Author Topic: Ian Mahinmi an option?  (Read 1151 times)

Ian Mahinmi an option?
« on: February 09, 2013, 04:02:47 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Only getting around 15 mins a game playing behind Hibbert. What would Ind want for him?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Ian Mahinmi an option?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 04:54:20 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Given his contract, I suspect they would want a late lottery pick and a young player with starter potential.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 04:57:52 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Mahinmi is playing well for Indy. Good solid contributor off the bench.

And an important one at that because Mahinmi provides legitimate size and defensive presence when Roy Hibbert goes to the bench. Hibbert is not a high minute player. He plays less than Garnett. He is usually in the low end of that 28-30 minute per game range.

Plus, Indiana has two undersized PFs in David West and Tyler Hansbrough, neither of whom provides any real rim protection defensively, so there is a big need there for Indiana to have a defensive orientated center alongside them at all times. And with Hibbert minutes limited, that means they need a quality backup center.

So, because of those reasons, Mahinmi is a valuable contributor for Indiana. He balances their team. Important glue guy off the bench. If Indiana were to part with Mahinmi, they'd need a quality replacement center coming back to them. He is too valuable to give up otherwise (unless getting a large return for him).

Furthermore, and finally, Indiana gave up Darren Collison to get Mahinmi there in the summer so I'd say they value Mahinmi pretty highly. That Mahinmi would be difficult to pry away from the team. Very expensive (relative to his talent) to acquire.

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 05:02:02 PM »

Offline cletus1985

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 408
I've thought he'd be great for us too, but not sure he's on the block. He's young and plays good defense and hustles. He's a great asset for Indiana and I'm not sure they'd give him up unless someone overpays, can't ask for much better when it comes to a cheap backup center.

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 05:05:17 PM »

fitzhickey

Always wanted him, very athletic and a big presence inside. He would be quite expensive