Author Topic: Barbosa = Pietrus of the year?  (Read 6979 times)

Re: Barbosa = Pietrus of the year?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 02:23:06 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
They're two totally different players.  Barbosa is good on offense and Pietrus is good on defense.

Pietrus was invaluable when he got those offensive rebounds in game 4 vs Miami and then the daggers in game 5.

Let's wait to see if Barbosa can give us something like that in the playoffs.

Pietrus also came up empty on offense pretty often in the playoffs. His defense was also not what it used to be before his knee issues.

Those are two big reasons we didn't pay to get him back, and no other teams were knocking the door down to grab him either.

But how about Barbosa for next year/beyond?

I think what he does in the 2nd half of this year and the playoffs will determine his next contract. If he looks healthy enough and comes up with some big contributions, some team will throw money at him and he will leave. If not, we could possibly re-sign him for cheap and keep him as a backup, but we may not want to. I think unlike Pietrus, Barbosa is fully healthy this year.

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2013, 02:24:25 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
They're two totally different players.  Barbosa is good on offense and Pietrus is good on defense.

Pietrus was invaluable when he got those offensive rebounds in game 4 vs Miami and then the daggers in game 5.

Let's wait to see if Barbosa can give us something like that in the playoffs.

Pietrus also came up empty on offense pretty often in the playoffs. His defense was also not what it used to be before his knee issues.

Those are two big reasons we didn't pay to get him back, and no other teams were knocking the door down to grab him either.

But how about Barbosa for next year/beyond?

I think what he does in the 2nd half of this year and the playoffs will determine his next contract. If he looks healthy enough and comes up with some big contributions, some team will throw money at him and he will leave. If not, we could possibly re-sign him for cheap and keep him as a backup, but we may not want to. I think unlike Pietrus, Barbosa is fully healthy this year.

Pietrus was OK until that concussion/surgery threw his career all over the place...
Barbosa can be a good pickup for next year.... I wanna keep him
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2013, 02:24:42 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
I think Pietrus played severely below our expectations of him.  That award should go to Courtney Lee.

True. Pietrus was, and still has not, recovered from his knee issues though. He may never recover and be the player he was in orlando again.

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 02:25:42 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
I think Pietrus played severely below our expectations of him.  That award should go to Courtney Lee.

True. Pietrus was, and still has not, recovered from his knee issues though. He may never recover and be the player he was in orlando again.

He was a benchwarmer in Orlando!! check out the orlando forums and he'll be regarded as a collins-type player >_>

he was way better in boston than in orlando
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 02:29:33 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

He was a benchwarmer in Orlando!! check out the orlando forums and he'll be regarded as a collins-type player >_>

Are you kidding me?

Pietrus played a big role in Orlando making the Finals.

He hits daggers vs. us, and played solid defense on LeBron.  He was a major role player in Orlando.

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2013, 02:29:41 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

He had some great playoff series in orlando. He was a celtics killer and played fantastic defense. He definitely lost a few steps since then.

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2013, 02:31:25 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

He had some great playoff series in orlando. He was a celtics killer and played fantastic defense. He definitely lost a few steps since then.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pietrmi01.html

2008-09 9.4 pts
2009-10 8.7 pts
2010-11 6.7 pts

Went down-down-down
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2013, 02:34:26 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pietrmi01.html

2008-09 9.4 pts
2009-10 8.7 pts
2010-11 6.7 pts

Went down-down-down

Not to mention his stats in phoenix. He was having a nice career until his knee issues.

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2013, 02:39:13 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Pietrus was the most likable Celtic ever that was absolutely atrocious

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2013, 02:40:59 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

he wanted so much to remain a celtic that I felt bad for him to see him not re-signed. Still, I fully understand Ainge's decision considering Pietrus' play.

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2013, 02:42:53 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

Um yeah this couldn't be further from the truth...he was huge in the series against us and the Cavaliers that got the magic to the finals...yeah his play suffered in the coming years and even worse when with us as far as I'm concerned

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2013, 02:44:14 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

he wanted so much to remain a celtic that I felt bad for him to see him not re-signed. Still, I fully understand Ainge's decision considering Pietrus' play.

Agreed, I actually liked the guy and the Celtic pride he showed but man was he bad in the playoffs

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2013, 02:48:16 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

Um yeah this couldn't be further from the truth...he was huge in the series against us and the Cavaliers that got the magic to the finals...yeah his play suffered in the coming years and even worse when with us as far as I'm concerned

his career was moving in the wrong direction by the time he came to us, and it started going up a little again...

Agreed, I actually liked the guy and the Celtic pride he showed but man was he bad in the playoffs

i guess he did suck
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2013, 02:49:25 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198

Cost the Celtics Game 6 against the Heat last year, would never forget how horrible he was

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2013, 02:51:32 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Cost the Celtics Game 6 against the Heat last year, would never forget how horrible he was

Let's hope then that Barbosa is not the "Pietrus of the year"