Author Topic: Enough of the playoff Rondo argument  (Read 13742 times)

Enough of the playoff Rondo argument
« on: February 09, 2013, 07:17:20 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
the Celtics pay Rondo to show up and play his best every game apparently even his most ardent supporters agree that he does not give his best every game. This is not a good thing.

To those that argue that we will miss Rondo come the playoffs, remember that in his most memorable playoff games where he went all the way - we still lost. Maybe we would have won that game if he did not try to do it himself.

Finally, who cares about playoff Rondo? We should only care about Chips. How many chips has playoff Rondo won us?

Re: Enough of the playoff Rondo argument
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 07:20:04 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Yeah, you're right... I mean not like we would have lost to the Sixers had Rondo not stepped up in game 7...

Oh and try to do it himself? What does that even mean? He was the leader of the team throughout the playoffs and he did an excellent job. Just because the refs cheated us out of his 44 pt game 2 and we lost the series in 7 games does not mean its his fault... he kept us in that series. Hell we were in the ECF because of his BIG PLAYS.

I don't even know what to say...

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 07:23:58 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Yeah, you're right... I mean not like we would have lost to the Sixers had Rondo not stepped up in game 7...

Oh and try to do it himself? What does that even mean? He was the leader of the team throughout the playoffs and he did an excellent job. Just because the refs cheated us out of his 44 pt game 2 and we lost the series in 7 games does not mean its his fault... he kept us in that series. Hell we were in the ECF because of his BIG PLAYS.

TP.  He plays through dislocated elbows, goes the floor, plays huge minutes (reg. season leader too), leaves his heart on the court, bleeds green....  Let's slam him.

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 07:25:25 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Yea I REALLY don't understand the Rondo bashing.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 07:27:30 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Finally, who cares about playoff Rondo? We should only care about Chips. How many chips has playoff Rondo won us?

You can apply the same argument to all good players who haven't played a huge role in winning a championship.

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 07:30:08 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Yeah, the fact that the refs blatantly ignored wade's foul is really not his fault. That was a won game in my eyes, always will be. He makes the right decisions almost all the time in the playoffs if he should pass or score. That makes me really miss playoff rondo and why its crucial to get a competent backup and play him so we can reduce his 37 min avg in the regular season.

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 07:31:28 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
The team is playing better without Rondo but they are not a better team without him.

Rondo has stepped up in the playoffs before and it's a very reasonable expectation that he would have done it again this post-season. 

You could make an argument that every NBA player has mailed it in or given less than a 100% effort in a regular season game so not sure why that would make Rondo unique. Since its an 82 game regular season, I don't really bat an eye to it if they're bringing it in late April, May, and June.

It's a team game but he is a big part of that picture for the Celtics.  His loss shouldn't be minimized.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 08:16:20 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
The Celtics will miss Rondo in the playoffs as he has always stepped up his game in the biggest moments.

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 08:17:19 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
The team we have now I have faith in.  More faith then any team Rondo's led the past two years.

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 08:18:47 PM »

Offline TheBig5

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
Rondo has flaws some of which you mentioned, but make no mistake this team will miss Rondo when it counts.

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 08:25:01 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
TP

I dont understand when the Celtics began to bask in moral victories someone said he counts the 44 game Miami game a win for us. Well I guess I could count the Laker game 7 in 2010 a win for us so we have #18 already. Moral victories are for losers not the Celtics.

No one can say how this team will play in the playoffs. The so-called experts said we wouldnt even make the playoffs when Rondo went down. So much for that.

Anyway, I deal with facts not with speculation. Playoff Rondo is yet to win us a CHIP. Until then I will continue to look at the evidence on the court.

By the way, how is the thread bashing Rondo? I just tried to make a point that this playoff Rondo has yet to win a championship.

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 08:33:57 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
TP

I dont understand when the Celtics began to bask in moral victories someone said he counts the 44 game Miami game a win for us. Well I guess I could count the Laker game 7 in 2010 a win for us so we have #18 already. Moral victories are for losers not the Celtics.

No one can say how this team will play in the playoffs. The so-called experts said we wouldnt even make the playoffs when Rondo went down. So much for that.

Anyway, I deal with facts not with speculation. Playoff Rondo is yet to win us a CHIP. Until then I will continue to look at the evidence on the court.

By the way, how is the thread bashing Rondo? I just tried to make a point that this playoff Rondo has yet to win a championship.

So how can you win a title without playoff Rondo if even him stepping up in the playoffs hasn't gotten it done? Do you really think that Barbosa, Terry, Lee, or Bradley could of done what he did last year? It seems like we would be home sooner, not go farther.

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 08:38:11 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Truth is we already won a chip in 2008 without playoff Rondo.

We can do it again. Rondo has not developed the type of game to take a team all the way. To take a team all the way you must make your teammates better not worse.

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 08:38:47 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
One stat that no one can disagree with

Titles won when Rondo was the main feature of the offense: 0
Titles won when Rondo wasn't the main feature of the offense: 1

Remember 2008? The same year you had KG, Paul, and Ray become the main feature of the offense. Ball movement was top notch (Similar to this year now with Rondo out)

Rondo as the main feature has not yielded any titles, so how can there be so much praise on Rondo in the playoffs?

Especially when he's very inconsistent. Half the time he plays awesome, other half he's either detrimental to the team or non-existent

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 08:38:56 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466
I am so sick of these type of posts.