Author Topic: Would you move Rondo now?  (Read 8603 times)

Re: Would you move Rondo now?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 10:04:45 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
One thing you trade mongers forget...We really have NO ball handler if we don't have Rondo...so, if other teams PRESS us..we could be screwed....Rondo is one more adaptation away from being super GREAT...right now he is great.....and STILL getting better...and he isn't old.....and what will you say if pp or kg pulls up an injury...i hate to say it...but you have to deal with reality..though some like to avoid that here..as they are both playing VERY hard and long...and are not young. Without PP or KG...the only way you'll get people to come HERE is to play with Rondo......a passing pg like that....the same ones who say trade rondo aren't talking so big as they did about deron williams anymore...as we watched him fade.....we aren't getting westbrook or chris paul....but we have rondo still....so look elsewhere....keep rondo i say..!

We;ve been pressed this year and have been fine.  Rondo's a great passer but a decent ball handler.

I'm trying to think of the last time the Celts had a player that was clearly a better ball handler than Rondo and I'm drawing a complete blank.

Brandon Bass?

I don't think so although the previous poster may agree with you.

I was kidding but we,must have had great ball handlers. I'm relatively new to being a fan so I don't know anyone in particular... Nate?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2013, 10:38:25 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
One thing you trade mongers forget...We really have NO ball handler if we don't have Rondo...so, if other teams PRESS us..we could be screwed....Rondo is one more adaptation away from being super GREAT...right now he is great.....and STILL getting better...and he isn't old.....and what will you say if pp or kg pulls up an injury...i hate to say it...but you have to deal with reality..though some like to avoid that here..as they are both playing VERY hard and long...and are not young. Without PP or KG...the only way you'll get people to come HERE is to play with Rondo......a passing pg like that....the same ones who say trade rondo aren't talking so big as they did about deron williams anymore...as we watched him fade.....we aren't getting westbrook or chris paul....but we have rondo still....so look elsewhere....keep rondo i say..!

We;ve been pressed this year and have been fine.  Rondo's a great passer but a decent ball handler.

I'm trying to think of the last time the Celts had a player that was clearly a better ball handler than Rondo and I'm drawing a complete blank.

Over 10 years ago: Kenny Anderson

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2013, 10:53:53 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

No freaking way was Kenny Anderson a better ballhandler than Rondo when he was on the Celts. Yikes.

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 11:11:26 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This borders idiotic, he would not pass a physical.

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 11:25:18 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

No freaking way was Kenny Anderson a better ballhandler than Rondo when he was on the Celts. Yikes.

Not only was Kenney Anderson a better ball-handler than Rondo, he passed better and took it to the hole better, which were all set up withhis ball-handling skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FByBHhS14js

See especially at the 2:30 mark, and yuh. highlight clips, I understand , can make the worst players look good, BUT, we are talking about highlight worthy skills that we are comparing, aren't we, when we are comparing superlatives.

I also will state that if Kenny Anderson had the Celtics team that Rondo has had, we, as a team, would've been better and Anderson's numbers and impact would have been better. The teams Anderson played on for us sucked in comparison to even the twilight years of KG/PP  teams.

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2013, 11:28:20 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Kenny Anderson was a serviceable PG when he was with the Celtics but there is absolutely no way that he was a better ball handler than Rondo.  Especially Celtics era Anderson.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2013, 11:31:09 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I also will state that if Kenny Anderson had the Celtics team that Rondo has had, we, as a team, would've been better and Anderson's numbers and impact would have been better.

I didn't know it was April Fool's Day, ****.

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2013, 11:31:59 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Kenny Anderson is one of the best ball-handlers I have ever seen.

But the man was a shadow of former self during his time with the Celtics. 

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2013, 11:34:10 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I've seen probably 99.9 percent of the games Rajon has played in his NBA career. I love him and consider him as true a Celtic as Paul Pierce. With that said, I move him if it makes us better as a whole.

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2013, 11:35:30 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Sure, you could possibly argue that Marbury was a very good ballhandler as well, obviously before he was on the Celts.

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2013, 11:48:19 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Sure, you could possibly argue that Marbury was a very good ballhandler as well, obviously before he was on the Celts.

Here's the question though, did these guys actually become worse ball-handlers? Or just lose their athleticism? Or even just decide to be less flashy in favor or making the right play more often?

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2013, 11:53:39 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I think teams can waive physicals for injuries. Wasn't Bogut traded last year with a major injury?

As for the OP, I would trade him for anything above 80 cents on the dollar, but I was in favor of trading him for almost two years now.

I don't believe PG's can lead teams to titles in the first place, and I don't trust "pure PG's" who routinely lead mediocre (at best) offenses. I'm sure some will blame Doc, DA, his teammates, etc. (anybody and everybody but Rondo) for our usually dismal offense, but Doc is well respected (for a reason), KG and Pierce are two HoF'ers (and still All-Stars), and DA knows his stuff, can't deny that.

The fact that our offense not only doesn't look significantly worse when he is out, it often looks better says a lot to me. Our defense is clearly better without his matador impersanation (Terry may not be more capable, but he is definitely more willing to stay in front of his man).

Our assist numbers haven't dipped. Five guys with 4+ assists is better (to me) than one guy with 16, and the rest of the team with 5 combined. We haven't been getting killed on the glass any worse than when Rondo was playing.

So, our offense hasn't dropped much if at all. Our defense is better. Our passing looks better. Our rebounding is the same. We get effort every night from every player, regardless of the opponent or channel we play on.

But I keep hearing we will miss him in the playoffs. What makes the playoffs different? Is it the defense and half-court offense? Well our defense is undeniably better and I'd rather have another offensive threat out there capable of knocking down shots than a player who pounds the ball for 20 seconds.

But I understand that the competition hasn't been great (although we would have beaten the Heat soundly had they not gotten 2 flukish second chance threes in the final minute and the Lakers have gone 5-1 on the rest of their road trip). I agree with that. I will reserve my judgement on whether this team has a legit shot at making noise once we see how they perform on their west coast trip after the ASB.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2013, 11:57:25 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Here's the question though, did these guys actually become worse ball-handlers? Or just lose their athleticism? Or even just decide to be less flashy in favor or making the right play more often?

I don't know if you can really separate athleticism from ball handling, since how quickly they are able to do something is important. I remember the year Cassell signed with us, there was speculation that he'd join the team while he was still on the Clips right when we were playing them. He was practically unable to bring the ball up court against Rondo, who probably didn't like hearing all the talk that Cassell was going to replace him. I don't think his being unable to dribble with Rondo pressuring him was a result of his having forgotten how to handle the ball, more that he was unable to do so as quickly as he had in the past.

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2013, 12:11:26 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I think teams can waive physicals for injuries. Wasn't Bogut traded last year with a major injury?

As for the OP, I would trade him for anything above 80 cents on the dollar, but I was in favor of trading him for almost two years now.

I don't believe PG's can lead teams to titles in the first place, and I don't trust "pure PG's" who routinely lead mediocre (at best) offenses. I'm sure some will blame Doc, DA, his teammates, etc. (anybody and everybody but Rondo) for our usually dismal offense, but Doc is well respected (for a reason), KG and Pierce are two HoF'ers (and still All-Stars), and DA knows his stuff, can't deny that.

The reason some blame Rondo less than you do for our mediocre offense is that they have a decent understanding of why our offense is mediocre. Rondo gets player the shots that they seem to be comfortable taking and they hit those shots at an above average rate. I mean I suppose he could somehow force the bigs to go for offensive rebounds instead of getting back on defense or order KG to post up more, but there's only so much you can realistically expect a pg to do to resolve those issues.

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2013, 12:33:28 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Reasons not to move Rondo
1. He is injured which makes his value at an all time low.
2. When he is playing his best there is not another point guard I would rather have.
3. He is the best rebounding pg in the game, and we happen to be a rebounding deficient team.
4. He showed real progression with his jump shot this year and I expect that to continue.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19