Author Topic: Bradley/Bass for Pekovic/Ridnour  (Read 2282 times)

Bradley/Bass for Pekovic/Ridnour
« on: February 12, 2013, 12:53:58 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
meh? Minn gets their SG of the future and likely can't resign Pek after this season.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Bradley/Bass for Pekovic/Ridnour
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 12:59:40 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
meh? Minn gets their SG of the future and likely can't resign Pek after this season.

Why can't Minnesota resign Pek?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 01:02:42 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

Why can't Minnesota resign Pek?

I suppose they can but Kirelinko is due 10mill next year with a player option so they would be walking into heavy luxury tax by giving Pek the contract he's going to get.

Also, Rubio is eligible for an extension next season and I'm sure he won't be cheap.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 01:05:36 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
They can resign him, since he is a restricted free agent.  The question is whether he will get an offer that is more than they think he is worth.  Numbers like $10-12m/year are being tossed about.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 01:09:56 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I'm on board.

After that trade KG to the Clips, get Bledsoe to replace Bradley.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 01:10:10 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
They can resign him, since he is a restricted free agent.  The question is whether he will get an offer that is more than they think he is worth.  Numbers like $10-12m/year are being tossed about.

Like I said, they CAN resign him technically but that will put them in luxury tax.

I'd be shocked if he got less than 10mill
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 01:14:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Like I said, they CAN resign him technically but that will put them in luxury tax.

Unless my math is wrong, I don't think that puts Minnesota into luxury tax range, especially if they can medically remove Roy from their cap.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 01:19:03 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

I don't think that's quite right.

http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/timberwolves.jsp

Without the numbers for Kirilenko, Pek, Cunningham, Conroy, and Stiemsma, the Wolves have around $42 million, give or take, committed for next season.

Assuming Kirilenko uses his option, payroll jumps to $52 million. That's still a good $18 mil below the luxury tax threshold for next season. Resigning Pek to a big contract won't make them taxpayers.

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 01:23:22 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

I don't think that's quite right.

http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/timberwolves.jsp

Without the numbers for Kirilenko, Pek, Cunningham, Conroy, and Stiemsma, the Wolves have around $42 million, give or take, committed for next season.

Assuming Kirilenko uses his option, payroll jumps to $52 million. That's still a good $18 mil below the luxury tax threshold for next season. Resigning Pek to a big contract won't make them taxpayers.

Hmm my bad, it appears my math was wrong
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 01:27:01 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
I think your premise isn't far off: I doubt the Wolves will want to field a roster potentially costing well over $60 million next year.

I think they'll try to move non-core guys, like Roy and Ridnour, and maybe Derrick Williams, to free up payroll they can devote to bringing back Pek. I imagine he's a big part of their plans for the future.

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 01:55:14 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I don't think it has to do with luxury tax.  I think it has more to do with the possibility that Pekovic signs an offer sheet for four years at $12m per year.  If that is going to happen, should the T-Wolves match, should they let him go and get nothing in return, or should they trade him now so they get something for him and don't have to overpay to avoid being in a spot where they have only the MLE or equivalent size to find a replacement.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 02:02:02 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
I don't think it has to do with luxury tax.  I think it has more to do with the possibility that Pekovic signs an offer sheet for four years at $12m per year.  If that is going to happen, should the T-Wolves match, should they let him go and get nothing in return, or should they trade him now so they get something for him and don't have to overpay to avoid being in a spot where they have only the MLE or equivalent size to find a replacement.

Portland?
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 02:12:23 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Portland?

I don't think they'll have quite the cap room to make that kind of offer. Pek would be a nice fit there, though.

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 02:25:37 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Portland?

Dallas is obviously clearing space to make a run at a free agent, although I don't think they are the sort of team to overvalue Pekovic like that.  Maybe Atlanta, if they lose Josh Smith and fail to land Dwight Howard, would consider overpaying Pekovic.  Would he fit the 76ers if Bynum doesn't want to be there?

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 02:34:03 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Not equal value for Minny. They pass.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)