Author Topic: small upgrade and salary cutting move  (Read 3168 times)

Re: small upgrade and salary cutting move
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 06:47:23 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
If true i think that's pretty ridiculous that he wouldn't play for a better team if traded because he doesn't like the team, it's not like he played here and Boston did something to scorn him.

Would you say that if he felt that way about the Lakers (and the Lakers were having a better season)?

Actually i would. As fans we can hate the lakers without any concern or loss, but as a player you have to look at it as a business and weigh your options to make the most  of your career. If a team is calling for you that gets you closer to a championship take the opportunity, plus he'd be a starter in either one of the scenarios so he would be a huge part of any success they had.

Unless the organization has personally wronged you in the past, i don't see any valid reason not to want to have a chance at a championship. Even though the C's aren't the upper echelon of title favorites this year, being in the playoffs is a better chance then being on a lottery team in Dallas.

* didn't Paul Pierce grow up hating the Celtics? Look where he is now!
first off I don't quite 100% know why Shawn despises the C's or even 50% understand it with the tradition & success we've had throughout the years. But with being said, I grew up a die-hard Celtics fan & Dallas Cowboys fan growing up in Memphis before moving to Phoenix. Memphis Tennessee had zero major sports franchises while I was growing up so I had to root for all the teams in other states. Therefore the Detroit Tigers, Boston Celtics & Dallas Cowboys. With that said I had EXTREMELY STRONG BONDS to my teams I grew up rooting for. So if I had a choice via trade or Free agency I would NEVER sign with Lakers, Sixers or Knicks in basketball & the Giants, Redskins, Eagles & Steelers in football. Just wouldn't do it no matter what at any cost, I would take paycut to go elsewhere for my piece of mind & stay happy instead of help a team I don't care for much win. Call it selfish? Maybe. But the only circumstances I would play for 1 of those teams is if I were drafted by them. Only way! And I'm no way thinking for Trix but he's made of 110 mil in his career & he has saved extremely well (cheap) & has a title! So maybe thats his thinking of he l no at all costs because he's done everything he's wanted in his career & could retire instead of playing for his hated rival! And I if I was him would probably do the same thing! Switch the tables I would not sign with the Lakers if I was close to retirement had played in All-star games, made alot of retirement type money & won a title. I would probably just say no thanks & hang it up.

Re: small upgrade and salary cutting move
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 08:10:47 PM »

Offline cletus1985

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 408
If true i think that's pretty ridiculous that he wouldn't play for a better team if traded because he doesn't like the team, it's not like he played here and Boston did something to scorn him.

Would you say that if he felt that way about the Lakers (and the Lakers were having a better season)?

Actually i would. As fans we can hate the lakers without any concern or loss, but as a player you have to look at it as a business and weigh your options to make the most  of your career. If a team is calling for you that gets you closer to a championship take the opportunity, plus he'd be a starter in either one of the scenarios so he would be a huge part of any success they had.

Unless the organization has personally wronged you in the past, i don't see any valid reason not to want to have a chance at a championship. Even though the C's aren't the upper echelon of title favorites this year, being in the playoffs is a better chance then being on a lottery team in Dallas.

* didn't Paul Pierce grow up hating the Celtics? Look where he is now!
first off I don't quite 100% know why Shawn despises the C's or even 50% understand it with the tradition & success we've had throughout the years. But with being said, I grew up a die-hard Celtics fan & Dallas Cowboys fan growing up in Memphis before moving to Phoenix. Memphis Tennessee had zero major sports franchises while I was growing up so I had to root for all the teams in other states. Therefore the Detroit Tigers, Boston Celtics & Dallas Cowboys. With that said I had EXTREMELY STRONG BONDS to my teams I grew up rooting for. So if I had a choice via trade or Free agency I would NEVER sign with Lakers, Sixers or Knicks in basketball & the Giants, Redskins, Eagles & Steelers in football. Just wouldn't do it no matter what at any cost, I would take paycut to go elsewhere for my piece of mind & stay happy instead of help a team I don't care for much win. Call it selfish? Maybe. But the only circumstances I would play for 1 of those teams is if I were drafted by them. Only way! And I'm no way thinking for Trix but he's made of 110 mil in his career & he has saved extremely well (cheap) & has a title! So maybe thats his thinking of he l no at all costs because he's done everything he's wanted in his career & could retire instead of playing for his hated rival! And I if I was him would probably do the same thing! Switch the tables I would not sign with the Lakers if I was close to retirement had played in All-star games, made alot of retirement type money & won a title. I would probably just say no thanks & hang it up.

Once again all we can do is speak from a fan's perspective. I think after years in the league most professionals see it as their career and lose that resentment understanding this is a business. They deal with all the business aspects we don't have to.

Marion may be the exception to the rule, but I've never heard of a player refusing to play for a team because he's not a fan of that team. I've heard of players not reporting because they refuse to be part of a rebuilding process late in their careers, players not wanting to go to an organization that's run horribly or mistreated them in the past , and obviously some want to go to large markets to promote themselves and get larger advertising deals. Squandering an opportunity to win because you grew up rooting for another team sounds like horrible career management.