Author Topic: Cavs set to offer Greg Oden a 3 year contract  (Read 1170 times)

Cavs set to offer Greg Oden a 3 year contract
« on: February 09, 2013, 09:09:20 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

The Cavs are expected to offer free agent center Greg Oden a two-year contract with a team option for a third year after the Feb. 21 trade deadline passes, a league source said.  The contract would begin immediately.

The Cavs have about $4 million in cap space, which they are preserving now for potential trades. Teams around the league don't want to sign Oden until after the trade deadline. 

Oden has visited with the Boston Celtics and could meet again with the Cavs in the coming weeks, his agent said Friday.

Oden is living nearby in Columbus. His agent, Mike Conley Sr., said last week Oden has been to see the Cavs a couple of times already, but was evasive when pressed as to what capacity.

“Greg has been up there (to Cleveland) before and he’ll probably be up there again in an official capacity,” Conley said Friday.

The Cavs have been interested in Oden for years, believing their partnership with the world-renowned Cleveland Clinic (which holds naming rights to the team's practice facility) could be huge for Oden's career.

Oden has endured three microfracture surgeries on his knees – including two on his left knee. He has not played since Dec. 5, 2009 after the Portland Trail Blazers made him the top overall pick of the 2007 draft.

He played in just 82 games over five seasons with the Blazers, averaging 9.4 points and 7.3 rebounds. They finally released him near the end of last season.

Conley said Oden’s spirits are “the best they’ve been in a long time. I would say since I’ve known him, but I’ve known him since he was 9.”

Conley told the Beacon Journal last week Oden is healthy and anxious to return to the court, but that won't happen until next season.

"He’s going to make an impact on whatever team he’s on -- a big impact," Conley said. "He’s already back in my eyes. As long as he stays healthy, he’ll get better and better. He hasn’t had a chance to improve his game of basketball because of all this. The upside on him is tremendous. He’s a young kid. He just turned 25. He’s in the prime of his life.”

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-cavaliers/cleveland-cavaliers-1.275356/cavs-prepared-to-offer-greg-oden-two-year-contract-with-option-for-third-year-1.371699?localLinksEnabled=false&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Not sure if a 3 year contract makes it more or less likely for Oden to sign with them. On one hand , he is an injury prone big man who I am sure could use the money, but what if he comes back very strong next year? Wouldn't it be smarter to sign a 1 year deal and then try to cash in after a good contract year?

Re: Cavs set to offer Greg Oden a 3 year contract
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 09:23:48 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
what if he comes back very strong next year?

What are the odds of that?  Certainly, not strong in his favor.

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 09:30:45 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I don't think he's coming back "because he could sure use the money". He made a lot in Portland. I think he just wants to finally play healthy and see what he can do.

I'll be rooting for him, hopefully on the Celtics.

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 09:38:47 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
In practicality that's a two-yer contract with benefits (for the team).

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 11:02:35 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Good move by them.