Author Topic: Can we finally give credit to Ainge for the Perkins trade?  (Read 34277 times)

Re: Can we finally give credit to Ainge for the Perkins trade?
« Reply #195 on: March 31, 2013, 11:36:45 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Yes - credit for tossing away a likely title (2011) and for struggling ever since without a center - who we have been desperately searching for since Perk was traded.

let me count the failed replacements ....... Shaq, Jermaine, Kirstic, Stiemsma, Collins, Williams, Hollins, Wilcox, Erden, Johnson, Melo. i'm sure I missed a couple, but the point is made.

You forgot Garnett.

you just made my point for me - we are so desperate for a center that we've had to move our HOF PF over to play center as a stop-gap measure. this of course has put us at a decided disadvantage at the power forward position because we are woefully undersized and underpowered - how many times do we watch Green and Bass get moved out of rebounding position because they are matched against a bigger, stronger true power forward ?

T-Lo, yes, Perk was returning from an injury, but he was getting stronger and would have been a huge upgrade over Shaq (who could barely move) and Jermaine, who was almost as bad. Perk would have been a huge asset back in his rightful place in our defense, which would have then been back in sync, playing on one extended string, each player knowing the rotations were going to right. plus, Jeff Green, was an unmitigated disaster in those playoffs.

also, without the trade, we probably end up as the #1 seed in the East, which adds even more advantages towards a title run.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #196 on: April 01, 2013, 01:52:36 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Yes - credit for tossing away a likely title (2011) and for struggling ever since without a center - who we have been desperately searching for since Perk was traded.

let me count the failed replacements ....... Shaq, Jermaine, Kirstic, Stiemsma, Collins, Williams, Hollins, Wilcox, Erden, Johnson, Melo. i'm sure I missed a couple, but the point is made.

You forgot Garnett.

you just made my point for me - we are so desperate for a center that we've had to move our HOF PF over to play center as a stop-gap measure. this of course has put us at a decided disadvantage at the power forward position because we are woefully undersized and underpowered - how many times do we watch Green and Bass get moved out of rebounding position because they are matched against a bigger, stronger true power forward ?

T-Lo, yes, Perk was returning from an injury, but he was getting stronger and would have been a huge upgrade over Shaq (who could barely move) and Jermaine, who was almost as bad. Perk would have been a huge asset back in his rightful place in our defense, which would have then been back in sync, playing on one extended string, each player knowing the rotations were going to right. plus, Jeff Green, was an unmitigated disaster in those playoffs.

also, without the trade, we probably end up as the #1 seed in the East, which adds even more advantages towards a title run.

You're conveniently forgetting that Perkins is horrible right now, and the team was playing like their old fatigued self when he came back from injury before the trade. They were actually losing the majority of games if I remember correctly.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #197 on: April 01, 2013, 04:48:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It's all Rondo's fault!   Seriously, we won out on the Perk trade.  We traded a badly damaged center for a guy who ended up being a heart patient but the heart patient guy recovered.   We won out on the deal.

Perk was not that good.  He was servicable and ate up space and we all loved his heart and attitude.   But when he left here he was shadow of his self.  I do not think he was an upgrade over Shaq when Shaq was healthy.  Perk can barely move now.

« Reply #198 on: April 01, 2013, 09:43:38 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

You're conveniently forgetting that Perkins is horrible right now, and the team was playing like their old fatigued self when he came back from injury before the trade. They were actually losing the majority of games if I remember correctly.

You're misremembering.  The Celts were 8-4 with Perk.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #199 on: April 01, 2013, 09:58:52 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
It's all Rondo's fault!   Seriously, we won out on the Perk trade.  We traded a badly damaged center for a guy who ended up being a heart patient but the heart patient guy recovered.   We won out on the deal.

Speaking of Rondo, his health issues (especially his elbow) would have prevented us from winning the title even with Perk. It's similar to the year-long argument about whether Danny ruined our chances to repeat by letting Posey walk, which was rendered moot by KG's knee. The difference is that debate pretty much ended with that season while this one doesn't seem to have an expiration date.

« Reply #200 on: April 01, 2013, 10:03:45 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Speaking of Rondo, his health issues (especially his elbow) would have prevented us from winning the title even with Perk. It's similar to the year-long argument about whether Danny ruined our chances to repeat by letting Posey walk, which was rendered moot by KG's knee. The difference is that debate pretty much ended with that season while this one doesn't seem to have an expiration date.

What are that Rondo's elbow gets injured if Perk gets traded?  With Perk in there, the team would have had different personnel, running different sets, possibly playing on a different day or in a different arena.  In this alternate universe, I doubt that Wade and Rondo ever get tangled up.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #201 on: April 01, 2013, 10:14:09 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

What are that Rondo's elbow gets injured if Perk gets traded?  With Perk in there, the team would have had different personnel, running different sets, possibly playing on a different day or in a different arena.  In this alternate universe, I doubt that Wade and Rondo ever get tangled up.

Possibly, although I still think that was a deliberate play by Wade and not really a freak accident. But Rondo was plagued by injuries for most of that season and wasn't overly healthy in the playoffs that year. He wasn't quite the same player who vanquished the Cavs the year before or took the Heat to 7 games the year after.

« Reply #202 on: April 01, 2013, 10:22:35 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

Possibly, although I still think that was a deliberate play by Wade and not really a freak accident. But Rondo was plagued by injuries for most of that season and wasn't overly healthy in the playoffs that year. He wasn't quite the same player who vanquished the Cavs the year before or took the Heat to 7 games the year after.

Eh, I don't know.  Rondo absolutely eviscerated the Knicks in the first round, practically destroying them by himself, allowing Ray and Paul to kill the NY from the outside.

He was due to have a big series against Miami, if not for Wade's dirty play.

« Reply #203 on: April 01, 2013, 01:06:47 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
didn't wade's dirty play happen in game 3 or am I wrong?

I feel like it was game 3 and at that point we were already down in the series?