Author Topic: A Trade that gets us a Big and a Point  (Read 2967 times)

A Trade that gets us a Big and a Point
« on: February 12, 2013, 01:14:45 PM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
For the longest  I've been wanting to do the Brandon Bass to Denver for Mozgov and Randolph deal. Now with the Barbosa injury, I think any deal moving a big, must bring in return at least 1 guard. So after thinking a messing around with the trade machine, I think I've found a realistic and reasonable deal that gets us both a big and a guard.

I'm not 100% sure how to link trades from espn trade machine to this website, so there's no link, but I will spell the deal out below:

Boston sends:Brandon Bass(maybe 2nd rnd pick)
Boston receives:Anthony Randolph, Aaron Brooks

Denver sends:Timofey Mozgov, Anthony Randolph
Denver receives:Brandon Bass(maybe 2nd rd pick)

Sacramento sends:Aaron Brooks
Sacramento receives:Timofey Mozgov

C's essentially: Brooks in for Barbosa
                 A.Randolph in for Sully

bradley/brooks
lee/terry
pierce/green
randolph/wilcox/
KG/Collins/melo

Summary/Theory:
Denver moves two guys who don't see the floor, and get some value in return for Mozgov's expiring deal. With McGhee, Manimal, Koufos, having Bass gives them a big who can stretch floor.

Boston gets from underneath Bass's deal, and gets a young, athletic, capable rebounder, and shorter-contract, and potential piece for the future. Aaron Brooks is a Barbosa-like guard who can score, is quick, and has more "point guard" skills than either Lee-terry-bradley. Also, he's a two-year deal, so in my opinion that helps with not having Rondo rush back to soon.

Sacramento having Tyreke, Isaiah thomas, Jimmer, and Marcus Thornton are log-jammed at the point guard position, and Brooks has played a combined 14 mins over the last 5 games.

Quote from espn fanstasy:
Brooks is currently out of the Kings' point guard rotation, the Sacramento Bee reports. Speaking of the situation, coach Keith Smart said, "I couldn't play all three of them. (So I'm going to) try to play two guys and keep it consistent."

Spin: Those two players were Isaiah Thomas and Jimmer Fredette, the latter of which had earned little run before the past two games, when Brooks gathered DNP-Coach's Decisions. As a result of Brooks losing his place in the rotation, both Tyreke Evans and John Salmons have increased opportunity to facilitate in Sacramento's offense.

Also for Sacramento, they move a 2-yr contract, for an expiring one.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 01:33:40 PM by fanofgreen »

Re: Trade that gets us a Big and a Point
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 01:17:32 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Excellent trade for Sacramento. Bad trade for Denver.

Unsure about Boston. I don't like the idea of depending on A.Randolph for big minutes but I do think Aaron Brooks could be very successful here with Rajon Rondo out injured. Give Boston similar production as he gave Houston during his career year there.

It's not like Bass is playing all that well anyway.

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 01:21:42 PM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown

Unsure about Boston. I don't like the idea of depending on A.Randolph for big minutes but I do think Aaron Brooks could be very successful here with Rajon Rondo out injured. Give Boston similar production as he gave Houston during his career year there.

True, i thought about that. Relying on A. Randolph is somewhat frightening, but having Bass out there doesn't give me the sense of assurance either. I'm thinking that A. Randolph is the type of player, and at the point in his career where he is willing to do anything to get playing time...and if Doc and Kg tell him to focus purely on rebounding, he'll do that very well, just because he wants to stay on floor.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 01:23:14 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I'd do it

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 01:53:40 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Back when Randolph actually got decent playing time was in '09-'10 he put up good numbers....

22min    11.6 points   6.5 rebounds   1.5 blocks

Plus he's on a very good contract at a little under 2mill per for the next 3 years

PS-Randolph also plays less minutes than Collins lol c'mon Denver, you don't need him!
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 01:55:51 PM »

Offline CelticnLA

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 10

True, i thought about that. Relying on A. Randolph is somewhat frightening, but having Bass out there doesn't give me the sense of assurance either. I'm thinking that A. Randolph is the type of player, and at the point in his career where he is willing to do anything to get playing time...and if Doc and Kg tell him to focus purely on rebounding, he'll do that very well, just because he wants to stay on floor.

Good post. I agree with most of it. I don't know exactly how this trade positively effects Boston. Anthony Randolph is a broke man's version of Lamar Odom, so even if he is trying to revive his career I'm not sure what you can realistically expect from him on a night in, night out basis. I do like Brooks, and do believe he would fill in well as a Barbosa fill in quite nicely.

In staying with the thread's title, we need a trade/move that will bring in a big and a guard. Houston may have the pieces the C's could use, and our old pal McHale may be able to help us get it done.

From Houston: PF Greg Smith/PG/SG Toney Douglas
From Boston: PF Brandon Bass/C Fab Melo/2013 2nd Round

Boston Depth Chart:
PG: Bradley/Terry
SG: Lee/Terry/Douglas
SF: Pierce/Green
PF: Wilcox/Green/Smith
C: Garnett/Collins/Wilcox

Why for Boston: Toney Douglas is a 'microwavesque' energy type of player that can put points on the board in a hurry, similar to Barbosa. He does not have a high basketball iq, but is a capable ball handler. He has never played on a team with a veteran presence like Boston. He has always been seen as talented, just a little (or a lot) undisciplined.

Greg Smith provides a big body (6'10", 7'3" wingspan, that is tough on the glass with soft hands. He could potentially thrive playing with Garnett mentoring him. Plus Garnett plays outside the paint, leaving the lane wide open, which is where Smith lives. Plus if Garnett can feed a little red meat to Smith, he could grow into an enforcer type roll, he has the build for it, and he is a bit more rugged than Wilcox.

Why for Houston: Bass gives them a playoff tested veteran on a team that lacks experience. He also is a deadeye midrange shooter, on a team with a drive and kick backcourt. Bass could experience would get a ton of shots playing in the shadows of Harden and Lin, who are both willing passers.

Fab is a project but gives them a 10-15 min a game rim protector.

And the 2nd rounder would be pretty good, and Houston's front office does well selecting talent.

Thoughts:

"Young man, you have the question backwards."

-- Bill Russell, after a reporter asked him how he would have fared against Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 02:00:31 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Good post. I agree with most of it. I don't know exactly how this trade positively effects Boston. Anthony Randolph is a broke man's version of Lamar Odom, so even if he is trying to revive his career I'm not sure what you can realistically expect from him on a night in, night out basis. I do like Brooks, and do believe he would fill in well as a Barbosa fill in quite nicely.

In staying with the thread's title, we need a trade/move that will bring in a big and a guard. Houston may have the pieces the C's could use, and our old pal McHale may be able to help us get it done.

From Houston: PF Greg Smith/PG/SG Toney Douglas
From Boston: PF Brandon Bass/C Fab Melo/2013 2nd Round

Boston Depth Chart:
PG: Bradley/Terry
SG: Lee/Terry/Douglas
SF: Pierce/Green
PF: Wilcox/Green/Smith
C: Garnett/Collins/Wilcox

Why for Boston: Toney Douglas is a 'microwavesque' energy type of player that can put points on the board in a hurry, similar to Barbosa. He does not have a high basketball iq, but is a capable ball handler. He has never played on a team with a veteran presence like Boston. He has always been seen as talented, just a little (or a lot) undisciplined.

Greg Smith provides a big body (6'10", 7'3" wingspan, that is tough on the glass with soft hands. He could potentially thrive playing with Garnett mentoring him. Plus Garnett plays outside the paint, leaving the lane wide open, which is where Smith lives. Plus if Garnett can feed a little red meat to Smith, he could grow into an enforcer type roll, he has the build for it, and he is a bit more rugged than Wilcox.

Why for Houston: Bass gives them a playoff tested veteran on a team that lacks experience. He also is a deadeye midrange shooter, on a team with a drive and kick backcourt. Bass could experience would get a ton of shots playing in the shadows of Harden and Lin, who are both willing passers.

Fab is a project but gives them a 10-15 min a game rim protector.

And the 2nd rounder would be pretty good, and Houston's front office does well selecting talent.

Thoughts:

I keep bringing this up only to have people dismiss it. Houston needs a PF who can consistently hit that mid range and play pick and pop with Lin/Harden. Bass's lack of rebounding would also be masked a little because Asik is a very good rebounder.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: A Trade that gets us a Big and a Point
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 02:04:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I always liked Randolph.  Strange he's never really gotten it together. 

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 02:07:16 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Bass's lack of rebounding would also be masked a little because Asik is a very good rebounder.
Do you think Bass' lack of rebounding is masked a little by the fact that Pierce, Garnett, and Rondo (when he was healthy) are very good rebounders? If so, why do CBers keep complaining about it? :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 02:27:46 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
For the longest  I've been wanting to do the Brandon Bass to Denver for Mozgov and Randolph deal. Now with the Barbosa injury, I think any deal moving a big, must bring in return at least 1 guard. So after thinking a messing around with the trade machine, I think I've found a realistic and reasonable deal that gets us both a big and a guard.

I'm not 100% sure how to link trades from espn trade machine to this website, so there's no link, but I will spell the deal out below:

A.Randolph in for Sully

bradley/brooks
lee/terry
pierce/green
randolph/wilcox/
KG/Collins/melo

Summary/Theory:
Denver moves two guys who don't see the floor, and get some value in return for Mozgov's expiring deal. With McGhee, Manimal, Koufos, having Bass gives them a big who can stretch floor.

Boston gets from underneath Bass's deal, and gets a young, athletic, capable rebounder, and shorter-contract, and potential piece for the future. Aaron Brooks is a Barbosa-like guard who can score, is quick, and has more "point guard" skills than either Lee-terry-bradley. Also, he's a two-year deal, so in my opinion that helps with not having Rondo rush back to soon.

Sacramento having Tyreke, Isaiah thomas, Jimmer, and Marcus Thornton are log-jammed at the point guard position, and Brooks has played a combined 14 mins over the last 5 games.

Brooks is currently out of the Kings' point guard rotation, the Sacramento Bee reports. Speaking of the situation, coach Keith Smart said, "I couldn't play all three of them. (So I'm going to) try to play two guys and keep it consistent."

Spin: Those two players were Isaiah Thomas and Jimmer Fredette, the latter of which had earned little run before the past two games, when Brooks gathered DNP-Coach's Decisions. As a result of Brooks losing his place in the rotation, both Tyreke Evans and John Salmons have increased opportunity to facilitate in Sacramento's offense.

Thoughts?
I really like this trade TP

Also to get trade machine link, hit “save trade” then copy and paste the link
Here ya go
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=b96zh7n

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 02:49:18 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Bass and a second round pick would not land Mosgov and Brooks.

His contract alone is the 1st thing. Second, he's playing bad right now. Third, Denver don't need PF's who are paid a ton and are under-performing.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 03:12:16 PM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown

A.Randolph in for Sully

bradley/brooks
lee/terry
pierce/green
randolph/wilcox/
KG/Collins/melo

Summary/Theory:

Thoughts?
I really like this trade TP

Also to get trade machine link, hit “save trade” then copy and paste the link
Here ya go
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=b96zh7n

Thank You! that seems simple enough!

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 03:13:06 PM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown