Poll

You are Jadeveon Clowney - What do you do?

Play for South Carolina
8 (53.3%)
Sign with an Agent
4 (26.7%)
Don't know
3 (20%)
Other (explain)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: You are Jadeveon Clowney - What do you do?  (Read 8117 times)

Re: You are Jadeveon Clowney - What do you do?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 10:08:15 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
He could hurt his draft status by taking the year off, if only because it would put into question his motivations playing football.  Great football players don't willingly sit out a year, just to assure themselves of a paycheck.

Go and take out an insurance policy against his expected future earnings, and go out there and try to win some football games.

No one said he was taking a year off
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 10:08:56 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The sad thing is no matter what this kid does if something doesn't go his way "don't pull a Clowney" could move into our language

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 10:17:53 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
He could hurt his draft status by taking the year off, if only because it would put into question his motivations playing football.  Great football players don't willingly sit out a year, just to assure themselves of a paycheck.

Go and take out an insurance policy against his expected future earnings, and go out there and try to win some football games.

Read the OP, or the poll for that matter, it's basically the premise of the entire thread.

Agree with just about everybody - signing with an agent, sitting out, and protecting his health makes a little sense on paper, but the downside is way too big for any increase in security.  Play the year and take out insurance on future earnings if you can.

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 10:29:41 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I'd legally change my name.

Dang! You beat me to it! TP
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 10:35:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Read the OP, or the poll for that matter, it's basically the premise of the entire thread.

Agree with just about everybody - signing with an agent, sitting out, and protecting his health makes a little sense on paper, but the downside is way too big for any increase in security.  Play the year and take out insurance on future earnings if you can.
There is a big difference between taking a year off and working out every day, watching film every day, doing drills to improve your skills every day, etc.

Colleges don't necessarily prepare you for the NFL, that isn't there job, there job is to win football games.  If what you are doing works, the college coach isn't going to make it better when it might cost them wins.  Think of the classic QB throwing motion (like Tebow).  Tebow was winning so Urban Meyer had no reason to change his throwing motion, of course had Tebow changed his throwing motion his entire NFL career might look different.  Had he taken his last year and done nothing but improve his throwing motion, he might very well have been a top ten pick and be a starting QB in the league right now.  Now granted Clowney doesn't have those sort of glaring weaknesses, but he can probably improve his skills more in the one on one setting than he can by playing for South Carolina.  Of course then you don't get the game action, but you don't get the wear and tear either.  There are pros and cons each way, obviously, but it would be interesting to see what happened with Clowney if he actually took the year and did nothing but train and shoot for the draft rather than play at USC.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 10:49:54 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

There is a big difference between taking a year off and working out every day, watching film every day, doing drills to improve your skills every day, etc.

I think it's pretty clear everyone's referring to taking a year off from organized football and training individually, not backpacking across Europe or something. 

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 10:57:27 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I think it's pretty clear everyone's referring to taking a year off from organized football and training individually, not backpacking across Europe or something.
I get that, but for someone like Clowney I actually think taking the year off will make him a better player that is more prepared for the NFL than by playing at USC.

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 10:59:28 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
He's gotta play.  Sure if he signs with an agent he'll get to work out, etc to get ready for the NFL, but he won't have any game experience.  When he gets to the NFL he'll have gone basically 20 months or so without a football game.  He should take an insurance policy(if he hasn't already) and play football. 
do it

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 11:01:19 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Take the risk and play it out.

Sitting out a year is not going to help his cause.  Its certainly a risk but, then again, so is playing football in the first place.

If he sits out a year, I can almost guarantee that his draft position drops. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 11:03:49 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I get that, but for someone like Clowney I actually think taking the year off will make him a better player that is more prepared for the NFL than by playing at USC.

That would be a heck of a case to try to make the to GMs.  I am not sure any of them would buy it. 

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 05:10:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Does the Noel injury change anyone's mind?

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 06:05:23 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I'd legally change my name.

Dang! You beat me to it! TP

This :)

I thought for a second that this thread was making a pun of someone's name, but apparently not.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 06:51:45 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
He prettymuch has to play.  Just by not playing, that high draft status he has will suffer.  He'd still be a 1st or 2nd round pick, but he won't be a top 10 pick. Out of sight, out of mind.

This highlights my biggest beef with sports leagues, and college sports in particular.  South carolina is benefitting from Clowney a million time more than any benefit Clowney is recieving from the school.

Either pay the college kids, or let them earn a living in the NFl.  The whole systm is basically taking advantage of them, just because they can.  And the whole time the NFL union just brushes it off simply to protect their own jobs.

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2013, 05:51:11 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He prettymuch has to play.  Just by not playing, that high draft status he has will suffer.  He'd still be a 1st or 2nd round pick, but he won't be a top 10 pick. Out of sight, out of mind.

This highlights my biggest beef with sports leagues, and college sports in particular.  South carolina is benefitting from Clowney a million time more than any benefit Clowney is recieving from the school.

Either pay the college kids, or let them earn a living in the NFl.  The whole systm is basically taking advantage of them, just because they can.  And the whole time the NFL union just brushes it off simply to protect their own jobs.

I want no changes to the age for the players to enter the NFL.  They come in prepared to play.  I would love the MAN to do the same thing.

I would have no issue with them giving some money but the issue of paying other student athletes. 

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2013, 06:12:12 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Play the year and take out insurance on future earnings if you can.

This exactly.