Poll

Is Jason Terry a Hall of Famer?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Is Jason Terry a HOFer?  (Read 16202 times)

Re: Is Jason Terry a HOFer?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 10:52:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
definitely not.  He's been a role player for most of his career

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Does anybody remember what the score was before terry hit that big 3? I'm trying to remember.

113-all
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2013, 11:07:39 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

what does it mean to be a role player? Is this used to describe non-eilte players. It cannot just mean players that perform a role because all players perform a role some to lead some to support. If you fulfill your 'role' as a supporting player magnificently why should you not be considered for the hall of fame. After all we know that BB is a team game and championships are won by teams not individuals. Therefore, I do not see why been just a 'role' player should take one out of the running for the Hall.

Was Horry a role player.. he has more rings than MJ with multiple teams - Is he a HOF?

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 11:13:02 PM »

Offline TerreHaute

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
No. How many 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team all-NBA appearances does he have? I really don't know, but I would bet it's a low number. If so, how can a guy not be one of the top 15 players in the league for most of his career and be a HOF player?

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2013, 03:19:43 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
No.  The 2011 playoff run was a nice highlight for his career. But on the whole he's been a high-usage clutch-shooting sixth man in the NBA.  That's a very respectable career, but not HoF caliber.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2013, 03:56:53 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283

what does it mean to be a role player? Is this used to describe non-eilte players. It cannot just mean players that perform a role because all players perform a role some to lead some to support. If you fulfill your 'role' as a supporting player magnificently why should you not be considered for the hall of fame. After all we know that BB is a team game and championships are won by teams not individuals. Therefore, I do not see why been just a 'role' player should take one out of the running for the Hall.

Was Horry a role player.. he has more rings than MJ with multiple teams - Is he a HOF?
if terry had 6 rings it would be a different story

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2013, 04:28:17 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Well, b-r.com's for Hall of Fame probability have Bosh at 89.17% (or approximately between Ray Allen and Kevin McHale) and Jason Terry at 1.6% (or less than Antoine Walker...or Rajon Rondo, for that matter).

EDIT: Well, I was slow looking stuff up.

Steve Nash is at .57............ and Bosh is at 89... Bosh is a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing dinosaur that rides the coat tails of 2 better team mates. I actually find it hard for Wade to be that high.

Nash > Wade in HoF standard imho

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2013, 06:38:05 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
NO, he is not a HoF.

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2013, 07:23:49 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Well, b-r.com's for Hall of Fame probability have Bosh at 89.17% (or approximately between Ray Allen and Kevin McHale) and Jason Terry at 1.6% (or less than Antoine Walker...or Rajon Rondo, for that matter).

Steve Nash is at .57............ and Bosh is at 89... Bosh is a ****ing dinosaur that rides the coat tails of 2 better team mates. I actually find it hard for Wade to be that high.

That formula puts too much emphasis on championships, because I think Nash is a surefire HOFer
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2013, 08:30:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Steve Nash is at .57............ and Bosh is at 89... Bosh is a ****ing dinosaur that rides the coat tails of 2 better team mates. I actually find it hard for Wade to be that high.

That formula puts too much emphasis on championships, because I think Nash is a surefire HOFer
You have it backwards.  The formula is based on players that are actually in the HOF.  It looks at their stats, career achievements, etc. and then the formula is created.  So it doesn't put too much emphasis on championships it is just that guys that win championships as a 1st or 2nd or option on the team by and large make the HOF.  MVP's is the other thing that rates very highly.  IN fact there isn't a single MVP that is eligible that isn't in the HOF, so I am a bit surprised Nash is that low since he has 2 of them.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2013, 08:36:32 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He belongs in the "Hall of Very Good", but he's not a HOFer.

At the same time, Terry's career numbers are very similar to Jo Jo White's.  As a hypocritical homer, I'd vote White in, and leave Terry out.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2013, 08:37:55 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
this was discussed when he first came to boston. he is no way a hall of famer and if he by some chance were to get in, then the hof has significantly lowered its standards imo

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2013, 08:39:36 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

You have it backwards.  The formula is based on players that are actually in the HOF.  It looks at their stats, career achievements, etc. and then the formula is created.  So it doesn't put too much emphasis on championships it is just that guys that win championships as a 1st or 2nd or option on the team by and large make the HOF.  MVP's is the other thing that rates very highly.  IN fact there isn't a single MVP that is eligible that isn't in the HOF, so I am a bit surprised Nash is that low since he has 2 of them.

Well, Nash didn't win a championship and has MVPs, he's almost a guaranteed lock... yet the formula says he is .57, doesn't that mean the formula puts too much emphasis on championships??

this was discussed when he first came to boston. he is no way a hall of famer and if he by some chance were to get in, then the hof has significantly lowered its standards imo

Ralph Sampson made it.  ::)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2013, 08:40:27 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Not even close...long sustained good play....never been a star, if they made a hall for role players then yes he could go their with the likes of John Paxson and Danny ainge

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2013, 08:47:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Well, Nash didn't win a championship and has MVPs, he's almost a guaranteed lock... yet the formula says he is .57, doesn't that mean the formula puts too much emphasis on championships??

Ralph Sampson made it.  ::)
Actually, I looked, it appears that MVP's aren't counted.  I thought they were at one time.  Nash will get in because of the MVP's I would suspect, but perhaps that thing needs to better account for MVP's.  What really hurts Nash though is he had a lot of seasons at the beginning of his career that weren't very good.  I mean he didn't even get to 8 apg until his 8th year at the age of 29 and he has never had more than 18.8 ppg.  That really hurts his overall numbers.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip