Author Topic: Is there any help in the D-League  (Read 1976 times)

Is there any help in the D-League
« on: February 11, 2013, 12:05:03 PM »

Offline FreeGreen

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 19
Hi All,

I'm sure some one out there who reads this board is up to speed on all the talent available in the D-League.

Is there someone out there who we could consider bringing in as a live body (PF or C) to bang the boards and play D for 10 minutes a game?

Even someone like Hollins last year would be a huge boon at this point.

If you're a D-League scholar, spin your wisdom my way.  That way when I'm watching the C's game with my friends I can sound smart when I casually throw out a few D-League prospects names.  :)

Re: Is there any help in the D-League
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 12:16:01 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The two D-League bigs I most suggest are Brian Butch, an older player who has some seasoning from playing in Europe, who has been putting up good rebounding and shotblocking numbers in the D-League while having three-point range on offense.  The former McDonalds All-American and Wisconsin (just like Stiemsma) center is who I would consider if I wanted a more mature player.

For a younger player who might have upside, I'd go with Henry Sims, formerly of Georgetown.  Not a good rebounder, but supposedly has good BBIQ.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 12:21:32 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Arinze Onuaku: 12.3 pts, 9.8 rebounds, 1 block in just 22.3 minutes.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 12:35:42 PM »

Offline galvinx10

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
A guy that I like is Vernon Macklin on Rio Grande Valley. In just 24 minutes, he is averaging 14.1 points, 5.8 rebounds and 1 block.

Ridiculousupside.com (if you want more info on the D league, I would definitely recommend this blog) describes him like this: "Macklin is a 6-foot, 10-inch power forward and a very strong post presence. He physically resembles Zach Randolph and has both a right handed baby hook and running hook as his "go to" moves. The big man has a very strong frame and deceptive athleticism. He has good instincts, uses his body well, feels the defense and reacts naturally, and finishes in the paint. Macklin establishes really good position in the post, often getting the ball deep into the post and makes a quick scoring move. The type of positioning he gets resembles former NBA player Ed Pinckney."

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 12:41:59 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I don't understand this, but if you are looking for a big who leads the D-League in both rebounds and blocks per 48 minutes, it is Hassan Whiteside.  He barely plays anymore however.  He is at 24 rebounds per and 7 something blocks but can't seem to make it on the floor for Rio Grande Valley.  I'd also add I watched Hassan play once this year during their Reno or wherever it was with all the d-league teams against the Redclaws and he was very intimidating.  After swatting a couple drives Maine really quit going inside against him.

He even shoots an outstanding .589 from the floor.

A guy to consider might be Tim Ohlbrecht.  Statistically he isn't better than Whiteside but he must be better to play so much more than him.

I'd also suggest Onuaku.  Solid all the way around stat wise but I've never actually seen him play.

Macklin is 47 on blocks/per and doesn't show up on top 50 of rebs per.  Rio Grande is loaded with bigs.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:49:02 PM by danglertx »

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 01:28:56 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I don't necessarily think this team needs to be looking for a big out of the D-League. The celtics go really lucky with Steimsma last year this isnt likely to happen again. Instead of trying to find a hard to get big I would rather see the Cs look for a 2/3 or a 3/4. If this teams is going to make any noise in the playoffs its is going to have to be playing small ball with Green playing more PF. Why not give DaJuan Summers a chance? He has good size 6'8 240 7' wingspan and has been puting up good d-league stats.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 01:54:07 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
As a Syracuse fan here's my report on Onuaku (as a college guy, haven't seen him since):

Undersized in terms of height but a big, wide body with broad shoulders.  Strength shouldn't be a problem but he's not a big-time banger.  Good rebounding instincts, and a good finisher around the rim - has a nice, consistent little baby hook.  But his hands are much worse at catching than shooting and he can struggle against physical defenses.  Very little passing ability. 

Defensively he was solid though unspectacular, but like Melo is used to a 2-3 set and may struggle to adjust to our rotations.  Probably physically incapable of defending out on the perimeter, at the very least mentally unprepared for it.  And he probably would've led Syracuse to a Final Four and maybe a title if stupid Greg Monroe hadn't injured him in the Big East tourney  >:(

Bottom line he's more NBA-ready than Melo is right now, but I wouldn't expect anything substantial other than another warm body as an emergency backup. 

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 02:16:33 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
yeah probaly the guy that has put the main claws on his back..CHRIS WRIGHT! He has been going off every game since he been on the claws. Idk why noone is looking at him thinkng aobut signing him, but the kid is a beast! Reminds me of a Josh Smith.

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 02:20:27 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
And i have also been stating for quite a while Fab Melo was trash even in the D-leauge. He does nothing and was a waste of a draft pick and still till this day I would of rather  PJ3

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 03:10:23 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
yeah probaly the guy that has put the main claws on his back..CHRIS WRIGHT! He has been going off every game since he been on the claws. Idk why noone is looking at him thinkng aobut signing him, but the kid is a beast! Reminds me of a Josh Smith.
chris wright or micah downs could help with forward depth.
idk, we need a legit center who is NBA ready.

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 03:11:35 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
There's a pretty good guy called Fab Melo, he made a D-League record in blocks a few weeks ago...
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 10:50:51 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Shelvin Mack (has had 3 10 day contracts this year, Wiz and'6ers
), Barbosa replacement.

Micah Downs can play the 2 or 3.

Vernon Macklin, Dajuan Summers, Mays.. bigs.....we need bodies!

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 11:16:32 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Kris Joseph???

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 11:28:30 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I'm down with some Shelvin Mack. He was nasty at Butler, right?