Poll

Is Jason Terry a Hall of Famer?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Is Jason Terry a HOFer?  (Read 16211 times)

Re: Is Jason Terry a HOFer?
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2013, 08:58:14 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Ralph Sampson made it.  ::)

You have to remember it's not the nba hof, it's the basketball hof. Ralph gets a decent amount of credit for his 4 years at Virginia.

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2013, 08:58:52 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not even close.  can't understand what rationale was used by those that voted yes to this.

Players going into the HOF should have been truly dominant players in the league that played at that level for many years.   Someone who has put their team on their backs night after night to carry them

JET's never been a dominant player in any year.

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2013, 10:21:57 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Well, b-r.com's for Hall of Fame probability have Bosh at 89.17% (or approximately between Ray Allen and Kevin McHale) and Jason Terry at 1.6% (or less than Antoine Walker...or Rajon Rondo, for that matter).

EDIT: Well, I was slow looking stuff up.

Steve Nash is at .57............ and Bosh is at 89... Bosh is a ****ing dinosaur that rides the coat tails of 2 better team mates. I actually find it hard for Wade to be that high.

Nash > Wade in HoF standard imho

That formula puts too much emphasis on championships, because I think Nash is a surefire HOFer
You have it backwards.  The formula is based on players that are actually in the HOF.  It looks at their stats, career achievements, etc. and then the formula is created.  So it doesn't put too much emphasis on championships it is just that guys that win championships as a 1st or 2nd or option on the team by and large make the HOF.  MVP's is the other thing that rates very highly.  IN fact there isn't a single MVP that is eligible that isn't in the HOF, so I am a bit surprised Nash is that low since he has 2 of them.

Well, Nash didn't win a championship and has MVPs, he's almost a guaranteed lock... yet the formula says he is .57, doesn't that mean the formula puts too much emphasis on championships??

The formula is based on who is already in the HOF, so it would be more accurate to say that it is the HOF that puts too much emphasis on championships and the formula reflects that bias.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2013, 10:49:27 AM »

Offline LEHGOCELTICS

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
No. But Dallas should retire his jersey.

all in for r rondo all in for r rondo all in for r rondo all in for r rondo all in for r rondo

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2013, 10:50:14 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
No

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2013, 10:50:34 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah.

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2013, 10:51:42 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Agreed.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2013, 10:59:14 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
No.

Doesn't pass the eyeball test in my book and pretty sure the stats would reiterate that.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2013, 11:06:13 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Well, b-r.com's for Hall of Fame probability have Bosh at 89.17% (or approximately between Ray Allen and Kevin McHale) and Jason Terry at 1.6% (or less than Antoine Walker...or Rajon Rondo, for that matter).

EDIT: Well, I was slow looking stuff up.

Steve Nash is at .57............ and Bosh is at 89... Bosh is a ****ing dinosaur that rides the coat tails of 2 better team mates. I actually find it hard for Wade to be that high.

Nash > Wade in HoF standard imho

Not only a difference in championships...Los Nash has never ever played defense at even an amateurish level.  Much as I despise Wade's dirty cheapshotting play...Along with the championships...At least Wade shows up on both ends of the court.

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2013, 11:16:02 AM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
Have 12 people really voted yes on this or is that an error in the poll?

He's not even close.  He's a great player and I'm glad he's a Celtic, but he'd easily be the worst Hall of Famer in history.

Is there any season in his career where he was even a top 15 player?  Nevermind top 5 or top 10.

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2013, 12:11:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
why?  he played 8 seasons there and wasn't much of anything except a volume scorer off the bench.  No all star appearances.  No All NBA teams, or All Defensive teams.  He did win the 6th man of the year award.

There is only 1 Maverick that should have his number retired and the minute Dirk retires it will go in the rafters.  Finley, Kidd, and even Derrick Harper and Rolando Blackman are all more deserving of having their number in the rafters than Terry is and you could even argue Mark Aquirre as well.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2013, 05:56:05 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Come on people, the very question is ridiculous.  Jason Terry has never even made an all star team.  And we're wondering whether he'll get into the HOF?

Bosh, incidentally, has made it to eight all star games (out of ten years).  So yeah, he'll likely get in to the HOF.

Edit to add:  And can people stop calling Terry a great player.  Great players get in the HOF.  He ain't that. 

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2013, 10:30:14 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
This must be a joke, right?

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2013, 03:55:48 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Jet has a realistic shot at getting to twenty grand in points scored by the end of his career.  Hopefully, he can get another title as well to add to his resume.

That probably still wouldn't be enough for him to be a Hall of Famer, but Terry's consistency, durability, longevity, competitiveness, and professionalism over the course of his career are very impressive and, in my opinion, underrated. 

I'm glad he's a Celtic, and I think his contributions will keep getting bigger and bigger as the games gets more meaningful. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2013, 04:20:14 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
Jet has a realistic shot at getting to twenty grand in points scored by the end of his career.  Hopefully, he can get another title as well to add to his resume.

That probably still wouldn't be enough for him to be a Hall of Famer, but Terry's consistency, durability, longevity, competitiveness, and professionalism over the course of his career are very impressive and, in my opinion, underrated. 

I'm glad he's a Celtic, and I think his contributions will keep getting bigger and bigger as the games gets more meaningful.

I don't really see Terry or any of his attributes as underrated in any way.  I think the mere fact that several consider him a potential Hall of Famer despite 0 All-Star appearances, 0 All-NBA appearances, and 0 MVP votes over the course of his career show his career to be overrated if anything.

Fans tend to overrate scoring over all other attributes of the game, so a player who is 6'2 and a poor defender and mediocre passer (at best), and was never a top 20 player in the NBA, is considered an option for the HOF.

I don't think anyone underrates his consistency, durability, longevity, competitiveness, and professionalism.  A whole lot more than that is needed to get into the Hall of Fame though.  The Hall of Fame is for the elite of the elite.  It cheapens guys like Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett to consider Jason Terry as on their level and would be a real slap in the face to JoJo White (who has more NBA titles, a Finals MVP, 7 All-Star appearances, 2 All-NBA appearances, and was a much better all-around player but is not in the Hall).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 04:41:37 PM by celtsfan84 »