Author Topic: Rondo's agent concerns me -- realistically?  (Read 12133 times)

Re: Rondo's agent concerns me -- realistically?
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2013, 05:02:56 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
snippet from this thing:
Rajon Rondo’s agent says his client isn’t listening to the wayward words of those who believe the Celtics will actually be a better team in the long run without their All-Star point guard. But the representative knows what’s being discussed by some of the team’s followers, and he dismissed such talk decisively yesterday.

“I don’t really have a reaction to that,” said Bill Duffy. “But if those people think they can win a championship without him, I think that’s shortsighted.

“I mean, this is the regular season. This guy’s a playoffs superstar. So I think you can take a lot of what happens in the regular season with a grain of salt.”

I don't like this because if the agent is saying this it almost makes me feel like RR is saying this. It's like saying the Celtics are nothing without Rondo. It's rubbed me the wrong way and I kinda hope we win it all without him now.

I've never necessarily been a RR basher but at what point is EVERYONE going to be realistic. We won a championship in 2008 with rondo playing pretty regularly. His averages aren't anything to crazy about. Maybe a couple great games...but are you all really saying we don't have the talent on our bench? They can't find something dip within them?

And at what point are these regular season wins going to MEAN something? I just hate that notion. If we go 10-0 or even 15-0, we will still be saying it doesn't mean anything?

Why is the realism for Rondo so totally skewed and overrated? He's a great ball player and I hope he can adapt to this system we have. He has ONE ring when he avged 10.2pts/4.1rebs/6.6assists on 40.7% shooting in 32 minutes. Really?

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2013/02/rondo_agent%E2%80%99s_not_sold_new_celtics

My concern is moreso that he said "you can rake the regular season with a grain of salt".  If this is feedback from Rondo being forwarded through his agent, then that pretty much confirms the thought that he doesn't care about the regular season, and only bothers to play in playoff games, or games against playoff teams.  I don't like that "choose which games you play in" attitude at all because you need to beat teams in the regular season in order to make the playoffs.

If this (as many of us feared) really is his attitude I would trade him now.

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2013, 05:07:04 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Well, at one point we had a stretch where we went 10-1 without KG in 2009.  Sometimes teams can pull together when one of their stars is down.  That doesn't mean the team is better without that player.

I've liked how the Celts have looked, too.  However, the record alone isn't conclusive, and the agent is right:  wait until the playoffs before making any long-term decisions.

And boom, Roy again delivers the sanity.

you only think things that you agree with are sane lol.
this team doesn't need Rondo to be ball dominant in regular season or play offs. We don't need him to do crazy things for us to win. He's had trib dubs and 30+ games that we've all lost. why?

I think this team still has as decent a shot with or without Rondo. I agree the record isn't conclusive...but it isn't conclusive for either argument for or against Rondo.

Roy makes two points I agree with. At one time, when the Celts lost KG, they had a 10-1 record without him. Second, I think you might want to wait until the playoffs without Rondo before proclaiming anything about this team.

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2013, 05:28:31 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
Well, at one point we had a stretch where we went 10-1 without KG in 2009.  Sometimes teams can pull together when one of their stars is down.  That doesn't mean the team is better without that player.

I've liked how the Celts have looked, too.  However, the record alone isn't conclusive, and the agent is right:  wait until the playoffs before making any long-term decisions.

Did you seriously just compare KG's importance to the Celtics with Rondo's importance to the Celtics?

That team was built around KG, Pierce and Allen. Hence, when KG went down, the team collapsed. Same reason Heat almost lost when Bosh went down. While the team is constructed as Rondo leading them, Ainge has not put all the leadership duties on him, as demonstrated by his free agent signings. There are a lot of players that can put this team on their back on different nights.

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2013, 05:34:52 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

And boom, Roy again delivers the sanity.

you only think things that you agree with are sane lol.
this team doesn't need Rondo to be ball dominant in regular season or play offs. We don't need him to do crazy things for us to win. He's had trib dubs and 30+ games that we've all lost. why?

I think this team still has as decent a shot with or without Rondo. I agree the record isn't conclusive...but it isn't conclusive for either argument for or against Rondo.

Roy makes two points I agree with. At one time, when the Celts lost KG, they had a 10-1 record without him. Second, I think you might want to wait until the playoffs without Rondo before proclaiming anything about this team.

you've proclaimed lots about the team. I'm doing nothing that you haven't done.

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2013, 05:35:35 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
snippet from this thing:
Rajon Rondo’s agent says his client isn’t listening to the wayward words of those who believe the Celtics will actually be a better team in the long run without their All-Star point guard. But the representative knows what’s being discussed by some of the team’s followers, and he dismissed such talk decisively yesterday.

“I don’t really have a reaction to that,” said Bill Duffy. “But if those people think they can win a championship without him, I think that’s shortsighted.

“I mean, this is the regular season. This guy’s a playoffs superstar. So I think you can take a lot of what happens in the regular season with a grain of salt.”

I don't like this because if the agent is saying this it almost makes me feel like RR is saying this. It's like saying the Celtics are nothing without Rondo. It's rubbed me the wrong way and I kinda hope we win it all without him now.

I've never necessarily been a RR basher but at what point is EVERYONE going to be realistic. We won a championship in 2008 with rondo playing pretty regularly. His averages aren't anything to crazy about. Maybe a couple great games...but are you all really saying we don't have the talent on our bench? They can't find something dip within them?

And at what point are these regular season wins going to MEAN something? I just hate that notion. If we go 10-0 or even 15-0, we will still be saying it doesn't mean anything?

Why is the realism for Rondo so totally skewed and overrated? He's a great ball player and I hope he can adapt to this system we have. He has ONE ring when he avged 10.2pts/4.1rebs/6.6assists on 40.7% shooting in 32 minutes. Really?

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2013/02/rondo_agent%E2%80%99s_not_sold_new_celtics

My concern is moreso that he said "you can rake the regular season with a grain of salt".  If this is feedback from Rondo being forwarded through his agent, then that pretty much confirms the thought that he doesn't care about the regular season, and only bothers to play in playoff games, or games against playoff teams.  I don't like that "choose which games you play in" attitude at all because you need to beat teams in the regular season in order to make the playoffs.

idk about trading him but that is concerning. i mean...what is with that attitude?
i don't get that.

« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2013, 05:40:48 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
snippet from this thing:

Aside from the fact that you have no idea whether Rondo had anything to do with that comment, are you advocating trading all of the players who seem to have stepped up while Rondo's out? Do we need players on offense who play harder only when they have a bigger role on offense?

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2013, 05:46:23 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
snippet from this thing:

Aside from the fact that you have no idea whether Rondo had anything to do with that comment, are you advocating trading all of the players who seem to have stepped up while Rondo's out? Do we need players on offense who play harder only when they have a bigger role on offense?

I think this is debateable for a couple reasons. Doc's system to use role players for one or two things. It feels like many of them are not allowed to or don't feel comfortable playing outside of what the system says. For example, JET running all those double screens like Ray did -- that's not his game but that's what he has to do. As much as I hate the PP iso, he has to do it even if he may not want to.

I think these players aren't playing harder but they're playing FREER. They're playing to their strengths and don't have as many things holding them back. And as I've said before the only thing they have to step up to do is rebound.

Jeff Green was a puppet in the corner. If he did cut, Rondo almost always looked him off. Jet was being utilized as a spot up shooter, not much of a creator. So forth and so on.

« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2013, 05:52:26 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
I suspect Duffy's phone will be ringing from a 617 area code very shortly for a quick chat about his comments. Just a dumb thing to say, and what's worse, a further implication of his clients growing reputation as a less than stellar team player.
Pretty much, although Duffy's not saying anything that any Celtics fan not awash in manlove doesn't know already.

"My guy is a dominant player WHEN HE WANTS TO PLAY."

Duffy's just saying what some of us have known for years. No biggie.

Rondo's not the first player in nba history that plays big in important games but he's probably the first such player that's regularly attacked for it by a large segment of his own team's fans.

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2013, 05:57:25 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
I suspect Duffy's phone will be ringing from a 617 area code very shortly for a quick chat about his comments. Just a dumb thing to say, and what's worse, a further implication of his clients growing reputation as a less than stellar team player.
Pretty much, although Duffy's not saying anything that any Celtics fan not awash in manlove doesn't know already.

Rondo's not the first player in nba history that plays big in important games but he's probably the first such player that's regularly attacked for it by a large segment of his own team's fans.

lol
i love how people rationalize the idea that fans shouldn't get on Rondo for being the diva he is.

We are fans. We want wins in the regular season as well as post season. Why is this a bad thing? We want bragging rights. We want to say our player is definitely better than your player.

OKC gets to play hard. Spurs play hard. Heat are coasting a bit but they do know how to play hard when need be. Nuggets are playing hard. Clippers are playing hard.

Cuz Boston has 17 banners, we just supposed to coast and what not? I hate that line of thinking. I really do. Guys don't respect us. We are only as good as our record.

I want rondo to play great all the time. be consistent. and then turn up in the play offs. why is this wrong of me?

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2013, 06:01:56 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

lol
i love how people rationalize the idea that fans shouldn't get on Rondo for being the diva he is.

We are fans. We want wins in the regular season as well as post season. Why is this a bad thing? We want bragging rights. We want to say our player is definitely better than your player.

OKC gets to play hard. Spurs play hard. Heat are coasting a bit but they do know how to play hard when need be. Nuggets are playing hard. Clippers are playing hard.

Cuz Boston has 17 banners, we just supposed to coast and what not? I hate that line of thinking. I really do. Guys don't respect us. We are only as good as our record.

I want rondo to play great all the time. be consistent. and then turn up in the play offs. why is this wrong of me?
[/quote

What was that about the Heat?

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2013, 06:06:29 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
snippet from this thing:

I think this is debateable for a couple reasons. Doc's system to use role players for one or two things. It feels like many of them are not allowed to or don't feel comfortable playing outside of what the system says. For example, JET running all those double screens like Ray did -- that's not his game but that's what he has to do. As much as I hate the PP iso, he has to do it even if he may not want to.

I think these players aren't playing harder but they're playing FREER. They're playing to their strengths and don't have as many things holding them back. And as I've said before the only thing they have to step up to do is rebound.

Jeff Green was a puppet in the corner. If he did cut, Rondo almost always looked him off. Jet was being utilized as a spot up shooter, not much of a creator. So forth and so on.

In one post you attack Rondo's effort at times and call him a diva, in another post you explain why it's ok for people to lollygag around on the court because "they aren't comfortable with their roles". Go figure.

Also, look at the quotes you're seeing from the team about how players are stepping up because they normally expect Rondo to do so much for the team, now they have to do things on their own. You're attacking the player who's team claims he does much of the heavy lifting and defending the players who were to a point watching him do all the work.

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2013, 06:07:29 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

lol

What was that about the Heat?

the most recent of reigning champs. the team with Lebron on it who easily is one of the best players in the league, if not on the planet. We're well aware of what they can do. Also, in their last couple games, I think they've pretty much been on. They coasted earlier in the year but I think they've gotten their act together.

Celtics haven't won diddly squat since 2008. And ECF a couple years later (which we don't hang banners for). Please tell me why Rondo gets to coast but wants to be in the MVP convo, wants to be a leader, and wants to be recognized for greatness? Cuz he makes cute passes?

It bothers me that rondo can score 30 points in one game and 6 in another and think thats hunky dory. It bothers me that Rondo can be pass first one game, and take the shots the next. That's inconsistency. And in no way are we to be consistent until our leader is. He doesn't get to coast.

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2013, 06:11:14 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
snippet from this thing:

In one post you attack Rondo's effort at times and call him a diva, in another post you explain why it's ok for people to lollygag around on the court because "they aren't comfortable with their roles". Go figure.

Also, look at the quotes you're seeing from the team about how players are stepping up because they normally expect Rondo to do so much for the team, now they have to do things on their own. You're attacking the player who's team claims he does much of the heavy lifting and defending the players who were to a point watching him do all the work.

oh, I never said they were lollygagging around, so that's where you're wrong. I essentially said they were too much in a box.

of course they're going to say they're stepping up. fortunately they know a bit of PR and aren't going to be classless like the agent here or like our western rivals the lakers. Jet is probably the only one who has said we get to play freer. DA has said they get to play more free. Doc has essentially said that.

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2013, 06:15:06 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
It bothers me that rondo can score 30 points in one game and 6 in another and think thats hunky dory. It bothers me that Rondo can be pass first one game, and take the shots the next. That's inconsistency. And in no way are we to be consistent until our leader is. He doesn't get to coast.

Rondo's role on the team isn't to score 30 points. He does at times but he's more valuable as a passer. The guy came close to the all time double digit assist streak and he probably has more double doubles in the last year than any other point guard. That's not inconsistent unless you don't understand anything that a point guard like Rondo contributes to a team other than scoring. And being pass first in one game and shooting more the next game isn't inconsistent, it's being able to contribute to the team in multiple ways depending on the situation.

« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2013, 06:16:10 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Did you seriously just compare KG's importance to the Celtics with Rondo's importance to the Celtics?

That team was built around KG, Pierce and Allen. Hence, when KG went down, the team collapsed. Same reason Heat almost lost when Bosh went down. While the team is constructed as Rondo leading them, Ainge has not put all the leadership duties on him, as demonstrated by his free agent signings. There are a lot of players that can put this team on their back on different nights.

Only the team didn't collapse when KG went down.