Author Topic: What's new: Clutch  (Read 1573 times)

What's new: Clutch
« on: March 08, 2013, 11:21:41 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
 This recent run we've had has been defined by our clutchness. Earlier in the season, we'd give away a lot of winnable games. During this stretch (14-4), we've had maybe four close, nitty-gritty wins. Earlier, in December we'd have lost these. If we lost these close ones, we'd be just a ho-hum 10-8. Big shots from Terry, Pierce, Green, big rebounds from Bradley, Bass, Garnett... This is why we are good. A key factor of contending, is winning when you suck. We're showing we can do that (we did it last year too).

I really like our chances, even if ATL and IND scare me now. Go Celtics.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Re: What's new: Clutch
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 11:26:51 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Pierce and Terry purified themselves in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 11:31:05 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Pierce and Terry purified themselves in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...

green also had a HUGE steal on smith when he tried to iso green in OT!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 12:53:40 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
This recent run we've had has been defined by our clutchness. Earlier in the season, we'd give away a lot of winnable games. During this stretch (14-4), we've had maybe four close, nitty-gritty wins. Earlier, in December we'd have lost these. If we lost these close ones, we'd be just a ho-hum 10-8. Big shots from Terry, Pierce, Green, big rebounds from Bradley, Bass, Garnett... This is why we are good. A key factor of contending, is winning when you suck. We're showing we can do that (we did it last year too).

Absolutely, and this is the same character that has defined this team over the past several seasons.  Outside of 2008 there have always been teams out there with more talent, but we have always exceeded expectations becuase we have had guys with heart who come through when we need it most.

This season I always knew that KG, Pierce and Terry were going to be big time clutch players. I also knew Rondo had the ability to take over in that time, and that Bradley could dominate in the clutch defensively. 

What I didn't expect was Green.  I can think of at least five occasions (purely off the top of my head) this season where Green has made game winning plays either on offense or on defense.  I always thought he'd be a Pau Gasol type - a nice guy who is talented but a little soft...great in the regular season, maybe fold a bit under pressure.  He has proved me wrong in a big way, and the ability to add another huge clutch performer to a team already stacked with them is the type of thing that will make this team scary come playoff time.

In 'grind it out' type atmostphere that you get in the playoffs, it's these types of players/plays that win a game and win a series. 

That Green has become this guy so soon after heart surgery is incredibly impressive, and it also goes far to show the value of Terry's and KG's intangibles (Green credits those for bringing out the 'beast' in him).

Another thing that will be huge come playoff time is that this team's bench has become everything I hoped it would be at the start of the season.  It seems our bench is outscoring the opponent bench very frequently this season (mostly thanks to Terry and Green) and that's something this Celtics team has never really had. 

The Bench's ability to maintain (and increase) leads will help Doc in getting the veterans the rest they need.

Loving this team!

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 12:55:51 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Absolutely, and this is the same character that has defined this team over the past several seasons.  Outside of 2008 there have always been teams out there with more talent, but we have always exceeded expectations becuase we have had guys with heart who come through when we need it most.

This season I always knew that KG, Pierce and Terry were going to be big time clutch players. I also knew Rondo had the ability to take over in that time, and that Bradley could dominate in the clutch defensively. 

What I didn't expect was Green.  I can think of at least five occasions (purely off the top of my head) this season where Green has made game winning plays either on offense or on defense.  I always thought he'd be a Pau Gasol type - a nice guy who is talented but a little soft...great in the regular season, maybe fold a bit under pressure.  He has proved me wrong in a big way, and the ability to add another huge clutch performer to a team already stacked with them is the type of thing that will make this team scary come playoff time.

In 'grind it out' type atmostphere that you get in the playoffs, it's these types of players/plays that win a game and win a series. 

That Green has become this guy so soon after heart surgery is incredibly impressive, and it also goes far to show the value of Terry's and KG's intangibles (Green credits those for bringing out the 'beast' in him).

Another thing that will be huge come playoff time is that this team's bench has become everything I hoped it would be at the start of the season.  It seems our bench is outscoring the opponent bench very frequently this season (mostly thanks to Terry and Green) and that's something this Celtics team has never really had. 

The Bench's ability to maintain (and increase) leads will help Doc in getting the veterans the rest they need.

Loving this team!

Great post. TP
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 01:54:22 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Loving this team!

Great post. TP

Seconded.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 07:13:21 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Loving this team!

Another thing I would add is that the Celtics have an elite defense that no one wants to play in the playoffs.  And yes that means you Melo.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 08:14:45 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I don't think that Ind and Atl are scary at all,in fact Atl is a lot less scary with JJ.

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 08:24:51 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Jeff Green is starting to do the small important efforts at the right time ,  he is starting to feel good and step into his position with this team as a go to type guy.

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 08:56:33 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

You like their chances for what, to win one playoff series?  Maybe two?