Author Topic: Would you move Rondo now?  (Read 8604 times)

Would you move Rondo now?
« on: February 09, 2013, 01:12:47 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
What if you could turn Rondo into something that would help us win the championship this year and set us up longer term as well?

Boston:
Rondo, Melo, Courtney Lee and Bass
Sacramento:
Cousins, Evans, Thompson, Salmons and Garcia

It works numbers wise:

Sacramento does a salary dump and starts over with:
Rondo: Best player in the trade, franchise point
Melo: A young project center with potential
Bass: A solid PF behind Thomas Robinson
Lee: A solid off guard
Their own lottery pick

Melo / Hayes
Robinson / Bass
Outlaw
Thornton / Lee
Rondo / Thomas
* Lottery pick

They completely change the character and personality of their team. They start fresh with Rondo, a lottery pick, cap space and some good young pieces( Thornton, Thomas, Robinson, Bass, Melo and Lee)

For the Celtics, we get juiced for a playoff run this year and get set up moving forward.

Cousins / Collins / Wilcox
KG / Thompson / Wilcox
Pierce / Green / Garcia
Tyreke Evans / Jet / Salmons
Bradley / Barbosa / Jet

If I'm Sacramento, I would seriously consider that. With Rondo, Thornton, Thomas Robinson and a lottery pick you could quickly put together a young, high character and very talented team. You change your team dynamics completely. Sacramento is a lottery team as currently constructed and Cousins is a head case. Why not take that shot?

For us, if we can't raise a ring this year with that team something is really wrong.

Doc and KG get a shot at solving Cousins immaturity issues, probably worth the gamble.

If that pans out, we've got the following in place moving forward after KG and Pierce go.

Cousins
Sully
Green
Evans
Bradley

Re: Would you move Rondo now?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 01:17:39 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

If you moved Bradley, Sully and Green to the Kings would you consider them to be set up as contenders for the long term? Because that's what we'll be after KG moves on.

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 01:18:37 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Sacramento says no, for two reasons.

1.  They have no idea how Rondo will play when he returns

2.  They aren't letting go of DMC just yet.  If they move to Seattle next season, maybe Cousins' attitude will change.  Who knows?

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 01:32:42 PM »

Offline ghost_of_davidthirdkill

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
What if you could turn Rondo into something that would help us win the championship this year and set us up longer term as well?

Boston:
Rondo, Melo, Courtney Lee and Bass
Sacramento:
Cousins, Evans, Thompson, Salmons and Garcia

It works numbers wise:

Sacramento does a salary dump and starts over with:
Rondo: Best player in the trade, franchise point
Melo: A young project center with potential
Bass: A solid PF behind Thomas Robinson
Lee: A solid off guard
Their own lottery pick

Melo / Hayes
Robinson / Bass
Outlaw
Thornton / Lee
Rondo / Thomas
* Lottery pick

They completely change the character and personality of their team. They start fresh with Rondo, a lottery pick, cap space and some good young pieces( Thornton, Thomas, Robinson, Bass, Melo and Lee)

For the Celtics, we get juiced for a playoff run this year and get set up moving forward.

Cousins / Collins / Wilcox
KG / Thompson / Wilcox
Pierce / Green / Garcia
Tyreke Evans / Jet / Salmons
Bradley / Barbosa / Jet

If I'm Sacramento, I would seriously consider that. With Rondo, Thornton, Thomas Robinson and a lottery pick you could quickly put together a young, high character and very talented team. You change your team dynamics completely. Sacramento is a lottery team as currently constructed and Cousins is a head case. Why not take that shot?

For us, if we can't raise a ring this year with that team something is really wrong.

Doc and KG get a shot at solving Cousins immaturity issues, probably worth the gamble.

If that pans out, we've got the following in place moving forward after KG and Pierce go.

Cousins
Sully
Green
Evans
Bradley

I think if you simplify the trade by just making it Rondo and Melo for DMC and Salmons you might get it done.

Granted, this is all contingent on Sacramento being done with DMC, which they might be.  They might have come to the conclusion that he's not going to change while he's there.  If that's the case, why not trade for an all-star point guard in Rondo.  Yes they have to wait until next year for him, but it's not like they have any hope for the playoffs this year.  Plus, they unload Salmons and his bloated contract.

The C's get the big man they need presently and in the future.  While I agree with most that DMC is a knucklehead, I think a lot of that is due to being in a losing environment with no veteran leadership.  I think he could truyly thrive with the Celtics.

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 01:56:39 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think Sac might take back Rondo (as I've suggested in past threads) but I am not quite sure they'd be ready to give up on Cousins just yet.

I think they'd either wait for a better offer for him, or possibly build around him for when the team moves to Seattle.

I do think it's possible however you can possibly land some combo of Evans, Salmons and Thompson for Rondo and filler (Bradley and Bass.)

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 02:00:26 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I've decided I don't want Danny Ainge to trade Rondo for Cousins.

I do like Cousins and his chances of becoming a high level center but I don't want to go through all the growing pains Cousins needs to go through to get there. I don't want to watch that. It will be infuriating.

I'd rather just let Cousins get on with that somewhere else and watch from a distance.

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 02:01:22 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
No. We'd only get pennies on the dollar cuz no one will trade for him unless he is healthy.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 02:03:47 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I've decided I don't want Danny Ainge to trade Rondo for Cousins.

I do like Cousins and his chances of becoming a high level center but I don't want to go through all the growing pains Cousins needs to go through to get there. I don't want to watch that. It will be infuriating.

I'd rather just let Cousins get on with that somewhere else and watch from a distance.

That's similar to what I've said. Some team is going to give Cousins a big contract, the more fortunate team is likely the team that signs Cousins to the contract after that where he's more worth what he'll be getting.

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 03:11:11 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

While this is the ideal: to have Rondo traded for pieces to help us win now AND in the future. That would be an incredible coup by Ainge if he could do that. While I agree that it is possible to accomplish both objectives with a Rondo trade (Suns, Kings, Wiz,Jazz, Griz), it is unlikely and tremendously dificult to do.

I think that the more realistic question (and more easily attainable result) is "would we trade Rondo for something that makes us championsip contenders this year and next, and not so much after that?" OR "do we trade Rondo for pieces to set up our future"?.

Rondo, the player, is not helping us to win this year (despite that some posters feel that he will by addition by subtraction, i.e. we play better without him than with him).  His impact in the playoffs can't be underestimated.

So the question becomes "does Rondo, the trade asset, give us enough to get over the top this year and next to give us two good runs?"

If we are in WIN NOW mode, I think that the  answer is obvious: trade Rondo NOW for less value perhaps than he could could garner down the road when proven healthy for a big like Gortat, Dalembert and pieces,, Milsap, Cousins, AlJeff, M. Gasol, Nene, Okafor, who could potentially push us over the top now.

I think that the second option of trading Rondo for assets that could help us in the future and not so much now is a non-starter, because a healed Rondo is better than those potential assets.

I don't think that as constituted, we can win this year without help (a big). The better the big, the better chance we have to win. Rondo gets us a far better big than someone we could get off the scrap heap.

Bass + our 1st this year, plus Melo could get us  a Dalembert Otherwise, we have to give up one of our for gurads. I don't think that is prudent.

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 03:56:24 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
No. We'd only get pennies on the dollar cuz no one will trade for him unless he is healthy.

Not sure you are correct about pennies on the dollar, but his value is certainly diminished by the injury.  Imagine we didn't have Rondo and were a lottery team -- what would you trade for an injured Derek Rose?  More than pennies, right?  Not full value, but not pennies. 

That said, not sure I'd want to bargain price him.  But as an example, could we get a Gortat and Dragic package for him?  2 decent players in need positions for an all-star -- sounds like about 70 cents on the dollar.    Would you consider that if you are Phoenix? Would Danny consider it?

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 04:09:05 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
One thing you trade mongers forget...We really have NO ball handler if we don't have Rondo...so, if other teams PRESS us..we could be screwed....Rondo is one more adaptation away from being super GREAT...right now he is great.....and STILL getting better...and he isn't old.....and what will you say if pp or kg pulls up an injury...i hate to say it...but you have to deal with reality..though some like to avoid that here..as they are both playing VERY hard and long...and are not young. Without PP or KG...the only way you'll get people to come HERE is to play with Rondo......a passing pg like that....the same ones who say trade rondo aren't talking so big as they did about deron williams anymore...as we watched him fade.....we aren't getting westbrook or chris paul....but we have rondo still....so look elsewhere....keep rondo i say..!

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 04:16:16 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

While this is the ideal: to have Rondo traded for pieces to help us win now AND in the future. That would be an incredible coup by Ainge if he could do that. While I agree that it is possible to accomplish both objectives with a Rondo trade (Suns, Kings, Wiz,Jazz, Griz), it is unlikely and tremendously dificult to do.

I think that the more realistic question (and more easily attainable result) is "would we trade Rondo for something that makes us championsip contenders this year and next, and not so much after that?" OR "do we trade Rondo for pieces to set up our future"?.

Rondo, the player, is not helping us to win this year (despite that some posters feel that he will by addition by subtraction, i.e. we play better without him than with him).  His impact in the playoffs can't be underestimated.

So the question becomes "does Rondo, the trade asset, give us enough to get over the top this year and next to give us two good runs?"

If we are in WIN NOW mode, I think that the  answer is obvious: trade Rondo NOW for less value perhaps than he could could garner down the road when proven healthy for a big like Gortat, Dalembert and pieces,, Milsap, Cousins, AlJeff, M. Gasol, Nene, Okafor, who could potentially push us over the top now.

I think that the second option of trading Rondo for assets that could help us in the future and not so much now is a non-starter, because a healed Rondo is better than those potential assets.

I don't think that as constituted, we can win this year without help (a big). The better the big, the better chance we have to win. Rondo gets us a far better big than someone we could get off the scrap heap.

Bass + our 1st this year, plus Melo could get us  a Dalembert Otherwise, we have to give up one of our for gurads. I don't think that is prudent.

I agree completely. I personally prefer the win now approach. I think of the bigs you list Jefferson, Milsap, and Gortat would all help, and I also think we could probably get Josh Smith for Rondo.

I don't think we can get Gasol, and I don't think Nene or Cousins would help enough (for different reasons).

But if I'm Danny I am looking to move Rondo. I don't think his value is all that low, especially with this news about how it's only a partial ACL tear. I also think most GMs would view Rondo as a guy who would (a) rehab hard, and (b) have a real chip on his shoulder because of being traded.

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 04:29:03 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
After 6 regular season wins?  Are people crazy?

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 04:31:34 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Ugh. This again.

No. For the twenty fifth million time No! To any rondo trade or anything involving the Kings. Not happening and Noooo!

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 04:35:26 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Not sure you are correct about pennies on the dollar, but his value is certainly diminished by the injury.  Imagine we didn't have Rondo and were a lottery team -- what would you trade for an injured Derek Rose?  More than pennies, right?  Not full value, but not pennies. 

That said, not sure I'd want to bargain price him.  But as an example, could we get a Gortat and Dragic package for him?  2 decent players in need positions for an all-star -- sounds like about 70 cents on the dollar.    Would you consider that if you are Phoenix? Would Danny consider it?

I proposed this Phoenix trade too earlier in the week, and I think both side should/would seriously consider it.

For Phoenix, they lose most of the rest of their games and get better positioned for the lottery.

In addition, Suns have expressed a very real interest in Josh Smith, Rondo's buddy. Having Rondo on board would be a great enticement for Smith.

Suns also move the disgruntled Gortat and get an upgrade at PG.

For us, we get a versatile, tough, Polish Hammer rebounder, shotblocker who passes well and can hit the 15 footer on the pop and can get to the basket on the roll. He also runs the floor well.

In Dragic, we get a more than adequate point guard.

Both Dragic and Gortat, with our current lineup, extend our window to two years after this one, while enhancing our chances this year.

I do it.