Author Topic: Barbosa = Pietrus of the year?  (Read 6981 times)

Barbosa = Pietrus of the year?
« on: February 10, 2013, 01:35:33 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Isn't Barbosa playing like the Pietrus of the year?

Playing at a low price for us, yet making a big impact on the floor. I hope we make the right decision this summer to resign him, unlike letting Pietrus go.

He seems like a dedicated Celtic, works hard every day. I like him.

And he's Brazilian and can mesh with Melo to make a devastating pick and roll combo (lol.)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Re: Barbosa = Pietrus of the year?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 01:38:43 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Pietrus? I think you're confused about his contributions to the Celtics.

But Barbosa's role is not worth more than the vet. min. or the bi-annual exception if available to us. Same thing with Pietrus.

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 01:43:07 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

But Barbosa's role is not worth more than the vet. min. or the bi-annual exception if available to us. Same thing with Pietrus.

Barbosa is definitely worth more than the vet. min...
Pietrus was our greatest motivator last year and also a good backup to Pierce, he also should get more than the vet. min,

The vet. min is for people like Jason Collins and Keyon Dooling. Barbosa/Pietrus should make more than 2 million a year at the VERY least
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 01:46:14 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Pietrus was our greatest motivator last year and also a good backup to Pierce, he also should get more than the vet. min,

The vet. min is for people like Jason Collins and Keyon Dooling. Barbosa/Pietrus should make more than 2 million a year at the VERY least

The problem is that we have other roster priorities and limited resources to get them, so no, I can't see Barbosa being valued more than vet. min., considering how deep we're in our guard rotation, and with the return of Rondo, how much bench he'll be eating for someone to be making more than vet. min.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 01:47:26 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

The problem is that we have other roster priorities and limited resources to get them, so no, I can't see Barbosa being valued more than vet. min., considering how deep we're in our guard rotation, and with the return of Rondo, how much bench he'll be eating for someone to be making more than vet. min.

We'll never have consistency then if all we do is get players like Pietrus/Barbosa on vet. min deals since the next year, they leave for better deals... :\ They're necessary for a championship.

Did you see how much money Barbosa was making last year?? That's what he deserves!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 01:48:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I am not sure what you mean by "Pietrus of the Year" but if you mean it as an unassuming role bench player that just does his thing and then every once in a while gets crazy good then yeah, Barbosa could be looked that way.

Still an award of that type needs to be called the Charlie Scott Award.

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 01:48:39 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
I am not sure what you mean by "Pietrus of the Year" but if you mean it as an unassuming role bench player that just does his thing and then every once in a while gets crazy good then yeah, Barbosa could be looked that way.

Still an award of that type needs to be called the Charlie Scott Award.

Yea, that's basically it, he does more than he's paid and is very valuable. Every team needs a Pietrus/Barbosa type player
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 01:50:05 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

We'll never have consistency then if all we do is get players like Pietrus/Barbosa on vet. min deals since the next year, they leave for better deals... :\ They're necessary for a championship.

Did you see how much money Barbosa was making last year?? That's what he deserves!

consistency is not supposed to come from the 8th-12th guys on the team, which is what Pietrus and Barbosa are. It comes from the top 5 players, Pierce, KG, Rondo, Bradley, and unfortunately in our case, Bass and Green.

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 01:52:07 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Deserving, and what we can/should give him to stay in our roster are two different things.

I don't know what the heck you're talking about consistency, but we have Rondo, Courtney Lee, Jason Terry, Avery Bradley signed for 3 years. In addition, we have Green and Garnett signed for 4 and 3 years, and Sully for 4/5 years, and Pierce here for long as KG is here most probably.

What consistency are you specifically talking about when considering our 5th/6th guard in our rotation?

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 01:53:54 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Deserving, and what we can/should give him to stay in our roster are two different things.

I don't know what the heck you're talking about consistency, but we have Rondo, Courtney Lee, Jason Terry, Avery Bradley signed for 3 years. In addition, we have Green and Garnett signed for 4 and 3 years, and Sully for 4/5 years, and Pierce here for long as KG is here most probably.

What consistency are you specifically talking about when considering our 5th/6th guard in our rotation?

LOL

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 01:55:51 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

If a player gets paid $850k, yet plays like a $3 million dollar player for a year (and has been consistent every year of his career except the one where he got offered $850k), how much should he make when he looks for his next contract??
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 02:00:07 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

If a player gets paid $850k, yet plays like a $3 million dollar player for a year (and has been consistent every year of his career except the one where he got offered $850k), how much should he make when he looks for his next contract??

This has nothing to do with what the Celtics should give him.

What you should be thinking about is what resources we have at our disposal, and how we allocate them, particularly finding an upgrade for our center rotation, an additional SF since we only have two at the moment.

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 02:01:47 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

What you should be thinking about is what resources we have at our disposal, and how we allocate them, particularly finding an upgrade for our center rotation, an additional SF since we only have two at the moment.

Clearly that's not our plan, because the only guys Danny tried to get as bigs were Collins/Wilcox/Darko who are all minimum players.

There must be a reason we tried people like Jamar Smith, Leandro Barbosa, Dionte Christmas and barely put effort into who was it... Micah Downs??? Kurz??? Danny would rather us go small and Barbosa works in small rotations!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 02:02:53 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Clearly that's not our plan, because the only guys Danny tried to get as bigs were Collins/Wilcox/Darko who are all minimum players.

There must be a reason we tried people like Jamar Smith, Leandro Barbosa, Dionte Christmas and barely put effort into who was it... Micah Downs??? Kurz??? Danny would rather us go small and Barbosa works in small rotations!

That's because we wasted all our resources to sign Jason Terry this year, and now we're very close to the hard cap.

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 02:04:34 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

That's because we wasted used all our resources to sign Jason Terry this year, and now we're very close to the hard cap.