Author Topic: Celtics interested in D Blair?  (Read 8776 times)

Re: Celtics interested in D Blair?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2013, 10:52:20 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Anyone else read the quote in the OP as "for nothing", like they would give him away for a top-57 protected 2nd or something?  It's a bit less appealing on the reread. 

Blair would be better than nothing  ;) but isn't going to be some game-changer here.  I do think fans would mostly like him, he plays hard and gritty despite some gaps in his game.

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 11:20:20 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
i'd love to get Blair. Too bad, I don't know what we can give up for him though. But his playstyle would've quickly endeared him to C's fans (methinks).

Maybe if it were a package, coz what the Celtics really need right now is a guard, regardless if it's a 1 or a 2
- LilRip

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 11:21:45 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I can't imagine SAS netting a mid-first for Blair. So I'd assume the trade would be Barbosa and a pick -- If the Cs only had to give up a 2nd for him, I'm game.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2013, 11:21:54 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Anyone else read the quote in the OP as "for nothing", like they would give him away for a top-57 protected 2nd or something?  It's a bit less appealing on the reread. 

Blair would be better than nothing  ;) but isn't going to be some game-changer here.  I do think fans would mostly like him, he plays hard and gritty despite some gaps in his game.

SA offered D Blair to Detroit but nothing. Hear Boston, Miami, Portland could have interest.

As in "but nothing came of it [trade talks]".

Not they offered Blair "for nothing in return".

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2013, 11:26:09 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I can't imagine SAS netting a mid-first for Blair. So I'd assume the trade would be Barbosa and a pick -- If the Cs only had to give up a 2nd for him, I'm game.
Yeah, trading Barbosa would be a good way to keep the roster spots open. Good idea.

I think that makes DeJuan Blair more valuable ... if you can keep those two extra roster spots open and bring in a big man who can play quality defense (like Kenyon Martin) in addition to Blair + still have a roster spot to spend to on a perimeter player.

The Celtics first round pick would be too high. Maybe they would need to trade down. Or maybe swap firsts with the Spurs. Em, huh, not wild about that idea. Two 2nd round picks maybe?

Maybe they could make those 2nd rounders conditional like the Rockets did with Houston so that San Antonio only gets them if they are in the top half of the 2nd round. That could be appealing. A pair of good 2nd rounders.

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2013, 11:34:06 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

SA offered D Blair to Detroit but nothing. Hear Boston, Miami, Portland could have interest.

Yeah, that's what I said - I misread it the first time, caught it, and was asking if anyone else made the same mistake.

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2013, 11:46:43 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Yeah, that's what I said - I misread it the first time, caught it, and was asking if anyone else made the same mistake.

No, San Antonio got 'nothing in terms of a reply', not as in they were offering DaJaun Blair for nothing actually IN return.

Hope that helps clear it up.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 11:56:03 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

No, San Antonio got 'nothing in terms of a reply', not as in they were offering DaJaun Blair for nothing actually IN return.

Hope that helps clear it up.

So you're saying they already traded him for nothing even though they wanted more?  Hmmm - seems like a bad move, but Popovich plays the long game...

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 11:56:38 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Yeah, trading Barbosa would be a good way to keep the roster spots open. Good idea.

I think that makes DeJuan Blair more valuable ... if you can keep those two extra roster spots open and bring in a big man who can play quality defense (like Kenyon Martin) in addition to Blair + still have a roster spot to spend to on a perimeter player.

The Celtics first round pick would be too high. Maybe they would need to trade down. Or maybe swap firsts with the Spurs. Em, huh, not wild about that idea. Two 2nd round picks maybe?

Maybe they could make those 2nd rounders conditional like the Rockets did with Houston so that San Antonio only gets them if they are in the top half of the 2nd round. That could be appealing. A pair of good 2nd rounders.

Yeah -- the 2 2nds crossed my mind. The Cs own some SAC picks a few years out (which would smell like good 2nd rounders). They could throw one in as well.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 12:07:49 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
He could definitely help us, but it is an issue of cost vs. benefit. He would provide good depth at the PF, but there is the risk that we can't afford him next year, so we are really only looking at a one year rental...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 12:11:06 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Yeah -- the 2 2nds crossed my mind. The Cs own some SAC picks a few years out (which would smell like good 2nd rounders). They could throw one in as well.

Was thinking the same: Barbosa and a future 2nd or two. Those Sacto 2nds will never come to Boston, though: they are so heavily protected (top-55, I think) that Sacto will never conceivably have to pay up.

Celtics have no 2013 2nds, but have two in 2014 (their own, and Brooklyn's). I'd be fine giving up one of those for Blair.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2013, 12:45:20 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
A 6-7 "center" who's averaging 4 rebounds a game?

No, thanks.
Minutes played matter. He's getting 13.7 MPG for the Spurs. That's 10 Reb per 36, he has a higher rebound rate than KG.

A fair point, and makes me more interested, but 6-7? Yikes. We're already undersized.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2013, 01:18:57 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Blair would instantly be our 2nd best big, even if Bass remained on the roster.

I could live with a big man rotation of: Garnett, Blair, Bass, Wilcox & Collins.  Green would still likely get minutes at PF too against the Knicks/Heat.

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2013, 01:21:52 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Would Blair's Bird Rights be acquired in the deal as well? Does he have Bird Rights at this point in his career?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2013, 01:38:48 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Blair has recently been sidelined with knee trouble:

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/01/30/notes-on-a-shootaround-blair-joins-duncan-on-injured-list/

Not a big deal normally, but it is a concern given his history. I'd hate to acquire a player who ends up sitting.