Author Topic: Rondo's agent concerns me -- realistically?  (Read 12138 times)

Rondo's agent concerns me -- realistically?
« on: February 09, 2013, 12:20:12 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
snippet from this thing:
Rajon Rondo’s agent says his client isn’t listening to the wayward words of those who believe the Celtics will actually be a better team in the long run without their All-Star point guard. But the representative knows what’s being discussed by some of the team’s followers, and he dismissed such talk decisively yesterday.

“I don’t really have a reaction to that,” said Bill Duffy. “But if those people think they can win a championship without him, I think that’s shortsighted.

“I mean, this is the regular season. This guy’s a playoffs superstar. So I think you can take a lot of what happens in the regular season with a grain of salt.”

I don't like this because if the agent is saying this it almost makes me feel like RR is saying this. It's like saying the Celtics are nothing without Rondo. It's rubbed me the wrong way and I kinda hope we win it all without him now.

I've never necessarily been a RR basher but at what point is EVERYONE going to be realistic. We won a championship in 2008 with rondo playing pretty regularly. His averages aren't anything to crazy about. Maybe a couple great games...but are you all really saying we don't have the talent on our bench? They can't find something dip within them?

And at what point are these regular season wins going to MEAN something? I just hate that notion. If we go 10-0 or even 15-0, we will still be saying it doesn't mean anything?

Why is the realism for Rondo so totally skewed and overrated? He's a great ball player and I hope he can adapt to this system we have. He has ONE ring when he avged 10.2pts/4.1rebs/6.6assists on 40.7% shooting in 32 minutes. Really?

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2013/02/rondo_agent%E2%80%99s_not_sold_new_celtics

Re: Rondo's agent concerns me -- realistically?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 12:26:50 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Oh boy, so many things in this post i wanna pick apart but i don't feel like typing that much. Everything the agent said is 100 percent on the mark. I can't be mad at him for not wearing his green colored goggles while talking about this celtics team.

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 12:30:51 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Oh boy, so many things in this post i wanna pick apart but i don't feel like typing that much. Everything the agent said is 100 percent on the mark. I can't be mad at him for not wearing his green colored goggles while talking about this celtics team.

i mean i expect him to take up for his guy. that's not the issue. my issue is I'm wondering if Rondo is pulling a David Ruffin.

And if so, at what point is EVERYONE going to be realistic about Rondo's talents and the season with which we got a ring?????

If regular season wins weren't useful, how about when play offs come we just raffle to see who gets to play who? how about everyone get a shot at the playoffs, no seeding? that's just an awful argument to me.

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 12:31:48 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
so rondo isn't listening to the talks, yet the agent decided to make a statement  :-\

i think we are better without him, for the regular season, but we will miss him for the playoffs

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 12:31:57 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Maybe you might think his agent is out of line saying this in the media but at least he is being truthful and saying what everyone already knows.

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 12:35:02 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Maybe you might think his agent is out of line saying this in the media but at least he is being truthful and saying what everyone already knows.

that's an awful argument lol

i think our play off run may be a tinch easier with Rondo but everyone is making it seem like we are getting swept first round. like there's no one (or two people) in the world that can avg 10 points and 6 assists on our current roster.

how is going 6-0 with several convincing wins to be taken with a grain of salt? who REALLY isn't being realistic here?

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 12:35:52 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
snippet from this thing:
Rajon Rondo’s agent says his client isn’t listening to the wayward words of those who believe the Celtics will actually be a better team in the long run without their All-Star point guard. But the representative knows what’s being discussed by some of the team’s followers, and he dismissed such talk decisively yesterday.

“I don’t really have a reaction to that,” said Bill Duffy. “But if those people think they can win a championship without him, I think that’s shortsighted.

“I mean, this is the regular season. This guy’s a playoffs superstar. So I think you can take a lot of what happens in the regular season with a grain of salt.”

I don't like this because if the agent is saying this it almost makes me feel like RR is saying this. It's like saying the Celtics are nothing without Rondo. It's rubbed me the wrong way and I kinda hope we win it all without him now.

I'm not necessarily expecting it to happen but I *definitely* hope we win it all this year, just like I do every year.

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 12:37:19 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

i think our play off run may be a tinch easier with Rondo but everyone is making it seem like we are getting swept first round. like there's no one (or two people) in the world that can avg 10 points and 6 assists on our current roster.

We only need 10/6 from Rondo in the playoffs to win it all, as long as other people can play like the 2008 versions of KG/PP/RA. Who do you have in mind for those roles? More bench players?

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 12:42:57 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

We only need 10/6 from Rondo in the playoffs to win it all, as long as other people can play like the 2008 versions of KG/PP/RA. Who do you have in mind for those roles? More bench players?

For one, I fully expect JET to turn all the way up for the play offs. We've seen him with the Mavs.

Secondly, this system is not like that system from the Big 3 era. It's finally changed and I think it suits the folks in this system. You still have KG and PP who clearly still have something left in the tank. If they're healthy come play off time, I obviously expect them to give their all. You have other vets like LB (olympic competitor) and JET who have been here before. Jeff and BB have some play off experience. We know how tough AB is. We just have to hope someone gets Courtney's mind right for this experience.

I don't think it's farfetched. We have nights where we win with balanced scoring. We have nights where we see vintage PP and KG. We have nights where the bench outscores the starters. All are great signs.

How is this not real?

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 12:46:31 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

For one, I fully expect JET to turn all the way up for the play offs. We've seen him with the Mavs.

Secondly, this system is not like that system from the Big 3 era. It's finally changed and I think it suits the folks in this system. You still have KG and PP who clearly still have something left in the tank. If they're healthy come play off time, I obviously expect them to give their all. You have other vets like LB (olympic competitor) and JET who have been here before. Jeff and BB have some play off experience. We know how tough AB is. We just have to hope someone gets Courtney's mind right for this experience.

I don't think it's farfetched. We have nights where we win with balanced scoring. We have nights where we see vintage PP and KG. We have nights where the bench outscores the starters. All are great signs.

How is this not real?

You do know that Courtney Lee played a contributing role to a Magic's team that went to the finals right?

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 12:48:03 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
while what he says is true...but its one thing to think about it, and another to actually open your big mouth about it

yes Rondo is a playoff superstar, but man saying that openly will just rub people in the locker room and the organization the wrong way!

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 12:48:47 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

How is this not real?

You do know that Courtney Lee played a contributing role to a Magic's team that went to the finals right?

I just realized that. But thank you for pointing that out
TP for you.

But that was once wasn't it? In 2009?
Still...then...we have guys with the experience.

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 12:50:44 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
while what he says is true...but its one thing to think about it, and another to actually open your big mouth about it

yes Rondo is a playoff superstar, but man saying that openly will just rub people in the locker room and the organization the wrong way!

i agree. and it's obvious we already have an emotional bunch.
just like trade rumors and people calling KG old get him playing out of this world, this may get someone else playing out of this world.

On the flipside, it could damage some people. just a reckless thing to say.

these guys are building up their confidence. you, a rep for RR, pretty much just said it doesn't mean anything. that's not good.

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 12:51:53 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
It's a different team without Rondo. Maybe better, maybe not, time will tell.

Bradley brings very different things to the table than Rondo.

With Rondo, we seem to more of a point guard dominant team. With Bradley we seem to more of a defensive, motion offense type of team.

To be honest, as much as I love Rondo, I kind of enjoy watching this team more - I just like the shared effort, everyone seems much more animated and involved, invested.

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 12:55:21 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I suspect Duffy's phone will be ringing from a 617 area code very shortly for a quick chat about his comments. Just a dumb thing to say, and what's worse, a further implication of his clients growing reputation as a less than stellar team player.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)