Author Topic: If You're Danny, what do you do?  (Read 5640 times)

Re: If You're Danny, what do you do?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 11:55:39 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I work under the assumption that this team can be a contender next season when Rondo and Sullinger are hopefully healthy and I only make moves that don't decrease the team's ability to compete next season.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 11:59:13 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
There isn't a real reason to sell low on Rondo. I think you ride it out, or make a very small trade. I don't think he'll move picks, I don't think he'll move Bradley, Rondo or Sullinger, and at this point I don't think he moves Lee or Terry. Bass, maybe, but who's buying Bass-o-matic?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 12:03:18 AM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
I work under the assumption that this team can be a contender next season when Rondo and Sullinger are hopefully healthy and I only make moves that don't decrease the team's ability to compete next season.

The problem is that this team without Rondo playes much much better...This team now, does need Rondo. The team need a big man to help KG.

p.s.Do not connect Sully with Rondo situation

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 12:10:41 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I still think you have to try and move Bass. But if not able to try and get someone like K-mart. But if we could get a decent PF or Center and if we need to Sign a center. But gotta love the way this team is playing right now.

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 12:16:45 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
If I'm Danny I get Birdman... oh wait, too late, cHeat already did.

He is playing really well for them and is rounding into shape. That ticks me off b/c we needed him more and if we didn't try for him (I hope he turned us down), then we were stupid.

Now, we need a good big and while K-Mart isn't really a big, I think if he is healthy, we could use him! Get K-Mart and give picks for Dalembert and we're cooking!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 12:18:26 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

The problem is that this team without Rondo playes much much better...This team now, does need Rondo. The team need a big man to help KG.

p.s.Do not connect Sully with Rondo situation

The team playing well right now doesn't equal the team playing better without Rondo over the course of a season. Every team has ebbs and flows. The best teams ebb less and flow more. 7 good games, 10 good games isn't a reason to trade your best building block and arguably your best player.

The team playing better without Rondo right now is what prop Joe would call 'one of them good problems'. It means we have a reason to watch.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 09:47:33 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
There isn't a real reason to sell low on Rondo. I think you ride it out, or make a very small trade. I don't think he'll move picks, I don't think he'll move Bradley, Rondo or Sullinger, and at this point I don't think he moves Lee or Terry. Bass, maybe, but who's buying Bass-o-matic?

How about to increase the Cs slim chances of winning a title in 2013? If not now, then when?

I agree with you that without trading Rondo the Cs would only make a very small move, and would not trade Lee or Terry. Bass is not tradable for anything other than another mediocre long-term commitment (Gooden, etc). Rondo is the only asset who could bring back a player(s) of substantial impact.

Banner 18 is paramount to me. I'm not as enamored of building around Rondo as others, so I don't mind trading him to take a more serious shot at said banner.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 09:55:40 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Answer the phones.

Listen to the offers.

If one comes that you like, agree to the trade.

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 10:22:58 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Answer the phones.

Listen to the offers.

No proactivity?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 10:26:22 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Answer the phones.

Listen to the offers.

No proactivity?

Closer to the deadline if there is a contract the team wants to clear. 

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 10:26:27 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Easy answer. I...

Answer the phones.

Listen to the offers.

^^do that.
:)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 10:27:01 AM »

Offline kgfor3

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
When's the last time a trade happened involving a player who just tore his ACL?

My guess is never...

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 10:32:09 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
I don't think there is a deal out there to build "the next great Celtics team."

Our best chance of winning it all the next two years are with Pierce and Garnett.  Maybe we pick up a C this year, there will probably be a couple buyouts.

If not, we get a D-League big and maybe Chris Wright who would really fit with this up and down style and see what happens.
sure that would be our best chance, but how realistic is it.  If you are just prolonging rebuilding to squeeze a playoff series victory or two, but not get all that close to a title, what are you really doing?

The Celtics need to decide, and decide very quickly, just how close to a title they think they are and go from there. 

I personally think Boston is pretty far away and thus if I was running the team, I would be looking to dump salary and pick up assets and start rebuilding.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 10:34:22 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
This is a tough spot for Danny to be in. The team is playing inspired ball but the pieces just aren't there for championship contention.

I would look to move bass in a deal that hopefully cuts the 1.5 mill to get cs out of luxury tax and brings in another 3/4. Move green into starting line up. Sign a fa Sf ( Gary Forbes?) and play out th year with small ball.

On draft night I would seriously consider trading rondo. My target would be a pg or center and top three pick. Ex dragic and 1st ( if top 3) or sessions and 1st. Goal being to get Noel worst case settle for Len.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 10:35:57 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
If I'm Ainge, I'm scouring the league for potential bigs I can add, particularly those who might be bought out.

And I'm laughing uproariously at all of the people who thought the season ended when Rondo went down, and laughing even harder at the ambulance chasers just dying to see this team blown up.

Add a big, and with the clearly improved product on the floor, who knows how long this season lasts.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."