Author Topic: Brandon Bass Needs To Step-Up Or He Has To Go  (Read 7608 times)

Re: Brandon Bass Needs To Step-Up Or He Has To Go
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2013, 10:15:01 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'd probably keep Bass, though Beasley would be tempting. I just don't have much faith in his potential anymore.

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2013, 10:51:51 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'd probably keep Bass, though Beasley would be tempting. I just don't have much faith in his potential anymore.
Not sure why he would be tempting. He's been in the doghouse on every team he's been, and his production has fallen off a cliff. He can't get ahead of Jared Dudley and PJ Tucker in Phoenix at this point -- I don't think I'm going out on a limb when by saying that Bass is a more valuable team player at this point.

This, and we don't need a third SF.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2013, 11:05:27 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Not sure why he would be tempting. He's been in the doghouse on every team he's been, and his production has fallen off a cliff. He can't get ahead of Jared Dudley and PJ Tucker in Phoenix at this point -- I don't think I'm going out on a limb when by saying that Bass is a more valuable team player at this point.

I think he's still best as a PF, worst thing that happened to him is when he ended up in Minnesota and they tried to make him a SF.

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2013, 11:27:58 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

I think he's still best as a PF, worst thing that happened to him is when he ended up in Minnesota and they tried to make him a SF.
His problem at PF is that he's a pathetic rebounder (and if you thought Bass was bad -- Beasley is actually worse). I don't think he'll be any more useful at PF that Bargnani is, and I want no part of Bargs either.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2013, 11:36:55 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

His problem at PF is that he's a pathetic rebounder (and if you thought Bass was bad -- Beasley is actually worse). I don't think he'll be any more useful at PF that Bargnani is, and I want no part of Bargs either.
They are pretty similar, the difficulty with Beasley is that he has played SF a lot more and thus is further away from the hoop.  As a PF, Beasley is actually a better rebounder than Bass if you look at RB% (and discount Bass' first two seasons when he barely played).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2013, 11:46:14 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
If Phoenix offered Bass for Beasley, would you do it?  They have very similar contracts so the money is a wash, it comes down to preference on the player.  So what do you do if that deal is on the table.

I probably take the deal because for all of Beasley's flaws, he does have immense talent and maybe coming here with this team will get him to focus.  Since the dollars are the same, I say it is worth the risk. 

What say you?

And for the record that is about the only deal I can see for Bass, where he isn't just in there for dollars, and where no other assets are going out with him.

Oh my...

When people say they want to throw up when they read certain posts, I now know how they feel.

Bass is a GOOD fit for this team.  Beasley would be a bad fit.  I can't see him possibly learning our system and our team defense schemes.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2013, 12:00:14 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

They are pretty similar, the difficulty with Beasley is that he has played SF a lot more and thus is further away from the hoop.  As a PF, Beasley is actually a better rebounder than Bass if you look at RB% (and discount Bass' first two seasons when he barely played).
Assuming that his low TRR is an artifact of a position shift after he left Miami -- sure. I'll grant you that they're somewhat comparable.

One way or the other though, I don't think it's a clever long-term plan to invest resources in a PF who rebounds at the rate of Brandon Bass.

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2013, 01:43:03 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
There's a non-negligible chance that Beasley will be a more infuriating player than Vin Baker.  He's a soft pothead with a reputation for complaining if he doesn't get enough touches on offense and playing atrocious defense.  I would try to avoid him even if he was available as a minimum salary gamble.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2013, 01:47:23 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Assuming that his low TRR is an artifact of a position shift after he left Miami -- sure. I'll grant you that they're somewhat comparable.

One way or the other though, I don't think it's a clever long-term plan to invest resources in a PF who rebounds at the rate of Brandon Bass.
The investment in Beasley is actually a bit less than the investment in Bass.  So I fail to see what point you are getting at.

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2013, 09:42:36 PM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23

The investment in Beasley is actually a bit less than the investment in Bass.  So I fail to see what point you are getting at.

i'd better take my guy luis scola, best player in pheonix suns in a bad team

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2013, 10:18:51 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
As a player claimed on amnesty waivers, Scola can't be traded until July 1.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2013, 10:23:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I didn't mean money. I expect you the idea is to bring Beasley in order to groom him as some sort of a critical piece of the starting lineup, because he certainly isn't (and won't be) a roleplayer. That's, chiefly, a waste of time -- I'd stick with the known commodity, even if he wasn't picked second in the draft.

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2013, 10:27:40 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Bass been Thumpin

trade talks stop

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2013, 10:46:52 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
You guys don't see when he IS stepping up. Sigh. Trades, trades, trades are all you want!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2013, 11:04:03 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I didn't mean money. I expect you the idea is to bring Beasley in order to groom him as some sort of a critical piece of the starting lineup, because he certainly isn't (and won't be) a roleplayer. That's, chiefly, a waste of time -- I'd stick with the known commodity, even if he wasn't picked second in the draft.
No I just think he has more upside and a better chance to actually contribute in an effective manner.  He is a much more gifted all around offensive player, which is what the C's could use from the 4 spot.  Bass is pretty much a spot up shooter that has been unfortunately not hitting the broad side of a barn much this year.  I also think that if Beasley was actually in a good situation with a strong presence like KG that he might actually be a bit less of a knucklehead.