking clear responsibility for the kids, seeing 2 of them here at The University of Washington frequently, and discussing his issues openly on the radio. So just wanted folks to know that by all local accounts he apparently grew the heck up after leaving the NBA

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 06:07:59 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
If memory serves Larry's father killed himself when Larry was a teen.  Not for nothing, but that's pretty much as uninvolved as it gets.

Larry's dad reportedly killed himself to get the life insurance check for the family because he was having trouble earning money. Not the best decision by any means, but not uninvolved either.

It had a major impact on Larry Bird and his work ethic.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:17:54 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 12:52:12 PM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
Ah, yes - EVERYONE knows exactly what kind of father Larry is because of perception and internet reports.

Look, I'm the father of 4 kids (ages 13 to 8).  As a 40 year old man, I can tell you I'm a different person today than I was 10 years ago.

Maybe Larry deserves a little rope.  His personal story is well documented - poverty, large family, social awkwardness and a suicidal father.  2 strikes already against him.  His daughter has made her comments public, and Larry has dealt with that.  Larry also is a private man who says HE knows the "truth" of the situation and that's "all that matters to him."

Honestly, is this any of OUR business??  No, it's not...  But I'd also like to think that Larry is a more mature man and father today, and if anyone is basing their opinion on what they see on their computer screen, they'd have no idea of who Larry really is, as if it's any of our business in the first place.

(side note: was this son adopted?  I thought they adopted this child - if so, the whole Larry - DNA thing is a moot point as well.  but maybe I'm wrong on this adoption thing).