Author Topic: The RONDO bashing has got to stop  (Read 11293 times)

The RONDO bashing has got to stop
« on: February 11, 2013, 12:49:42 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Are we people too short sighted that Rondo is an integral part of this team? Even doc, danny, PP and KG have stipulated this in interviews?

We only can see that:

1. He is moody (although if you look at it Bird, russel hell even KG are moody);
2. He is a ball-hog (Doc's system dictated that he get the ball almost all of the time - doc is a stubborn goat who likes to executes plays which are at times stale already);

But look at rondo as a player, I am not a Rondo apologist - i sometimes am also frustrated by the way Rondo and the Celtics play - but I believe that we need him, and the team needs him.

the kid has heart and once he gets back he'll even be a stud for the celtics. Mark my words, If we traded him and he excels with the other team (think Tony Allen) Some people here will say "Man I wish we still had Rondo";
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

Re: The RONDO bashing has got to stop
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 12:53:31 AM »

Offline Scottie

• NGT
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 53
  • About five seconds after 17 O'clock!!
I'm not seeing any bashing of the guy, simple people speculation on scenario's for the team that don't involve him.

Perk was an integral part of the team too, remember? Doesn't mean they're here forever.

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 12:57:06 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
We have a BASH RONDO THREAD here.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 12:58:10 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Rondo criticism means rondo bashing? And why does it have to stop? If people feel like the celtics are better without rondo that's their opinion. I don't think we're better without him per say but I think we're better without him dominating the ball tho.

Sadly the only way that was going to stop was the exact way it did, by rondo going down with a season ending injury. That's more on doc than anything. He had the players to make it work, he just wasn't making it work. Another example of doc being overrated.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 01:05:08 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
Ball dominating plays are usually Doc's fave set-ups.

But now i believe that this (rondo's injury) has been a blessing in disguise for the Cs. I for one have been harping about Doc's play calling since the start of this season. He was not using his new players to their strengths. He tried to play Terry as a substitute for Judas - running the multiple screen plays for Terry to catch and shoot. Or using lee to that same effect.

But i still want Doc as our coach but he needs to adapt.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 01:12:52 AM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
Like the last poster said. People are not bashing Rondo. There calling it like it is, like it was, like some of the more insightful people were saying before Rondo went down.

Hes a great tallent but his dominance of the ball and selfish attitude that he had to be the one to make the pass was not conductive to our offense and allowed other teams to better prepare for us defensivly.

You don't go get guys like PP and KG whom are both fine facillitators of the offense then tie their hands and expect them to be catch and shoot player. And hope your team plays better.  Thats insane!!

I trust that by now Rondo's ego is alittle further in check and I expect his game to be changed when he returns. If not it's on Doc and Danny!

Now maybe people understand why Ray Allen left. He may have been the only one with the Bball iq and tact to try and address this issue. Yes I said tact as he handled it internaly until he left.  Thats class!

blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 01:13:01 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
It does seem strange the type of argumentative tactics Ive seen being used here when criticizing Rondo. We went (I think) 10-1 without KG, but we never thought we were better without KG, and bought that faith wholesale because of back credit accumulated. But we never brought up KG's lackluster games for parts of the 08 playoffs, never used the recent success as justification that KG was expendable or holding the team back, because he's Kevin Garnett, and we knew he was a critical leader who was the very bedrock of the team.

Rondo doesn't have KG's spotless reputation or his MVP pedigree, Rondo's a unique player whose game and reputation does have worts, and maybe that's why we're so quick to use this win streak as a justification. But the parrellels are there; Rondo is argumentably our most talented player, is indisputably a critical leader in the lockerroom, and is an important piece to the very bedrock of the current incarnation of the franchise. He's earned that.

And the reason why the argument is flawed is the same; the team has seen too much greatness, too much success with Rondo, and he's been so good that a 7 game win streak is a paltry sample size as proof positive that the team is 'better off without Rondo'. It should be dismissed out of hand, and no amount of wins between now and the All-star break can tip the scales to justify trading Rondo for anything other than his full value. As Chuck was once wont to say, 'Anything else, would be uncivilized'.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 01:16:55 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
It does seem strange the type of argumentative tactics Ive seen being used here when criticizing Rondo. We went (I think) 10-1 without KG, but we never thought we were better without KG, and bought that faith wholesale because of back credit accumulated. But we never brought up KG's lackluster games for parts of the 08 playoffs, never used the recent success as justification that KG was expendable or holding the team back, because he's Kevin Garnett, and we knew he was a critical leader who was the very bedrock of the team.

Rondo doesn't have KG's spotless reputation or his MVP pedigree, Rondo's a unique player whose game and reputation does have worts, and maybe that's why we're so quick to use this win streak as a justification. But the parrellels are there; Rondo is argumentably our most talented player, is indisputably a critical leader in the lockerroom, and is an important piece to the very bedrock of the current incarnation of the franchise. He's earned that.

And the reason why the argument is flawed is the same; the team has seen too much greatness, too much success with Rondo, and he's been so good that a 7 game win streak is a paltry sample size as proof positive that the team is 'better off without Rondo'. It should be dismissed out of hand, and no amount of wins between now and the All-star break can tip the scales to justify trading Rondo for anything other than his full value. As Chuck was once wont to say, 'Anything else, would be uncivilized'.

Man...I couldn't have put it any better.  Thanks for that.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 01:34:56 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

You can't compare losing KG to losing rondo. KG is heads and shoulders more important to the celtics than rondo will ever be. Also its not just the win streak its how we've played during it. This particular team has looked better without rondo than with him. Not talking about last years team or the one before that. I'm talking about this particular group of guys. I'm just calling it how i see it.

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 01:37:20 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Rondo........

who.    ???

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 01:39:27 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!

And there it is. tp

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 02:24:15 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466

Absolutely one of the best posts I have read here at celticsblog.  TP!
cheers

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 02:32:41 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

You can't compare losing KG to losing rondo. KG is heads and shoulders more important to the celtics than rondo will ever be. Also its not just the win streak its how we've played during it. This particular team has looked better without rondo than with him. Not talking about last years team or the one before that. I'm talking about this particular group of guys. I'm just calling it how i see it.

And why can't you compare them? Because KG is KG? Rondo's absence caused players who had been underperforming to play harder, the team gelled around the weakness, like a herd of Buffalo protecting an injured member. The same thing happened with Kg. glen Davis was kind of a big deal for a while there, and ultimately you can easily point to 2009 as the year that made BBD resent the 'shadow' he was playing under. Courtney Lee, similarly, was reported to be unhappy with his role wih Rondo, and Jason Terry hadnt yet found his rhythm.

It's the same thing, just one guy is unimpeachable because he's Kevin Garnett.

And the conclusion should be the same; even if the team can come together and play inspired ball for stretches, it doesn't mean we're better off without Rondo. It might just mean some guys needed a kick in the arse to play up to their ability.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 02:51:15 AM »

Offline krook

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 23
EDIT: Check PMs
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:56:28 AM by IndeedProceed »

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 02:55:19 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's not so much "bashing" as it is a necessary correction to the Rondo market.  Things had gotten out of hand here.  Too many crazy claims that he was the "best point guard in the league", too many people calling him the MVP of the team and a "superstar"...  and too many delusional folks arguing he was better than Chris Paul. 

These past 7 games have been enlightening.  Rondo's still a great player... he's just not a franchise player.  I still love him.  Enjoying the heck out of the way this team is playing without him, though.