Author Topic: Rondo's agent concerns me -- realistically?  (Read 12134 times)

Re: Rondo's agent concerns me -- realistically?
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2013, 01:15:37 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Well, at one point we had a stretch where we went 10-1 without KG in 2009.  Sometimes teams can pull together when one of their stars is down.  That doesn't mean the team is better without that player.

I've liked how the Celts have looked, too. However, the record alone isn't conclusive, and the agent is right:  wait until the playoffs before making any long-term decisions.

Its not just that we won 6 in a row but its the way we're doing it. It looks alot better than the first 6 game winning streak we had. The one game we didn't look good in we still found a way to win *Raptors game*. Still I'm not convinced by any means.

We win against the Heat in Double OT, after we just had a Double OT and lost.
We handle the Sacremento Kings by double digits, a team that handled us by 20+ earlier in the season.
Handle the Magic.
Find a way to blow a lead with the Clippers and STILL win.
We win against Raptors after being down 10 in the 4th to come back and win by 5....in regulation.
We then turn around and beat the uptrending Lakers by 21 points, and led them by 30 at one point.

and these mean nothing to you? You do know that earlier in the season we would've lost to the Heat, the Clippers and the Raptors?

I just would love to know at what point are these wins 'conclusive' enough for you experts? lol. These are all night and day wins of losses we've endured....and still, nothing???

wow

Just look at the last four years for evidence. We always have winning and losing streaks. And they all mean a little. It's all about the playoffs: match-ups and experience.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2013, 01:16:08 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Well, at one point we had a stretch where we went 10-1 without KG in 2009.  Sometimes teams can pull together when one of their stars is down.  That doesn't mean the team is better without that player.

I've liked how the Celts have looked, too. However, the record alone isn't conclusive, and the agent is right:  wait until the playoffs before making any long-term decisions.

Its not just that we won 6 in a row but its the way we're doing it. It looks alot better than the first 6 game winning streak we had. The one game we didn't look good in we still found a way to win *Raptors game*. Still I'm not convinced by any means.

We win against the Heat in Double OT, after we just had a Double OT and lost.
We handle the Sacremento Kings by double digits, a team that handled us by 20+ earlier in the season.
Handle the Magic.
Find a way to blow a lead with the Clippers and STILL win.
We win against Raptors after being down 10 in the 4th to come back and win by 5....in regulation.
We then turn around and beat the uptrending Lakers by 21 points, and led them by 30 at one point.

and these mean nothing to you? You do know that earlier in the season we would've lost to the Heat, the Clippers and the Raptors?

I just would love to know at what point are these wins 'conclusive' enough for you experts? lol. These are all night and day wins of losses we've endured....and still, nothing???

wow

All the wins were great.  Unfortunately, this team cares more about playoff wins, and we won't be getting many of those without Rondo.

that's nothing you can be solid on. inconclusive!
we shall see

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2013, 01:19:22 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
hold on. I'm not saying the 6 game winning streak means we are going to win it all.

Let's be REALISTIC, if we thought a team that sat at 20-23 WITH RONDO was going to win Banner 18 as they played, then we were all in for a special treat.

What I'm saying is, the 6 game winning streak is evidence that this team is actually making a REAL turn around. Our previous 6 game winning streak, we had 3 convincing wins and 3 that really sucked. Then we turned around and started a losing streak my losing to the Hornets.

We are winning games we should. Giving our all consistently in games with higher competition. Everyone is locked in and focused now. Everyone is being utilized now. That's just what it is.

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2013, 01:21:13 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
hold on. I'm not saying the 6 game winning streak means we are going to win it all.

Let's be REALISTIC, if we thought a team that sat at 20-23 WITH RONDO was going to win Banner 18 as they played, then we were all in for a special treat.

What I'm saying is, the 6 game winning streak is evidence that this team is actually making a REAL turn around. Our previous 6 game winning streak, we had 3 convincing wins and 3 that really sucked. Then we turned around and started a losing streak my losing to the Hornets.

We are winning games we should. Giving our all consistently in games with higher competition. Everyone is locked in and focused now. Everyone is being utilized now. That's just what it is.

There's no turn around or whatever. It's "make it to the playoffs, do not get matched up against the Heat" and get to the ECF and see what happens.

With or without Rondo, I think we have a chance as long as we get there and get the right match-ups. Losing KG or PP on the other hand would mean a whole different thing.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2013, 01:23:40 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
snippet from this thing:
Rajon Rondo’s agent says his client isn’t listening to the wayward words of those who believe the Celtics will actually be a better team in the long run without their All-Star point guard. But the representative knows what’s being discussed by some of the team’s followers, and he dismissed such talk decisively yesterday.

“I don’t really have a reaction to that,” said Bill Duffy. “But if those people think they can win a championship without him, I think that’s shortsighted.

“I mean, this is the regular season. This guy’s a playoffs superstar. So I think you can take a lot of what happens in the regular season with a grain of salt.”

I don't like this because if the agent is saying this it almost makes me feel like RR is saying this. It's like saying the Celtics are nothing without Rondo. It's rubbed me the wrong way and I kinda hope we win it all without him now.

I've never necessarily been a RR basher but at what point is EVERYONE going to be realistic. We won a championship in 2008 with rondo playing pretty regularly. His averages aren't anything to crazy about. Maybe a couple great games...but are you all really saying we don't have the talent on our bench? They can't find something dip within them?

And at what point are these regular season wins going to MEAN something? I just hate that notion. If we go 10-0 or even 15-0, we will still be saying it doesn't mean anything?

Why is the realism for Rondo so totally skewed and overrated? He's a great ball player and I hope he can adapt to this system we have. He has ONE ring when he avged 10.2pts/4.1rebs/6.6assists on 40.7% shooting in 32 minutes. Really?

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2013/02/rondo_agent%E2%80%99s_not_sold_new_celtics

Duffy is right. It will be drastically harder to win a championship without Rondo, than with Rondo.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2013, 01:24:23 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

There's no turn around or whatever. It's "make it to the playoffs, do not get matched up against the Heat" and get to the ECF and see what happens.

With or without Rondo, I think we have a chance as long as we get there and get the right match-ups. Losing KG or PP on the other hand would mean a whole different thing.

I can agree with this.
Though I think there's a turn around :) lol

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2013, 01:25:46 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

I've liked how the Celts have looked, too.  However, the record alone isn't conclusive, and the agent is right:  wait until the playoffs before making any long-term decisions.

And boom, Roy again delivers the sanity.

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2013, 01:26:45 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
snippet from this thing:
Rajon Rondo’s agent says his client isn’t listening to the wayward words of those who believe the Celtics will actually be a better team in the long run without their All-Star point guard. But the representative knows what’s being discussed by some of the team’s followers, and he dismissed such talk decisively yesterday.

“I don’t really have a reaction to that,” said Bill Duffy. “But if those people think they can win a championship without him, I think that’s shortsighted.

“I mean, this is the regular season. This guy’s a playoffs superstar. So I think you can take a lot of what happens in the regular season with a grain of salt.”

I don't like this because if the agent is saying this it almost makes me feel like RR is saying this. It's like saying the Celtics are nothing without Rondo. It's rubbed me the wrong way and I kinda hope we win it all without him now.

I've never necessarily been a RR basher but at what point is EVERYONE going to be realistic. We won a championship in 2008 with rondo playing pretty regularly. His averages aren't anything to crazy about. Maybe a couple great games...but are you all really saying we don't have the talent on our bench? They can't find something dip within them?

And at what point are these regular season wins going to MEAN something? I just hate that notion. If we go 10-0 or even 15-0, we will still be saying it doesn't mean anything?

Why is the realism for Rondo so totally skewed and overrated? He's a great ball player and I hope he can adapt to this system we have. He has ONE ring when he avged 10.2pts/4.1rebs/6.6assists on 40.7% shooting in 32 minutes. Really?

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2013/02/rondo_agent%E2%80%99s_not_sold_new_celtics

Duffy is right. It will be drastically harder to win a championship without Rondo, than with Rondo.

"Harder" is one thing, saying we can't win without Rondo is another.

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2013, 01:27:23 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
He has ONE ring when he avged 10.2pts/4.1rebs/6.6assists on 40.7% shooting in 32 minutes. Really?

Well, that was years ago. Lots of players are having AMAZING statlines like Durant, Duncan, Kobe, Melo, Paul, [every player who wasn't on the 2012 Heat, 2011 Mavs, 2010 Lakers].... Rondo was obviously not the most important in 2008 but...

He is definitely very, very important now. Take away Mike Miller from the Heat and they aren't top contenders.

Take away Nick Collison from the Thunder and they're not as good as a top contender.

Take away Matt Barnes from the Clippers and they're not as good as contenders.

Take away Darrell Arthur from the Grizzlies and they're not as good as contenders.

These are all 7th-8th men yet they are crucial to a team's championship success. Rondo was a top-3 player on our team when we weren't even contenders, and yet we don't need him to win a championship?

Our chances go down with him out, and that's obvious imo. BUT DONT GET ME WRONG: I still think we can win with our current team
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2013, 01:29:30 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

I've liked how the Celts have looked, too.  However, the record alone isn't conclusive, and the agent is right:  wait until the playoffs before making any long-term decisions.

you only think things that you agree with are sane lol.
this team doesn't need Rondo to be ball dominant in regular season or play offs. We don't need him to do crazy things for us to win. He's had trib dubs and 30+ games that we've all lost. why?

I think this team still has as decent a shot with or without Rondo. I agree the record isn't conclusive...but it isn't conclusive for either argument for or against Rondo.

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2013, 01:32:22 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
He has ONE ring when he avged 10.2pts/4.1rebs/6.6assists on 40.7% shooting in 32 minutes. Really?

Take away Mike Miller from the Heat and they aren't top contenders.

Take away Nick Collison from the Thunder and they're not as good as a top contender.

Take away Matt Barnes from the Clippers and they're not as good as contenders.

Take away Darrell Arthur from the Grizzlies and they're not as good as contenders.

These are all 7th-8th men yet they are crucial to a team's championship success. Rondo was a top-3 player on our team when we weren't even contenders, and yet we don't need him to win a championship?

Our chances go down with him out, and that's obvious imo. BUT DONT GET ME WRONG: I still think we can win with our current team

no...all those teams are fine. you could argue matt barnes but i think those teams are fine
and Rondo wasn't a top 3 player...he was 4th to the big 3...i don't even think he was 4th lol.

i agree with your last sentiment though.

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2013, 01:33:02 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

you only think things that you agree with are sane lol.
this team doesn't need Rondo to be ball dominant in regular season or play offs. We don't need him to do crazy things for us to win. He's had trib dubs and 30+ games that we've all lost. why?

I think this team still has as decent a shot with or without Rondo. I agree the record isn't conclusive...but it isn't conclusive for either argument for or against Rondo.

I think all we can do is keep Rondo until next year and see how it goes.

As of now, he's not playing, and we should be worrying about what we have.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2013, 01:33:36 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

We lost in 7 games against the Magic, in the 2nd round, and they went to the finals.

We also lost Powe in the first round.

We were also relying on Scalabrine who returned during the playoffs after suffering some concussions, and if reports are to be believed, was playing with the symptoms still.

We were playing without a back-up SF, Tony was hurt and Doc didn't trust him, none of our rookies were prepared to at least give us a few minutes, and we only had Scal.

Pierce was out of gas, Rondo got hurt if I'm not mistaken during the playoffs.

The point is, a lot more happened to us that year other than losing Garnett, and yet, we performed at a high level when it counted, we just fell short in  a series that I still think we should've won.

That said, no way in hell we were better without KG and agree with the premise, but just like back then, it would be a mistake to underestimate this team just because a star player goes down. So while 10-1 wasn't representative of us playing better, it did show us how this team could still be dangerous come playoff time, and the same applies to us right now.

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2013, 01:34:11 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

We lost in 7 games against the Magic, in the 2nd round, and they went to the finals.

We were also relying on Scalabrine who returned during the playoffs after suffering some concussions, and if reports are to be believed, was playing with the symptoms still.

We were playing without a back-up SF, Tony was hurt and Doc didn't trust him, none of our rookies were prepared to at least give us a few minutes, and we only had Scal.

The point is, a lot more happened to us that year other than losing Garnett, and yet, we performed at a high level when it counted, we just fell short in  a series that I still think we should've won.

That said, no way in hell we were better without KG and agree with the premise, but just like back then, it would be a mistake to underestimate this team just because a star player goes down. So while 10-1 wasn't representative of us playing better, it did show us how this team could still be dangerous come playoff time, and the same applies to us right now.

It really is all about the resilience of this team. 6-0!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2013, 01:35:17 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

welp, you get a TP