Author Topic: Can we finally give credit to Ainge for the Perkins trade?  (Read 34286 times)

Re: Can we finally give credit to Ainge for the Perkins trade?
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 08:05:58 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Thought it was a good trade back then, nothing has changed in my mind, other than as time goes by the trade looks better and better to me.

Agree.

Two words: progression (Jeff) and regression (Perk).

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 08:09:06 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I loved Perkins - one of my all-time favorite Celts -

But I liked the trade then and I like it just as much now.

We got Green and Sully out of that didn't we? Didn't we get the Clipper's first round pick?

I think Ainge knew he wasn't going to be able to re-sign Perk for what his asking price so he got what he could.

Get Jeff Green in a true uptempo team game and he will look better and better.

If he can turn into a stud defender and a 15 point 6 rebound small forward at 35 minutes per game once he's starting we're all going to be very happy.

I don't think he'll ever be a 1st or 2nd option but he could end up being an excellent 3rd option on a championship team.   

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 08:13:52 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Nope.

Ainge still traded away someone who should have been the starting C of the playoff team that season for a back up SF who is still the backup SF. 

The Celtics have been playing undersized ever since.  Even if the Celtics move Perk that offseason, a backup SF is still a terrible return. 

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 08:36:46 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Boston, thinking Perk wasn't worth $40 million instead decides to give that very same contract to Jeff Green after he took a year off of competitive basketball to have open heart surgery. Strange the way those two franchises took a look at those players and those contracts and think so differently about them.
Yes, that's because Jeff Green will be a considerably better player over the course of the next 4 years than Kendrick Perkins will be. And it's not even close, really.

It's not Jeff Green's fault that he's playing behind our second-best player.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 08:37:47 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Nope.

Ainge still traded away someone who should have been the starting C of the playoff team that season for a back up SF who is still the backup SF. 

The Celtics have been playing undersized ever since.  Even if the Celtics move Perk that offseason, a backup SF is still a terrible return.

In no way should Perkins be a starting center for anyone. The thunder continuing to start him despite his pathetic all round play baffles me. He has no passing game out of the horns set (which is the only play they actually let him touch the ball), he has no shooting, cannot finish around the rim, can't defend anyone except for centers that are slower or more inept offensively than he is, and he is literally a snail on the court. He was not the difference for the thunder and he sure as heck wouldn't have been for us.

Jeff green IS good enough to start for a lot of teams. He is backing up one of the all time greats though.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 08:52:05 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Nope.

In no way should Perkins be a starting center for anyone. The thunder continuing to start him despite his pathetic all round play baffles me. He has no passing game out of the horns set (which is the only play they actually let him touch the ball), he has no shooting, cannot finish around the rim, can't defend anyone except for centers that are slower or more inept offensively than he is, and he is literally a snail on the court. He was not the difference for the thunder and he sure as heck wouldn't have been for us.

Jeff green IS good enough to start for a lot of teams. He is backing up one of the all time greats though.

Perk starts because they have been a better team since the trade.

Green is good enough to start on another team.  But the Celtics did not need a starting SF off the bench.  They needed a solid player to play 15 minutes a night to give Pierce a break. 

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2013, 08:54:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Nope.

Green is good enough to start on another team.  But the Celtics did not need a starting SF off the bench.  They needed a solid player to play 15 minutes a night to give Pierce a break.
Right, because Pierce is going to play forever, and Green can't play a different position at all.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2013, 09:03:52 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Nope.

Right, because Pierce is going to play forever, and Green can't play a different position at all.

And it is so hard to get a SF in the NBA that the Celtics had to do it 4, 5 seasons before Pierce is gone. 

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2013, 09:04:02 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Perk played exactly 12 games before being traded and scored 82 points for the Celtics that season.  I think it is a severe stretch to say that it is clear or obvious that he was going to carry us to a championship.

We played great the whole time he was injured.  We played great because of Shaq.  Shaq got hurt and Perk got traded about the same time.  We received great value for Perk.  He barely did anything for OK after being traded.  How is it that he was going to carry us to a championship?

I just don't get it.

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2013, 09:26:11 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
As good as Green has been playing lately, I am still not ready to say that the Perk trade was a smart one.

It wasn't even so much that it was a bad trade on paper as much as it was done at the wrong time.

If I remember correctly, that season the Celtics were playing really well and had just gotten Perk back a few weeks prior.

They were a juggernaut in the East and had already beaten Miami 3 times in the regular season.

Regardless of how long Perk was out at that season, it was still the wrong trade at the wrong time.

Having said that, do I think having Perk would've led the Celts to a title that year? Probably not, however that's never a question that a fan or more importantly a GM should ever be asking himself.

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2013, 09:34:26 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
If Danny was intent on trading Perk, he should have waited until the off-season.  Not only did the trade kill any chance we had at a title, but it's likely that we could have gotten somebody better than Green had we waited and moved Perk for a trade exception.  For instance, David West would have been a possibility, and he would have positioned the team better over the last two seasons.

I appreciate the view that Jeff Green is a star and has "ridiculous upside", but I'm not sure that it's accurate.

Hindsight.

No way Ainge gets the return he got at the time in the summer. He would have had no leverage because everyone would know he wasn't committed to Perk.

Very unlikely we dump Robinson's contract. No way we get the Clipper's pick which at the time was the gem of the trade. It looked like a potential lottery pick. Can't foresee "basketball reasons" sending CP3 to the Clippers.

At the time we had two O'Neals along with Krstic (he thought they would be able to give about 30-35 minutes between them with KG and Baby taking the rest) and no backup wing. We were expecting Pierce to go through Melo, Lebron, and then potentially be defended by Artest all by himself?

It had the potential to be a great trade all things considered. Why would he think a hobbled Perk on two bad knees would be better then Krstic and Green?
Strange...OKC didn't think Green was worth a $40 million contract so traded him to the Celtics who didn't think Perk was worth a $40 million contract for Perk. Perk got his money from OKC and has struggled but provided what Perk provides(toughness, leadership, defense, a proven warrior). Boston, thinking Perk wasn't worth $40 million instead decides to give that very same contract to Jeff Green after he took a year off of competitive basketball to have open heart surgery. Strange the way those two franchises took a look at those players and those contracts and think so differently about them.

Funny because all I've heard from any OKC fan with a voice or a keyboard has been they wanted to use the amnesty clause on Perkins, the team is better with him on the bench, and his best asset is how he's a hard worker.

Sorry, Perkins being a hard worker would not have gotten us any closer to a championship that year or last year.

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2013, 09:38:15 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
If Danny was intent on trading Perk, he should have waited until the off-season.  Not only did the trade kill any chance we had at a title, but it's likely that we could have gotten somebody better than Green had we waited and moved Perk for a trade exception.  For instance, David West would have been a possibility, and he would have positioned the team better over the last two seasons.

I appreciate the view that Jeff Green is a star and has "ridiculous upside", but I'm not sure that it's accurate.

Hindsight.

No way Ainge gets the return he got at the time in the summer. He would have had no leverage because everyone would know he wasn't committed to Perk.

Very unlikely we dump Robinson's contract. No way we get the Clipper's pick which at the time was the gem of the trade. It looked like a potential lottery pick. Can't foresee "basketball reasons" sending CP3 to the Clippers.

At the time we had two O'Neals along with Krstic (he thought they would be able to give about 30-35 minutes between them with KG and Baby taking the rest) and no backup wing. We were expecting Pierce to go through Melo, Lebron, and then potentially be defended by Artest all by himself?

It had the potential to be a great trade all things considered. Why would he think a hobbled Perk on two bad knees would be better then Krstic and Green?
Strange...OKC didn't think Green was worth a $40 million contract so traded him to the Celtics who didn't think Perk was worth a $40 million contract for Perk. Perk got his money from OKC and has struggled but provided what Perk provides(toughness, leadership, defense, a proven warrior). Boston, thinking Perk wasn't worth $40 million instead decides to give that very same contract to Jeff Green after he took a year off of competitive basketball to have open heart surgery. Strange the way those two franchises took a look at those players and those contracts and think so differently about them.

Funny because all I've heard from any OKC fan with a voice or a keyboard has been they wanted to use the amnesty clause on Perkins, the team is better with him on the bench, and his best asset is how he's a hard worker.

Sorry, Perkins being a hard worker would not have gotten us any closer to a championship that year or last year.

Yup sorry but it would've....got okc closer too

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2013, 09:39:57 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford

And it is so hard to get a SF in the NBA that the Celtics had to do it 4, 5 seasons before Pierce is gone.

Seriously?

Perkins was going to walk in free agency.
We desperately needed a backup SF
We had played well without Perkins the entire season

Ainge got a sixth man of the year calibre player at that time with the upside to be an elite player at a position of need for a backup center who we had played very well without the entire season.

You people are absolutely ridiculous and will complain about anything you can.  I'm sure if we go on a dynasty run and win 3 straight championships with Green averaging 40 PPG you'd still bemoan how that 2010 title got away because you think Perkins would have suddenly turned into Dwight Howard in the playoffs instead of 2012 Jason Collins which is what he was.

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2013, 09:40:55 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Perk played exactly 12 games before being traded and scored 82 points for the Celtics that season.  I think it is a severe stretch to say that it is clear or obvious that he was going to carry us to a championship.

We played great the whole time he was injured.  We played great because of Shaq.  Shaq got hurt and Perk got traded about the same time.  We received great value for Perk.  He barely did anything for OK after being traded.  How is it that he was going to carry us to a championship?

I just don't get it.
Here's the thing
No one said perk would have carried us to a championship...but if you couldn't see that it ruined that teams spirit dramatically then I'm not sure what you were watching...

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2013, 09:42:11 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford

Hindsight.

Yup sorry but it would've....got okc closer too

Are you freaking kidding me?

Perkins had absolutely nothing to do with the Thunders success.  My whole point was how the past two years Thunder fans have wanted Perkins cut because he was a hinderance to the team.  They won IN SPITE of him.