Author Topic: Big man depth  (Read 4967 times)

Re: Big man depth
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 02:20:29 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Our big man depth sucks.  We need at least one more guy who can contribute for 20 minutes a game.

Without "Melo" as their last name too.
How about BEN WALLACE?!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 02:22:05 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Our big man depth is not that bad, we have 4 players currently who are big-men rotation players, and two open roster spaces yet to be filled.
I don't think Jason Collins counts as a rotation caliber big.

Collins is a top notch third string center. Collins is someone who can be useful in specific situations but not on a nightly basis. I am very happy with him in that role.

Collins is a liability when used as a regular rotation player. Too limited a player for that. Too much of a liability offensively and as a rebounder and not good enough defensively to make up for that. A net negative in that role. I say a player is not a rotation caliber guy when he is a liability in that role. 

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 02:22:25 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Our big man depth sucks.  We need at least one more guy who can contribute for 20 minutes a game.

Without "Melo" as their last name too.
How about BEN WALLACE?!

Wallace is cooked.  Kenyon Metin would be nice, but I don't know if Boston's interested.

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 02:23:36 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Our big man depth is not that bad, we have 4 players currently who are big-men rotation players, and two open roster spaces yet to be filled.

Collins is a top notch third string center. Collins is someone who can be useful in specific situations but not on a nightly basis. I am very happy with him in that role.

Collins is a liability when used as a regular rotation player. Too limited a player for that. Too much of a liability offensively and as a rebounder and not good enough defensively to make up for that. A net negative in that role. I say a player is not a rotation caliber guy when he is a liability in that role.

He's a top-notch third string that should be played until we get a pickup... but when he is in the rotation, he can pick up his role adequately.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=62674.0

Collins can be an average second-string if necessary... but hopefully not forever. He can give a solid 8-10 minutes nightly
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 02:25:52 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If we can get a good big it would be helpful, but since Rondo and Sully have went down they have went small and had great success.

On the season, Green is actually playing better at the four than the three (+61 at pf, -15 at Sf). We don't want to add a big that will ultimately hurt Jeff Green's progression.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 02:28:28 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
How about Sofoklis Schortsanitis (aka Baby Shaq)? He torched team USA a while back. Let's trade with the hawks to get his rights and convince him to come over asap. Hey, we have to get creative!

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 02:29:13 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
If we can get a good big it would be helpful, but since Rondo and Sully have went down they have went small and had great success.

On the season, Green is actually playing better at the four than the three (+61 at pf, -15 at Sf). We don't want to add a big that will ultimately hurt Jeff Green's progression.

he is better at PF? O_O that's crazy... i wonder why. he's undersized! but i remember vs. the lakers he made that nice finger-roll and was able to get past PFs to the rack easily
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 02:35:18 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

he is better at PF? O_O that's crazy... i wonder why. he's undersized! but i remember vs. the lakers he made that nice finger-roll and was able to get past PFs to the rack easily
To be fair these numbers are on the season. During this recent run of success he has played a lot more PF than at any other point in the season, so these numbers might be skewed because he's playing better recently.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 02:37:47 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

To be fair these numbers are on the season. During this recent run of success he has played a lot more PF than at any other point in the season, so these numbers might be skewed because he's playing better recently.

Must be, since I always thought he was a way better SF than PF
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 03:01:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

We also have 4 players for the backcourt and 2 players for the SF position.

One injury = end of season even if it's Barbosa, Wilcox or Collins...

Look at Denver's roster... 15 players >_<

[and Melo should never go into our rotation this year]

Barbosa goes down, 3-man rotation is all you need, and Pierce can play SG too.

SF depth is one of my main concerns.

SF is our deepest position with Lee, Pierce, Green all able to fill in.

Barbosa goes down, Bradley/Lee/Terry could cut it... but I wouldn't like it at all. They'd be gassed by the playoffs. Terry is old, Lee/Bradley can only play so many minutes. Pierce would have to move to PG/SG at times leaving Green playing big minutes at the SF (which is all of your worst dreams) and KG/Bass/Wilcox basically taking on all frontcourt duties. Collins would need like 15 mpg o_o

I don't want Lee anywhere at SF except in case of high emergency.

If Barbosa leaves we have a high emergency.

If Barbosa went down... something bad would happen along the lines of:
PG | Bradley: 25 minutes, Lee: 10 minutes, Terry: 13 minutes
SG | Lee: 18 minutes, Terry: 18 minutes Pierce: 12 minutes
SF | Green: 30 minutes, Pierce: 18 minutes
PF | Garnett: 20 minutes, Bass: 28 minutes
C  | Garnett: 10 minutes, Wilcox: 18 minutes, Collins: 12 minutes

YUCK!

I would say it would be more like

PG - Bradley (30), Terry (18)
SG - Lee (30), Terry (10), Pierce (8)
SF - Pierce (26-28), Green (20-22)

Big man slots same as before.

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 03:06:32 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

We also have 4 players for the backcourt and 2 players for the SF position.

One injury = end of season even if it's Barbosa, Wilcox or Collins...

Look at Denver's roster... 15 players >_<

[and Melo should never go into our rotation this year]

SF is our deepest position with Lee, Pierce, Green all able to fill in.

Barbosa goes down, Bradley/Lee/Terry could cut it... but I wouldn't like it at all. They'd be gassed by the playoffs. Terry is old, Lee/Bradley can only play so many minutes. Pierce would have to move to PG/SG at times leaving Green playing big minutes at the SF (which is all of your worst dreams) and KG/Bass/Wilcox basically taking on all frontcourt duties. Collins would need like 15 mpg o_o

I don't want Lee anywhere at SF except in case of high emergency.

If Barbosa leaves we have a high emergency.

If Barbosa went down... something bad would happen along the lines of:
PG | Bradley: 25 minutes, Lee: 10 minutes, Terry: 13 minutes
SG | Lee: 18 minutes, Terry: 18 minutes Pierce: 12 minutes
SF | Green: 30 minutes, Pierce: 18 minutes
PF | Garnett: 20 minutes, Bass: 28 minutes
C  | Garnett: 10 minutes, Wilcox: 18 minutes, Collins: 12 minutes

YUCK!

I would say it would be more like

PG - Bradley (30), Terry (18)
SG - Lee (30), Terry (10), Pierce (8)
SF - Pierce (26-28), Green (20-22)

Big man slots same as before.

Maybe a few more for Green (26) could work! :)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 03:27:33 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

I am not sure which is more important to me. An extra guard or that third SF.

The third SF was a priority for me all season until Rondo went down. Now Sully has gone down too. Plus, there is Fab Melo. That is three empty roster spots. That is a pain.

We would've had great depth with five rotation caliber guards, two rotation caliber SFs and a third stringer and then 7 big men (well, 6 playable guys + Fab Melo). Protection / insurance all over the court. Take three roster spots away and things get tight.

They need at least more one rotation caliber big man preferably Kenyon Martin. That gives them 11 roster spots. Five bigs, two SFs and four guards.

Then you have the injury risk with Chris Wilcox (suddenly back down to 3 rotation bigs)+ the lack of SF depth behind Pierce / Green + the lack of guard depth behind rotation guys.

Three holes to fill and only one roster spot to do it.

I am not sure which one is the most important.

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 03:29:42 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

I am not sure which is more important to me. An extra guard or that third SF.

The third SF was a priority for me all season until Rondo went down. Now Sully has gone down too. Plus, there is Fab Melo. That is three empty roster spots. That is a pain.

We would've had great depth with five rotation caliber guards, two rotation caliber SFs and a third stringer and then 7 big men (well, 6 playable guys + Fab Melo). Protection / insurance all over the court. Take three roster spots away and things get tight.

They need at least more one rotation caliber big man preferably Kenyon Martin. That gives them 11 roster spots. Five bigs, two SFs and four guards.

Then you have the injury risk with Chris Wilcox + the lack of SF depth behind Pierce / Green + the lack of guard depth behind rotation guys. Three holes to fill and only one roster spot to do it.

I am not sure which one is the most important.

We have three players who CAN play SF at above average and one who can play if necessary.

As opposed to C, where we have 1 who can play at above average two who can play if necessary.

Need at C > Need at SF
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 09:45:25 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550

our quality blows. wilcox? lol. collins? BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2013, 09:50:50 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Well, I was responding on the context of depth.