Author Topic: Barbosa = Pietrus of the year?  (Read 6951 times)

Re: Barbosa = Pietrus of the year?
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2013, 02:51:44 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Pietrus was the most likable Celtic ever that was absolutely atrocious

he wanted so much to remain a celtic that I felt bad for him to see him not re-signed. Still, I fully understand Ainge's decision considering Pietrus' play.

Agreed, I actually liked the guy and the Celtic pride he showed but man was he bad in the playoffs

Cost the Celtics Game 6 against the Heat last year, would never forget how horrible he was

It wasn't solely due to him...
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2013, 02:58:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
They're two totally different players.  Barbosa is good on offense and Pietrus is good on defense.

Pietrus was invaluable when he got those offensive rebounds in game 4 vs Miami and then the daggers in game 5.

Let's wait to see if Barbosa can give us something like that in the playoffs.

I meant cheap player playing well for team mostly, not game styles

Pietrus? I think you're confused about his contributions to the Celtics.

But Barbosa's role is not worth more than the vet. min. or the bi-annual exception if available to us. Same thing with Pietrus.

Barbosa is definitely worth more than the vet. min...
Pietrus was our greatest motivator last year and also a good backup to Pierce, he also should get more than the vet. min,

The vet. min is for people like Jason Collins and Keyon Dooling. Barbosa/Pietrus should make more than 2 million a year at the VERY least

The problem is that we have other roster priorities and limited resources to get them, so no, I can't see Barbosa being valued more than vet. min., considering how deep we're in our guard rotation, and with the return of Rondo, how much bench he'll be eating for someone to be making more than vet. min.

We'll never have consistency then if all we do is get players like Pietrus/Barbosa on vet. min deals since the next year, they leave for better deals... :\ They're necessary for a championship.

Did you see how much money Barbosa was making last year?? That's what he deserves!

Deserving, and what we can/should give him to stay in our roster are two different things.

I don't know what the heck you're talking about consistency, but we have Rondo, Courtney Lee, Jason Terry, Avery Bradley signed for 3 years. In addition, we have Green and Garnett signed for 4 and 3 years, and Sully for 4/5 years, and Pierce here for long as KG is here most probably.

What consistency are you specifically talking about when considering our 5th/6th guard in our rotation?

If a player gets paid $850k, yet plays like a $3 million dollar player for a year (and has been consistent every year of his career except the one where he got offered $850k), how much should he make when he looks for his next contract??

This has nothing to do with what the Celtics should give him.

What you should be thinking about is what resources we have at our disposal, and how we allocate them, particularly finding an upgrade for our center rotation, an additional SF since we only have two at the moment.

Clearly that's not our plan, because the only guys Danny tried to get as bigs were Collins/Wilcox/Darko who are all minimum players.

There must be a reason we tried people like Jamar Smith, Leandro Barbosa, Dionte Christmas and barely put effort into who was it... Micah Downs??? Kurz??? Danny would rather us go small and Barbosa works in small rotations!

That's because we wasted all our resources to sign Jason Terry this year, and now we're very close to the hard cap.

We had Rondo/Bradley/Barbosa/Christmas/Lee/Dooling/Smith/Terry in consideration... at the end, 6 of 8 were backcourt player leaving us 7 spaces to fill three positions. Take away KG/Pierce and there's 5.

We got three adequate guys in Collins/Darko/Wilcox

Then there's Bass to long-term deal
And Green to long-term deal

OBVIOUSLY, we weren't trying to get big and were gonna wait for a Ryan Hollins/Sean Williams type player

I'm going out of a limb here, but I'm going to guess that you don't know how the CBA works and understand the resources we have at our disposal right?

I have a basic idea but if we didn't sign certain players (Bass/Green/Terry) to such big deals, Barbosa/Pietrus could get bigger paychecks, right??

Green is irrelevant, Bass is irrelevant.

We only had 5 million to offer free-agents, Jason Terry was chosen to pick it all.

Green and Bass are not irrelevant they get paid like 15 mil a year
We owned their Bird rights and could do that. Being able to give Bird's Right free agents anything you want could effect funds available for other players but in the case of the Celtics, it didn't. We were over the cap. We had one exception left to us to sign a player that was the Mid Level Exception which the C's used Jason Terry.

You might want to give this site a read:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

Done by Larry Coon, guy really knows his stuff. Also if you do a search amongst the threads for "Salary Cap Situation and FAQs: 2009 Edition" or really any recent addition, you will learn a lot about Celtics salary cap situation. Roy Hobbs does the articles here at Celticsblog and they are among some of the most informative stuff you could read regarding the Celtics situation with their cap

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2013, 03:02:56 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

he wanted so much to remain a celtic that I felt bad for him to see him not re-signed. Still, I fully understand Ainge's decision considering Pietrus' play.

Agreed, I actually liked the guy and the Celtic pride he showed but man was he bad in the playoffs

Cost the Celtics Game 6 against the Heat last year, would never forget how horrible he was

I attribute that loss to two things:

1.  Pierce had an epically awful shooting performance.

2.  LeBron had an epically dominant and efficient shooting performance.

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2013, 03:17:10 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I think Pietrus played severely below our expectations of him.  That award should go to Courtney Lee.

Pietrus played way better than his $1.3 million contract for most of last year (until that concussion)..
He was a great backup to Pierce and was better than the likes of Pavlovic... he gave us sparks at times on both O and D
He averaged 6.9 points in 22 minutes shooting .385% and .335% from 3 (11.3 per 36)

By comparison Barbosa is averaging 5.3 points in 12 minutes shooting .44% and .364% from 3 (15.4 per 36)

In the playoffs Pietrus somehow managed to play even worse, with 6.3 points per 36 shooting 33% and 22% from 3 in 20 games.

There is a plethora of veteran minimum players that could outproduce what Pietrus did for us last year.  He was brought in as the main backup to BOTH the 2 and 3 spots for good defense and to hit the 3.  He only brought half (which is why I submitted Lee).  Barbosa on the other hand was brought in the backup nobody and sit on the bench as injury insurance.

Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2013, 03:25:48 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198

Very true. But with all that, Celtics were still in the game. There was a time in that game when Lebron was scoring crazy, and the Heat were still down. Rondo and others kept feeding the ball to Pietrus, and he didn't make any shots. If he would have made at least four 3 pointers, Celtics would have been in the Finals

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2013, 03:26:25 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

Very true. But with all that, Celtics were still in the game. There was a time in that game when Lebron was scoring crazy, and the Heat were still down. Rondo and others kept feeding the ball to Pietrus, and he didn't make any shots. If he would have made at least four 3 pointers, Celtics would have been in the Finals

Shoulda-coulda-woulda
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2013, 03:56:30 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
I liked Pietrus, but he, Keeyon, Tony Allen, Scal are all examples of "absense makes the heart grow fonder" guys. 

All had their endearing moments here, but also had their struggles.  None would be difference makers here this year.  MAYBE TA, but truthfully, when he was here he was a feast or famine guy. TA was regularly ripped for dumb plays; I remember cringing whenever the ball was in his hands.  When he left he suddenly became a legend (yes, I know that is an exageration).

Barbosa can really influence a game.  He is capable of making horrendous plays, but he can catch fire and he can change the pace of game. Really like him on this team, but question how much he can be relied upon for consistent play.

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2013, 04:58:55 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Clearly that's not our plan, because the only guys Danny tried to get as bigs were Collins/Wilcox/Darko who are all minimum players.

There must be a reason we tried people like Jamar Smith, Leandro Barbosa, Dionte Christmas and barely put effort into who was it... Micah Downs??? Kurz??? Danny would rather us go small and Barbosa works in small rotations!

Maybe Ainge tried to provide Doc with fewer options to force him to play Sullinger.  I've suggested Ainge avoided getting a veteran backup PG behind a young Rondo in an attempt to ensure that Doc would start him.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2013, 05:03:59 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

Maybe Ainge tried to provide Doc with fewer options to force him to play Sullinger.  I've suggested Ainge avoided getting a veteran backup PG behind a young Rondo in an attempt to ensure that Doc would start him.

Well, Sullinger is gone now, so we're gonna have to reboot on the run
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]