Author Topic: Enough of the playoff Rondo argument  (Read 13741 times)

Re: Enough of the playoff Rondo argument
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2013, 10:15:26 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
this is  not a Rondo bashing thread. The thread is a rebuttal to those who are discounting the play of the team by looking forward to the playoffs. There is no evidence that our current play cannot be sustained through the playoff, and if it is not and we dont win, it is not as if we have won with Rondo the last four years.

This is from the 1st post:
"Finally, who cares about playoff Rondo? We should only care about Chips. How many chips has playoff Rondo won us?"

That isn't bashing / diminishing Rondo's contributions???  I disagree 100%.

Exactly. tp

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2013, 10:18:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I blame rondo for letting things get to his head that he is a super player. I blame him for not figuring out , endless dribbles or lazy court brought UPS has hurt this team. Also blame him for gambling on defense too much. But also u have to blame rivers for not changing his bad habits. If he doesn't listen u can just bench him. His injury is a blessing in disguise and hopefully he will fit into how things r running now. If by a miracle we beat Miami or win it all, he will really have to buy into the system now or get traded to somewhere else where he can play his way

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2013, 10:19:03 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466
this is  not a Rondo bashing thread. The thread is a rebuttal to those who are discounting the play of the team by looking forward to the playoffs. There is no evidence that our current play cannot be sustained through the playoff, and if it is not and we dont win, it is not as if we have won with Rondo the last four years.

The team's ceiling is lower without Rondo but it's not as low as people think but Rondo is nowhere near as bad as you say he is (playoff or not).

Also, what blink said.

bad? who said Rondo is bad..the thread is about arguments made by posters unless you can show me where Rondo himself coined himself regular season Rondo and playoff Rondo this thread is not about Rondo but about those who claim there are two Rondos.

This is what you said in your original post:
"To those that argue that we will miss Rondo come the playoffs, remember that in his most memorable playoff games where he went all the way - we still lost. Maybe we would have won that game if he did not try to do it himself."

IMO this thread is just basically belittling Rondo's contributions in the playoffs.  I posted his playoff stats for the past 4 years.  They show a huge contribution to the team.  Your 'arguement' is that somehow we are better off without the Rondo that contributed that effort for our team.  I disagree 100% with your comments, this thread and the silly way you are trying to backtrack from you original post.

I want us to win this year too, with or without Rondo.  I am just tired of people trying to rationalize that we are somehow a 'better' team and have more of a chance to do damage in the playoffs without Rondo.  There is no evidence that that is the case.

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2013, 10:23:36 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
The point was against those who coined 'playoff Rondo' period. I like Rondo I do not bash him. I criticize his play when I see fit, but I do not bash any player on the Cs.

The point is who cares about playoff Rondo sometimes Championships are won in the regular season when you get favorable seeding. We should worry about doing the right thing to win not waiting for playoffs to really play hard.

Championships are never won during the regular season. The Lakers are the only top seed in the last 4 years to get to the finals.

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2013, 10:53:20 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
I blame rondo for letting things get to his head that he is a super player.

You're not in Rondo's head. You're blaming him for something you made up.

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2013, 11:02:35 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
the Celtics pay Rondo to show up and play his best every game apparently even his most ardent supporters agree that he does not give his best every game. This is not a good thing.

To those that argue that we will miss Rondo come the playoffs, remember that in his most memorable playoff games where he went all the way - we still lost. Maybe we would have won that game if he did not try to do it himself.

Finally, who cares about playoff Rondo? We should only care about Chips. How many chips has playoff Rondo won us?

you're missing a crucial part about playoff Rondo vs regular season Rondo.
Playoff Rondo goes into attack mode and puts his body on the line  every play down the court.
I NEVER want playoff Rondo playing that way for a full season- otherwise we have more injuries due to his style of game.
His body takes a beating as it is in the regular season- it's rolling the dice too many times to have him play that aggressively every single game- he'd barely get through each season as he does already.

It's about preserving his body until it really matters. I don't care if people think he turns it on and off. As long as he turns it on for the playoffs I'm fine.

And how many championships has Rondo won us? One in 2007, and we don't win that 'ship without Rondo getting the ball to Ray Allen and Pierce and our perimeter guys, or Rondo's running the floor.
I'd actually like him to get back into running up the floor earlier instead of bringing it up every play.
But yeah, the playoff Rondo argument is a legit one.
Think about how many injuries he goes through already each season and what he plays through and then times that by the intensity he brings each playoffs.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2013, 11:03:49 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
How many playoff series have we won without Rondo starting and finishing the series healthy? That's not a end-all argument, or an argument that says this team as currently constituted will be limited to anything short of a championship.

But it is an important point when discounting that the team will certainly do well in the playoffs.

Right now, I think we're surprising a lot of people, and are benefitting from the team rallying.

But no winning streak before the all-star break has ever meant anything significant. We are, as we have ever been; waiting to see if the team can really keep up this style of play.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2013, 11:06:30 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
I blame rondo for letting things get to his head that he is a super player.

You're not in Rondo's head. You're blaming him for something you made up.

Exactly... not to mention he kind of is a super player...

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2013, 11:41:59 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
months from now we will find out for real if we are better or worse without rondo in the playoffs. stop these never ending talks and let's just enjoy the games.

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2013, 11:47:56 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
the Celtics pay Rondo to show up and play his best every game apparently even his most ardent supporters agree that he does not give his best every game. This is not a good thing.

To those that argue that we will miss Rondo come the playoffs, remember that in his most memorable playoff games where he went all the way - we still lost. Maybe we would have won that game if he did not try to do it himself.

Finally, who cares about playoff Rondo? We should only care about Chips. How many chips has playoff Rondo won us?

44 points ring a bell?
Game 7 Philly?

I'm sure you know the phrase "makes it when it matters most"
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2013, 11:57:53 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Have you even watched the Celtics in the playoffs in 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012?  Because if you had watched, I don't believe you would be spouting this non-sense.

One player doesn't win you a championship.  Do you understand that?  Rondo's efforts in the playoffs have been amazing.  I can't believe that we go on a 6 game win streak after he goes down to injury and then 1/2 the people on this board get selective amnesia about one players contributions. 

It is really bordering on idiocy at this point.

Playoff Rondo is not a winning formula. The winning formula is team ball, everyone playing better, sharing the ball. Even Doc talked about this in 2008 or dont you remember YOU GOT TO DO IT TOGETHERRRRRRRRR!!! Somewhere along the line even Doc lost the focus on team play.

You can't play team ball every game, no matter how good or consistent.
At some point, certain players must take the game over with isos
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2013, 12:20:39 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

this makes too much sense.

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2013, 12:30:46 AM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
The point was against those who coined 'playoff Rondo' period. I like Rondo I do not bash him. I criticize his play when I see fit, but I do not bash any player on the Cs.

The point is who cares about playoff Rondo sometimes Championships are won in the regular season when you get favorable seeding. We should worry about doing the right thing to win not waiting for playoffs to really play hard.

Championships are never won during the regular season. The Lakers are the only top seed in the last 4 years to get to the finals.

what? lol

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2013, 12:38:27 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

what? lol

Bulls were top seed last year, not the Heat, in case that's what you were wondering.

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2013, 12:39:05 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

what? lol

Nice response. Glad to see the facts both surprise and amuse you.