Author Topic: small upgrade and salary cutting move  (Read 3188 times)

small upgrade and salary cutting move
« on: February 09, 2013, 02:42:39 PM »

Offline cletus1985

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 408
Don't know what Mark Cuban's financial goals are, but if he's looking to shred a little salary for next year this move could work out for both teams.

Boston sends Dallas:
* Brandon Bass
* Jason Collins/ Leandro Barbosa

Dallas sends Boston:
* Shawn Marion

Marion is an upgrade over Bass for this year imo. Marion adds about 2-3 mill in salary this year and next, but expires a year earlier than Bass. He could be a trade chip as an expiring or just salary cap relief next year.

Bass and Collins/Barbosa saves Dallas about 2 mill this year and 3 mill next year when the latter expires. Opens up cap space for them to sign free agents and gets them a little younger. Then in the big free agent market of 2014 he could be used as sign and trade bait or I'm sure they could pick up a trade exception for his services and expiring contract.

I have no idea what the trade market is for Marion, but he did state he won't report to a rebuilding team which limits their options. Whether or not Cuban would do it to save that money is obviously beyond my knowledge, but i think this trade is worth the phone call from us.

Re: small upgrade and salary cutting move
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 03:35:18 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Lol. Interesting... bass used to play in Dallas.

They already promised no trades for Dirk and Carter too though...
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 04:34:27 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
A)Why does Dallas do this?

B) we have pierce and green to play Marion's position. So why do we do this?

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 04:45:16 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The Mavs' are obviously trying to clear cap space to make a run at a free agent next season.  They're probably not going to want a contract such as Bass, even if they believed his playing ability was proportionate to the value/length of the contract.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 04:47:49 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
Marion would never play for the Celtics, this I do know! 99.9%

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 04:53:30 PM »

Offline cletus1985

• Jayson Tatum
A)Why does Dallas do this?

B) we have pierce and green to play Marion's position. So why do we do this?

A) They've made it clear that they're willing to move anyone other than Dirk and their season is already lottery bound. Clears some cap and gets them younger with bass. We may have to throw in a pick for sweetener (this year's 1st or a future protected or 2nd rounder.)

B) Marion is very capable of playing PF and has done it often, he's a better rebounder and defender than bass and can knock down open j's including 3 point range. Plus he's versatile enough to guard Lebron/Carmelo/ etc. which could take a lot of pressure off Pierce when they are on the floor together. Plus he's off the books next year.

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 04:57:01 PM »

Offline cletus1985

• Jayson Tatum

Obviously that's the end of this discussion then  ???

Anything to back up your bold statement?

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 04:58:43 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
This a mute point of convo guys. Marion would NEVER play here! He despises everything C's, trix will not ne walking through that door. Believe me!

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 05:02:09 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown

He is one of my best friends which I am reluctant to say because nobody would believe me. We been buds since we met his rookie year through my best friend from H.S. who he played with on the Suns named Gerald Brown. Me & Shawn talk twice a week.

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »

Offline cletus1985

• Jayson Tatum

He is one of my best friends which I am reluctant to say because nobody would believe me. We been buds since we met his rookie year through my best friend from H.S. who he played with on the Suns named Gerald Brown. Me & Shawn talk twice a week.

If true i think that's pretty ridiculous that he wouldn't play for a better team if traded because he doesn't like the team, it's not like he played here and Boston did something to scorn him.

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 05:07:30 PM »

fitzhickey

That's awesome

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 05:11:03 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

That's interesting.  I have no reason not to believe you, but I am very curious why he despises everything Celtics.  Is it based on the city or the team?  Tell us more.

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 05:31:57 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown

If true i think that's pretty ridiculous that he wouldn't play for a better team if traded because he doesn't like the team, it's not like he played here and Boston did something to scorn him.
I agree with you! And I'm being quite honest when I say this, he's a guest of this board quite often but won't actually open a account. He views our Celticsblog topics sometimes & he says we're pathetic! Lol I made a hypothetical trade using him as a centerpiece years ago under my previous screen name & told him what he thought about it. He laughed & said he'll never play for the C's. We had a fringe playoff team back then I believe it was 05-06 season when Phoenix had to get rid Marion,Johnson or Amare. All 3 was being shopped so I wanted my boy to be a Celtic & we coulda used him greatly. He was so infatic with his words of not being a Celtic it actually hurt my feelings. He called me 1 morning the Suns was playing the Celtics here in Phoenix & said ride with me to the barbershop, I need to look good when I set a career high against your sorry azz Celtics. I said ok of course & I believe he scored 45 on us. His dream team as of the moment is the Bulls! He really wants to go to Chicago & is hoping he can be traded there. He also hates the Heat! And his other team of choice at the moment is LA Lakers because of D'Antoni. When I talk to him again I'll ask about what ifs with the C's but I doubt his stance has changed since the year began. He just dislikes us since his childhood.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 05:38:56 PM by KG_ended_Bias »

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 05:42:04 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Would you say that if he felt that way about the Lakers (and the Lakers were having a better season)?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 06:21:38 PM »

Offline cletus1985

• Jayson Tatum

Would you say that if he felt that way about the Lakers (and the Lakers were having a better season)?

Actually i would. As fans we can hate the lakers without any concern or loss, but as a player you have to look at it as a business and weigh your options to make the most  of your career. If a team is calling for you that gets you closer to a championship take the opportunity, plus he'd be a starter in either one of the scenarios so he would be a huge part of any success they had.

Unless the organization has personally wronged you in the past, i don't see any valid reason not to want to have a chance at a championship. Even though the C's aren't the upper echelon of title favorites this year, being in the playoffs is a better chance then being on a lottery team in Dallas.

* didn't Paul Pierce grow up hating the Celtics? Look where he is now!