Author Topic: Enough of the playoff Rondo argument  (Read 13740 times)

Re: Enough of the playoff Rondo argument
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 08:40:22 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466

the Celtics pay Rondo to show up and play his best every game apparently even his most ardent supporters agree that he does not give his best every game. This is not a good thing.

To those that argue that we will miss Rondo come the playoffs, remember that in his most memorable playoff games where he went all the way - we still lost. Maybe we would have won that game if he did not try to do it himself.

Finally, who cares about playoff Rondo? We should only care about Chips. How many chips has playoff Rondo won us?

Have you even watched the Celtics in the playoffs in 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012?  Because if you had watched, I don't believe you would be spouting this non-sense.

One player doesn't win you a championship.  It takes a team tremendously focused together and playing their best basketball possible.  Do you even understand that? 

Rondo's efforts in the playoffs have been amazing.  I can't believe that we go on a 6 game win streak after he goes down to injury and then 1/2 the people on this board get selective amnesia about one players contributions. 

It is really bordering on idiocy at this point.

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 08:43:17 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
the Celtics pay Rondo to show up and play his best every game apparently even his most ardent supporters agree that he does not give his best every game. This is not a good thing.

To those that argue that we will miss Rondo come the playoffs, remember that in his most memorable playoff games where he went all the way - we still lost. Maybe we would have won that game if he did not try to do it himself.

Finally, who cares about playoff Rondo? We should only care about Chips. How many chips has playoff Rondo won us?

Have you even watched the Celtics in the playoffs in 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012?  Because if you had watched, I don't believe you would be spouting this non-sense.

One player doesn't win you a championship.  Do you understand that?  Rondo's efforts in the playoffs have been amazing.  I can't believe that we go on a 6 game win streak after he goes down to injury and then 1/2 the people on this board get selective amnesia about one players contributions. 

Playoff Rondo is not a winning formula. The winning formula is team ball, everyone playing better, sharing the ball. Even Doc talked about this in 2008 or dont you remember YOU GOT TO DO IT TOGETHERRRRRRRRR!!! Somewhere along the line even Doc lost the focus on team play.

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 08:45:25 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

One player doesn't win you a championship.  Do you understand that?  Rondo's efforts in the playoffs have been amazing.  I can't believe that we go on a 6 game win streak after he goes down to injury and then 1/2 the people on this board get selective amnesia about one players contributions. 

Playoff Rondo is not a winning formula. The winning formula is team ball everyone playing better sharign the ball. Even Doc talked about this in 2008 or dont you remember YOU GOT TO DO IT TOGETHERRRRRRRRR!!! Somewhere along the line even Doc lost the focus on team play.

Rondo averages like 13-15 assists throughout the playoffs... How is he not playing team ball?

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 08:46:59 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

His most memorable playoff game was against the Cavs when he became (as I heard at the time) the only player in nba history (regular season or playoffs) to have 10+ points, 10+ rebounds and 10+ assists more than anyone else on his team. We never would have won that game if he didn't try to do it all himself. And trash him all you want for not winning a title. The list of players that eventually led their teams to titles when they were older than Rondo starts with MJ, Kobe, LeBron, Hakeem, Isiah, Shaq and Dirk. Good thing you weren't GM for any of those player's teams.

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 08:47:20 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
How many 'Chips do playoff Chris Paul, playoff Kevin Durant, playoff Dwight Howard, playoff Carmelo Anthony, playoff Russell Westbrook, etc. . . have?

Speaking of championships, Rajon Rondo does have one.  I just thought that folks possibly needed to be reminded of that fact. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 08:48:45 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

Playoff Rondo is not a winning formula. The winning formula is team ball, everyone playing better, sharing the ball. Even Doc talked about this in 2008 or dont you remember YOU GOT TO DO IT TOGETHERRRRRRRRR!!! Somewhere along the line even Doc lost the focus on team play.

Well your concept of 'winning formula' is really odd.  We have been to the NBA finals in 2010, and the ECF in 2012.  Exactly how does that not equal 'winning formula'?  Do you really expect a NBA ring every year?  Especially with our roster the past couple years?  I just don't know what to say.

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 08:49:48 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Playoff Rondo is not a winning formula. The winning formula is team ball everyone playing better sharign the ball. Even Doc talked about this in 2008 or dont you remember YOU GOT TO DO IT TOGETHERRRRRRRRR!!! Somewhere along the line even Doc lost the focus on team play.

Rondo averages like 13-15 assists throughout the playoffs... How is he not playing team ball?

If the current trend of team assists higher without Rondo than with Rondo holds up then his assists totals may actually be hindering overall ball movement and team ball.

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 08:52:43 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
How many 'Chips do playoff Chris Paul, playoff Kevin Durant, playoff Dwight Howard, playoff Carmelo Anthony, playoff Russell Westbrook, etc. . . have?

Speaking of championships, Rajon Rondo does have one.  I just thought that folks possibly needed to be reminded of that fact.

your argument does not follow because fans of those teams are not defedning their stars by saying they step it up in the playoffs. Most of those players you mention come to play everyday.

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 08:53:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

If the current trend of team asists higher without Rondo than with Rondo holds up then his asists totals may actually be hindering overall ball movement and team ball.

Yes, the only thing that matters is the recent play of a very inconsistent team, not the years of the team assists being higher with Rondo. Is this your first year watching the Celts?

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 08:54:09 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.

You could make an argument that every NBA player has mailed it in or given less than a 100% effort in a regular season game so not sure why that would make Rondo unique. Since its an 82 game regular season, I don't really bat an eye to it if they're bringing it in late April, May, and June.

Well, Rondo is notorious for being more inconsistent than most.

The fact that it is talked about with Rondo but not with other great players is a testament to something.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 08:55:58 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

If the current trend of team asists higher without Rondo than with Rondo holds up then his asists totals may actually be hindering overall ball movement and team ball.

This is a highly un-scientific analysis.  Your original idea behind this thread is based in some kind of bias that you have against Rondo as a player, not his results and play during the playoffs. 

I don't get why people like to go out of their way to make stuff up and bash Rondo?  Do we do that to KG, PP?  I mean Rondo's effort and heart and results in the playoffs in the last couple of years are def. at the same level as KG's and PP's.  Let just start bashing all of our great players then.  And we should really single out those that dislocate an elbow and come back to play and lead us to a win.

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 08:57:39 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
DKC Suns

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 08:59:43 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

If the current trend of team assists higher without Rondo than with Rondo holds up then his assists totals may actually be hindering overall ball movement and team ball.

They've been having the same argument round here for the past 2 weeks.

Is it the old system based around Ray Allen or is it Rondo? Can Rondo play outside of the Ray through screens offensive system?

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 09:00:46 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

your argument does not follow because fans of those teams are not defedning their stars by saying they step it up in the playoffs. Most of those players you mention come to play everyday.

"Most" of the five players that I mentioned "come to play every day"?  Which ones don't?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 09:05:06 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

This is a highly un-scientific analysis.  Your original idea behind this thread is based in some kind of bias that you have against Rondo as a player, not his results and play during the playoffs. 

I don't get why people like to go out of their way to make stuff up and bash Rondo?  Do we do that to KG, PP?  I mean Rondo's effort and heart and results in the playoffs in the last couple of years are def. at the same level as KG's and PP's.  Let just start bashing all of our great players then.  And we should really single out those that dislocate an elbow and come back to play and lead us to a win.

Yeah honestly if you want to blame a guy for stalling the offense blame PP... his iso plays have done just that on plenty of occasions. Rondo is an excellent team player and he excels in the playoffs... the numbers and the plays prove it.

The fact is this team would not have gone as far as it has in the playoffs the last couple of years without Rondo. Not winning a championship each of those years is not Rondo's fault... its the rosters...