Author Topic: Why did nobody want Leandro Barbosa this summer?  (Read 4491 times)

Re: Why did nobody want Leandro Barbosa this summer?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 02:01:17 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
From day one, I've said Barbosa is an great addition, and there is no reason to not play him
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 02:21:23 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Simple, he was hurt for the end of last year (ankle injury I think) which led to him playing poorly in the playoffs.  Injuries always make teams skeptical to dish out any money (and Barbosa made close to 8 million last year) until they've regained their previous form on the court.

To make this worse, I don't think he ever returned to the US, spending the entire summer in Brazil (sick family I believe).  No chance to work out with teams and prove he had recovered.  Remember, he even had work visa problems after the season had already started.

Couple that with him only wanting to go to a winning team, and the Celtics get extremely lucky.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 03:58:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Simple, he was hurt for the end of last year (ankle injury I think) which led to him playing poorly in the playoffs.  Injuries always make teams skeptical to dish out any money (and Barbosa made close to 8 million last year) until they've regained their previous form on the court.

To make this worse, I don't think he ever returned to the US, spending the entire summer in Brazil (sick family I believe).  No chance to work out with teams and prove he had recovered.  Remember, he even had work visa problems after the season had already started.

Couple that with him only wanting to go to a winning team, and the Celtics get extremely lucky.
Thought he played well for Brazil in the Olympics this summer. As a matter of fact I thought his play in the Olympics sparked some interest from the Lakers.

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 04:17:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Just hasn't been used right ever since he left phx that has lowered his value

He is playing at his peak again and danny probably has calls coming inquiring about his availability

If a top team like okc suddenly lost Westbrook, we could prob snatch a 1st round pick off of them for barb.

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 04:39:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

He is playing at his peak again and danny probably has calls coming inquiring about his availability

If a top team like okc suddenly lost Westbrook, we could prob snatch a 1st round pick off of them for barb.
Let's not go nuts. There's no way OKC gives us a first round pick for Barbosa, a fourth string reserve guard who is making the league minimum. I don't care if Westbrook did go down for the season.

Barbosa has been okay but let's face facts,

1.) over the last 5 games, there hasn't been a team the Celtics played that appeared even remotely like they wanted to win.
2.) before that Barbosa showed next to nothing this year and completely nothing defensively
3.) Barbosa isn't playing so well or so consistently to warrant someone giving the C's a 1st rounder for him
4.) Barbosa is a bit of a defined taste. He plays ball his way and not necessarily the way the system a coach might want him to play. For that reason, some teams will not have interest in him.

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 05:08:43 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

Thought he played well for Brazil in the Olympics this summer. As a matter of fact I thought his play in the Olympics sparked some interest from the Lakers.
True that.  Although he was pretty poor on defense.  Nothing like he's been for us, which has been excellent.  He played this kind of D back in Phoenix, but not really since.
Philly:

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 05:43:25 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

Let's not go nuts. There's no way OKC gives us a first round pick for Barbosa, a fourth string reserve guard who is making the league minimum. I don't care if Westbrook did go down for the season.

1.) over the last 5 games, there hasn't been a team the Celtics played that appeared even remotely like they wanted to win.
2.) before that Barbosa showed next to nothing this year and completely nothing defensively
3.) Barbosa isn't playing so well or so consistently to warrant someone giving the C's a 1st rounder for him
4.) Barbosa is a bit of a defined taste. He plays ball his way and not necessarily the way the system a coach might want him to play. For that reason, some teams will not have interest in him.
That's wrong on both accounts.  He had 4 games over 15 points the first month.  He shot 47% and 43% from 3, averaging 7 points in only 14 minutes.

Then he got benched to give Terry/Lee more minutes and try to get them in ANY kind of rhythm (because they were absolutely dreadful) before Bradley came back. 

He's outscored Rondo, Terry, Lee, Green, Bass, Sullinger, Bradley, everybody but Pierce and KG per minute for the ENTIRE season.  And I don't think you'll find a lot of people that will agree with "showed completely nothing defensively."  He's been well above average on that end.
Philly:

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 05:57:46 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Should've been playing more early in the season instead of running rondo into the ground

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 06:21:27 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

That's wrong on both accounts.  He had 4 games over 15 points the first month.  He shot 47% and 43% from 3, averaging 7 points in only 14 minutes.

Then he got benched to give Terry/Lee more minutes and try to get them in ANY kind of rhythm (because they were absolutely dreadful) before Bradley came back. 

He's outscored Rondo, Terry, Lee, Green, Bass, Sullinger, Bradley, everybody but Pierce and KG per minute for the ENTIRE season.  And I don't think you'll find a lot of people that will agree with "showed completely nothing defensively."  He's been well above average on that end.

I was about to go down number by number b/c all of it is hogwash! You did fine, TP!

It's funny how teams all of the sudden stop trying just as soon as we play them...

My guess on why teams "didn't" want him... it isn't true, they probably were willing to give him a little more than the minimum but he wasn't willing to go to any team he didn't think was contending. He probably only agreed to take the minimum based on where he was going to play (here). I would almost guarantee he could have gotten double what he's being paid here from other teams, the teams that could offer him that were probably the bad ones. Just because these players didn't get picked up quick does not mean they weren't offered more than the vet min... they probably weren't offered what they think they are worth but I'm sure they could have gotten more than vet min. Barbosa was really good in the Olympics, his team would not have won anything without him and been blown out of games they stayed close in (didn't they almost beat us because of him... I can't remember much b/c I almost hated our team)?
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 06:50:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Although he was pretty poor on defense.  Nothing like he's been for us, which has been excellent.  He played this kind of D back in Phoenix, but not really since.
I don't think he's been excellent. He's played with a lot of effort, but he tends to overcommit and can be caught off-balance. He won't be confused for Tony Allen or Avery Bradley, but I think he's done enough not to be a liability.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."