Author Topic: Rondo's agent concerns me -- realistically?  (Read 12127 times)

Re: Rondo's agent concerns me -- realistically?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 12:55:50 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
He's saying what he's paid to do as an agent.

Of course, he's going to talk up his client and I think there are a lot of fans out there thinking the same thing;  what's going on now is all fun & good but the playoffs are a different animal and that's when the absense of Rondo will be felt most.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 12:58:27 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I didn't see anything wrong with the statement. Rondo does step up in the playoffs and that will be when we miss him most.

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 12:59:10 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Of course, he's going to talk up his client and I think there are a lot of fans out there thinking the same thing;  what's going on now is all fun & good but the playoffs are a different animal and that's when the absense of Rondo will be felt most.

says who? says what?
everyone's gut?

like i said...road to 18 is a tinch easier with Rondo than without. But it isn't impossible esp with this group and the way we've been playing - moreso DEFENSIVELY than OFFENSIVELY.

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 12:59:15 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
“I don’t really have a reaction to that,” said Bill Duffy. “But if those people think they can win a championship without him, I think that’s shortsighted.

This really rubbed me the wrong way too.  I understand its his job to pump up his client and not support the celtics, but the completely unsupportive nature of it annoys me. 
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 12:59:43 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Well, at one point we had a stretch where we went 10-1 without KG in 2009.  Sometimes teams can pull together when one of their stars is down.  That doesn't mean the team is better without that player.

I've liked how the Celts have looked, too.  However, the record alone isn't conclusive, and the agent is right:  wait until the playoffs before making any long-term decisions.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 01:00:48 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
while what he says is true...but its one thing to think about it, and another to actually open your big mouth about it

yes Rondo is a playoff superstar, but man saying that openly will just rub people in the locker room and the organization the wrong way!

I'd guess there are quite a few people in the locker room and the organization who aren't all that thrilled with the way people are bashing Rondo.

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 01:02:20 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Well, at one point we had a stretch where we went 10-1 without KG in 2009.  Sometimes teams can pull together when one of their stars is down.  That doesn't mean the team is better without that player.

I've liked how the Celts have looked, too.  However, the record alone isn't conclusive, and the agent is right:  wait until the playoffs before making any long-term decisions.

i guess i agree with that
are we better without rondo? prolly not
are we PLAYING better without rondo? absolutely

Also, we've gone 17-10 without Rondo since he's been here, I believe. That's a winning 60+% record.

I think we're disregarding how much this team NEEDED to pull together. Chemistry is one thing that can't really be put in numbers, but it's VERY important.

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 01:03:10 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
“I don’t really have a reaction to that,” said Bill Duffy. “But if those people think they can win a championship without him, I think that’s shortsighted.

This really rubbed me the wrong way too.  I understand its his job to pump up his client and not support the celtics, but the completely unsupportive nature of it annoys me.

I agree. it's unsupportive.
I understand he's an agent, but are you really going to diss the organization that's paying your client $11mil?

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 01:04:21 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

I've liked how the Celts have looked, too. However, the record alone isn't conclusive, and the agent is right:  wait until the playoffs before making any long-term decisions.

Its not just that we won 6 in a row but its the way we're doing it. It looks alot better than the first 6 game winning streak we had. The one game we didn't look good in we still found a way to win *Raptors game*. Still I'm not convinced by any means.

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 01:07:07 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
When we lose in the second round because we didn't have Rondo's playmaking ability, I'm going to bump this thread, just for giggles.

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 01:10:50 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

I've liked how the Celts have looked, too. However, the record alone isn't conclusive, and the agent is right:  wait until the playoffs before making any long-term decisions.

Its not just that we won 6 in a row but its the way we're doing it. It looks alot better than the first 6 game winning streak we had. The one game we didn't look good in we still found a way to win *Raptors game*. Still I'm not convinced by any means.

We win against the Heat in Double OT, after we just had a Double OT and lost.
We handle the Sacremento Kings by double digits, a team that handled us by 20+ earlier in the season.
Handle the Magic.
Find a way to blow a lead with the Clippers and STILL win.
We win against Raptors after being down 10 in the 4th to come back and win by 5....in regulation.
We then turn around and beat the uptrending Lakers by 21 points, and led them by 30 at one point.

and these mean nothing to you? You do know that earlier in the season we would've lost to the Heat, the Clippers and the Raptors?

I just would love to know at what point are these wins 'conclusive' enough for you experts? lol. These are all night and day wins of losses we've endured....and still, nothing???

wow

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

says who? says what?
everyone's gut?

like i said...road to 18 is a tinch easier with Rondo than without. But it isn't impossible esp with this group and the way we've been playing - moreso DEFENSIVELY than OFFENSIVELY.

Yes, there are actually people out there who doubt this team's ability to win Banner 18 this year with the absence of Rondo.  You need only to look at these boards to realize that.

Gut, intuition, call it whatever you want. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 01:13:08 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
When we lose in the second round because we didn't have Rondo's playmaking ability, I'm going to bump this thread, just for giggles.

if Rondo comes back and we win nothing, I'm going to bump this thread.

If we get to the ECF or Finals at all, I'm going to bump this thread.

Rondo is great. He's not a god, though. I fully expect people to continue to step up.

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 01:13:15 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

We handle the Sacremento Kings by double digits, a team that handled us by 20+ earlier in the season.
Handle the Magic.
We win against Raptors after being down 10 in the 4th to come back and win by 5....in regulation.
We then turn around and beat the uptrending Lakers by 21 points, and led them by 30 at one point.

and these mean nothing to you? You do know that earlier in the season we would've lost to the Heat, the Clippers and the Raptors?

I just would love to know at what point are these wins 'conclusive' enough for you experts? lol. These are all night and day wins of losses we've endured....and still, nothing???

wow

All the wins were great.  Unfortunately, this team cares more about playoff wins, and we won't be getting many of those without Rondo.

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 01:13:51 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

Handle the Magic.

wow

It means we won 6 straight and I had fun watching it, that's it. What do you want me to say? The celtics are legit championship contenders because they won 6 games in a row in the regular season?