Author Topic: Can we finally give credit to Ainge for the Perkins trade?  (Read 34299 times)

Re: Can we finally give credit to Ainge for the Perkins trade?
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2013, 03:41:04 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I love how the Perk haters and Ainge sycophants can't give Perkins ANY credit for OKC's rise to the top of the league.

Their arguments are so bogus that I'm tiring of responding to them.  The facts are that one person in that trade has been a key cog in the second best team in the league since the trade and another has been a hot and cold bench contributor on a barely .500 team since that trade. 

Maybe it's all a big coincidence.  Or maybe OKC was being held back by Green's lukewarm play, and Perkins' skillset (however unskilled it may be) was exactly they needed to take off).  The way I see, Perkins brought a ton of needed leadership and toughness to that team, and also allowed Ibaka to flourish because Perkins could do all the interior dirty work, allowing Ibaka to freelance. 

There's something to be said for a team having great synergy.  The Cs had that with Perkins.  Now OKC has it, while the Celtics don't.  The Celtics have been butter soft int he paint since the Perkins trade, with no solution in sight.   

« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2013, 03:46:28 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
You really think Perkins - not Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka - is responsible for OKC's "synergy?"

Wow.

Just wow.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2013, 03:49:13 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
You really think Perkins - not Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka - is responsible for OKC's "synergy?"

Wow.

Just wow.

Let's not forget the emergence of Harden.

« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2013, 03:51:17 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I love how the Perk haters and Ainge sycophants can't give Perkins ANY credit for OKC's rise to the top of the league.

Their arguments are so bogus that I'm tiring of responding to them.  The facts are that one person in that trade has been a key cog in the second best team in the league since the trade and another has been a hot and cold bench contributor on a barely .500 team since that trade. 

Maybe it's all a big coincidence.  Or maybe OKC was being held back by Green's lukewarm play, and Perkins' skillset (however unskilled it may be) was exactly they needed to take off).  The way I see, Perkins brought a ton of needed leadership and toughness to that team, and also allowed Ibaka to flourish because Perkins could do all the interior dirty work, allowing Ibaka to freelance. 

There's something to be said for a team having great synergy.  The Cs had that with Perkins.  Now OKC has it, while the Celtics don't.  The Celtics have been butter soft int he paint since the Perkins trade, with no solution in sight.   

Correlation doesn't imply causation. (as many on this board remind me.)

Perk lovers are continuing to ignore the fact that they have two absolute athletic stud scorers that we don't, as well as Ibaka's maturation into a key player.

Perk is garbage. Watch the games.

Then again, if you want to attribute OKC's success to a hobbling, slow center that gives them 4 points and 5 rebounds in 25 minutes as a starter you're more than welcome to live in denial.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2013, 04:11:21 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Perk's last game as a Celtic he got injured (left knee) and then proceeded to miss 9 straight games. OKC went 6-2 without Perk available to them with the 2 losses to LA and Memphis. 6-2 is .750 winning percentage.

With the knowledge we had about our big men's health that season and our franchise's luck with injuries....there is a huge doubt that Perk would have remained healthy and effective the rest of the way.

If we didn't make that trade when we did, we probably wouldn't have had any health big at all going into the playoffs and zero backup help for Pierce.

We most likely would have lost to the Knicks in the 1st round.

*Note: Pierce was having a career year in FG shooting efficiency until February when he struggled shooting 42% overall and 26% from 3 point land.

I really believe trading for Jeff Green allowed Paul to return to earlier season form and finish the season strong in the months of March and half of April. In the Knicks series Pierce shot 46% from the field, 50% from 3 and 94% from the line, in a 4-0 sweep of New York.

**Note: Jeff Green in the playoffs played pretty well considering his playing time. He was very efficient, but he was not receiving a lot of time.

He played virtually the same amount of minutes as Delonte West and less minutes than Glenn Davis, less minutes than Jermaine freaking O'Neal who had a broken wrist, if I recall correctly.

Against the Knicks, Green's offense was a non factor, but we swept the Knicks regardless of Green's offensive contributions or lack there of....so no harm, no foul.

Against Miami, Green shot 54% overall from the field and 60% from 3 pt land. We lost to Miami partly because Rondo got hurt and largely because Chris Bosh out played Kevin Garnett over the last 2 games of that series.

***Note: Nenad Kristic is not a great big man, he was never a great big man or awesome rebounder, but what he was, was another body we could have used. And when we traded for him, Doc was using him...some nights he was playing 25 minutes or more, some nights he was playing 30 minutes or more.

But in the playoffs, Doc decided not to play Nenad at all. 7 minutes one game, 11 minutes another, 5 minutes, DNP, DNP etc. It appeared that Doc trusted a hurt Jermaine O'Neal over a live fresh body.

Bottom line with that Celtic team, there were a lot of other factors that derailed the team from contending in the playoffs that season.

• Rondo's injury
    Shaq's failed recovery
    Doc's refusal to play Nenad
    Glenn Davis disappearing from April and all of the playoffs

« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2013, 04:16:14 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Perk's last game as a Celtic he got injured (left knee) and then proceeded to miss 9 straight games. OKC went 6-2 without Perk available to them with the 2 losses to LA and Memphis. 6-2 is .750 winning percentage.

With the knowledge we had about our big men's health that season and our franchise's luck with injuries....there is a huge doubt that Perk would have remained healthy and effective the rest of the way.

If we didn't make that trade when we did, we probably wouldn't have had any health big at all going into the playoffs and zero backup help for Pierce.

We most likely would have lost to the Knicks in the 1st round.

*Note: Pierce was having a career year in FG shooting efficiency until February when he struggled shooting 42% overall and 26% from 3 point land.

I really believe trading for Jeff Green allowed Paul to return to earlier season form and finish the season strong in the months of March and half of April. In the Knicks series Pierce shot 46% from the field, 50% from 3 and 94% from the line, in a 4-0 sweep of New York.

**Note: Jeff Green in the playoffs played pretty well considering his playing time. He was very efficient, but he was not receiving a lot of time.

He played virtually the same amount of minutes as Delonte West and less minutes than Glenn Davis, less minutes than Jermaine freaking O'Neal who had a broken wrist, if I recall correctly.

Against the Knicks, Green's offense was a non factor, but we swept the Knicks regardless of Green's offensive contributions or lack there of....so no harm, no foul.

Against Miami, Green shot 54% overall from the field and 60% from 3 pt land. We lost to Miami partly because Rondo got hurt and largely because Chris Bosh out played Kevin Garnett over the last 2 games of that series.

***Note: Nenad Kristic is not a great big man, he was never a great big man or awesome rebounder, but what he was, was another body we could have used. And when we traded for him, Doc was using him...some nights he was playing 25 minutes or more, some nights he was playing 30 minutes or more.

But in the playoffs, Doc decided not to play Nenad at all. 7 minutes one game, 11 minutes another, 5 minutes, DNP, DNP etc. It appeared that Doc trusted a hurt Jermaine O'Neal over a live fresh body.

Bottom line with that Celtic team, there were a lot of other factors that derailed the team from contending in the playoffs that season.

• Rondo's injury
    Shaq's failed recovery
    Doc's refusal to play Nenad
    Glenn Davis disappearing from April and all of the playoffs

I thought Davis got hurt himself too at some point after the trade. And I recall Nenad working on some injury as we were leading up to the playoffs. Still, despite the reputation as a weak rebounder, Nenad actually was rebounding the ball quite well for us, particularly on the offensive glass. He was also doing some good work offensively around the basket, converting easy buckets.

And don't discount the defensive work Green put on Melo, which helped tremendously to contain the Knicks.

« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2013, 04:28:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Perk is garbage.

Garbage that ranks 26th in the entire league in opponents' points allowed per possession.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2013, 04:56:08 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
I have Ainge credit the day he made the trade

« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2013, 05:04:22 PM »

Offline Induna

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Anyone who thinks Perkins for Green is not a steal has very little understanding of basketball. While Perkins fills a need he is only valuable with talent around him. Green is talent you can put Perkins type role players around.

« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2013, 05:08:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Anyone who thinks Perkins for Green is not a steal has very little understanding of basketball.

Anyone who thinks this is a persuasive argument has very little understanding of how to present their ideas logically.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2013, 05:17:18 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Anyone who thinks Perkins for Green is not a steal has very little understanding of basketball. While Perkins fills a need he is only valuable with talent around him. Green is talent you can put Perkins type role players around.

Green has always had the potential to be talent you can put Perkins type role players around.

« Reply #131 on: February 24, 2013, 05:24:49 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
I wasn't sure either way when the deal went down but the only title we missed when Perk was gone was 2010 in LA. Wasn't going to happen 2011 (Could Perk win us three games in a best of 7?)

Danny clearly had an eye on the future. At the time he had to consider what PP would do and how he wanted to see this team build going forward. Thinking Rondo's development in the prior 2-3 years had an influence on the trade.

If you're playing Miami, do you want someone who will take fouls (from someone else) in the paint leading to 50 FT's attempts or an athletic wing who has a shot of shutting down Lebron/Wade before they start a shot, not to mention can make up for whatever additional defense Perk brought on the offensive end.

I'm sure you can ask OKC how things with Perk are going.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2013, 05:42:32 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
It was a hard trade to swallow at the time, but one that I thought would be good for the long term -- not the short term. I think that is going to be the case. Sure, give him credit.

On another note, let's demolish the Blazers tonight and keep gelling as a young, athletic and crafty team. I'm liking this new look squad.

« Reply #133 on: February 24, 2013, 06:05:22 PM »

Offline Induna

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Anyone who thinks Perkins for Green is not a steal has very little understanding of basketball.

Anyone who thinks this is a persuasive argument has very little understanding of how to present their ideas logically.

do tell how does one present one's ideas (or perhaps argument) Logically and while you doing that it would be good if you explained how the logical presentation of an idea is diminished by my presentation. You may disagree and that's cool but logical presentation?? that makes no sense at all.

« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2013, 06:06:33 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

I lol'd. xD
But Green is much better than Perk in basketball standards now, and in three years.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"