Author Topic: Gotta go free agents  (Read 1904 times)

Gotta go free agents
« on: February 12, 2013, 02:10:24 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
At the beginning of the season, we had the depth to possibly trade quantity for quality (ex: CLee and Bass for somebody). Now we are slim on quantity in addition to quality. There are no trades that we can do that make us both deeper and better. So we have two options: blow it up, or get better through free agency.

I'm not ready to blow it up yet. Not with the recent play of KG and Pierce. We still have a shot, people.

So what do we do? We sign free agents. There are X players I think this team needs to take a look at...

Delonte West (PG/SG): He's already been discussed a lot on this board, and some people don't like his attitude. But he knows the system, he's a good scorer, a good passer, and has good size for the guard spot. He's my first choice by a lot.

Michael Redd (SG): Wouldn't this be weird? Fix a team who has had two ACL injures by signing a guy who has had two ACL injuries? He's a good option, but probably too risky given our current situation.

Keyon Dooling (PG): Probably not coming back to basketball, as much as we all want him to.

Kenyon Martin (PF): You're not going to find a better defending or scoring big on the free agent market. You just have to be okay with the 'tude.

Kyrylo Fesenko (C): He was brought up in some thread earlier this month, and I think he'd be a good fit.

Bit of a rant time:

Honestly, I didn't think this team had what it took. A month ago we looked tired, uninterested, you name it. But you can never count out KG and Pierce. Even if we get knocked out in the first round, it will have been worth it. I'm not ready to give up on those two yet, not while they can still carry a team.

FREE AGENCY!!!

Re: Gotta go free agents
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 02:14:07 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Kyrylo Fesenko (C): He was brought up in some thread earlier this month, and I think he'd be a good fit.
I am still to see any reasonable argument about why a guy who has repeatedly shown he has no NBA-caliber skills would be a "good fit".
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 02:15:54 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I am still to see any reasonable argument about why a guy who has repeatedly shown he has no NBA-caliber skills would be a "good fit".

Thank you. Aside from him hitting Kobe a few times, this guy does nothing that makes me think he should even dress for the Celtics. Go after Kenyon Martin. Then try and move Bass For something.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 02:31:30 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Kenyon Martin + Delonte West

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 02:52:45 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
The Celtics are not considering signing free agent PG Delonte West. The Celtics are looking for a stopgap point guard option like Shelvin Mack, but they don't want to deal with West. He's been out of the league since last season and recently declined an invite to rehab his game/image in the D-League.

Related: Celtics Source: Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 03:00:50 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
The Celtics are not considering signing free agent PG Delonte West. The Celtics are looking for a stopgap point guard option like Shelvin Mack, but they don't want to deal with West. He's been out of the league since last season and recently declined an invite to rehab his game/image in the D-League.

Shelvin Mack was in Maine, so there'll probably be some level of familiarity. Him, or any of the Pargos -- if they're available.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 03:18:14 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Celtics weighing options after Barbosa injury, likely to go with 10-day and revisit after break. D-League's Shelvin Mack a strong candidate.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 03:37:49 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40

Agree. Maybe and Michael Redd, can be Eddy Curry

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 03:44:57 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Shelvin Mack was in Maine, so there'll probably be some level of familiarity. Him, or any of the Pargos -- if they're available.

Mack sounds good to me. Was a fan of him in college
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 03:47:47 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Agree. Maybe and Michael Redd, can be Eddy Curry
I'd prefer players with NBA/NBDL games under their belts this season. Can't afford to bring in folks with questionable game fitness.