Author Topic: Can we finally give credit to Ainge for the Perkins trade?  (Read 34149 times)

Can we finally give credit to Ainge for the Perkins trade?
« on: February 08, 2013, 04:04:46 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
We all love Perk.  But in spite of his close friendship with Rondo, he was a massive hinderance to Rondo's game was going to cost WAY more than his actual value.  Again, Ainge did try to extend him for fair value but the gross overpricing of Perkins forced Ainge to make a trade.

While in hindsight getting Harden would clearly have been better, Green has displayed the past month or two that he is a fringe star player- something Perkins never has and never will be.  He has displayed a TON of potential lately.

-Three point range
-Fantastic length and athleticism for dunks and layups
-Good to great game speed and the ability to run in transition
-A modest post game
-The ability to create his own shot and have an offense run through him
-Decent passing ability
-Elite defense

Lets not kid ourselves.  Perkins would not have been a difference maker in that Miami series, and he would not have gotten us a higher seed to have homecourt vs Miami that year.  The problem against Miami was we couldn't score.  Last I checked Perkins was never a light-it-up type scorer.

Another thing that is huge is the repercussions of not splurging on Kendricks in a short sighted manner is this season.  With Perkins on the books with Rondo and our team in a downswing the past couple years and limited financial latitude, who  knows if KG and Pierce even return this season? 

Green has been years more valuable than Perkins this season and the disparity will only continue to grow as Green taps into his ridiculous upside while Perkins continues to regress due to his knees falling apart and his lack of offensive game.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 02:13:10 AM by tonyto3690 »

Re: Can we finally give credit to Ainge for the Perkins trade?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 04:10:20 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If Danny was intent on trading Perk, he should have waited until the off-season.  Not only did the trade kill any chance we had at a title, but it's likely that we could have gotten somebody better than Green had we waited and moved Perk for a trade exception.  For instance, David West would have been a possibility, and he would have positioned the team better over the last two seasons.

I appreciate the view that Jeff Green is a star and has "ridiculous upside", but I'm not sure that it's accurate.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 04:19:51 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
If Danny was intent on trading Perk, he should have waited until the off-season.  Not only did the trade kill any chance we had at a title, but it's likely that we could have gotten somebody better than Green had we waited and moved Perk for a trade exception.  For instance, David West would have been a possibility, and he would have positioned the team better over the last two seasons.

I appreciate the view that Jeff Green is a star and has "ridiculous upside", but I'm not sure that it's accurate.

I agree with this. It's easy to brush aside now, but I feel we had a legit shot at a title that year. And the Green trade seemed to kill it.

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 04:22:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
yup. I wasn't a fan of the trade from day 1 but right now we have the adv. Its not by alot though bc Green and Durant played the same position and it was better for okc to get vet presence and a centre. Perk doesn't fill the stats but does so many other things to help a team win

It worked out for both teams

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 04:24:35 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Well. You know what I'd say. Wait till Green is a major part of a championship. Till then he gets none at all

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 04:45:38 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Ill give him credit the day green is a big part of a celtics championship.

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 04:51:35 PM »

Offline frosty33

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
no, we still need a big man till this day

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 04:51:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I still say if left alone, that team would have won the title. Maybe getting rid of Robinson still would have needed to happen but Perkins being here means there was a golden opportunity to go for the title one more time with that group. Unless Green is a part, an important part of a championship team, I still say it was a bad trade.

Besides, I am still only seeing the same old Jeff Green. He's on another of his 5 game "good Jeff Green" streaks before disappearing again as the "not showing up tonight Jeff Green"(Can't even call him "bad Jeff Green" as he doesn't play bad, he just doesn't show up.

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 04:52:19 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
The trade hurt at the time and hurt the team's chances that season, but it was a long term move and now it is beginning to pay off.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 04:56:04 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
We put Green on Kobe for defensive purposes yesterday. I know Kobe's not what he used to be, but the fact that Green can play three positions defensively is pretty ridiculous. I'm quietly encouraged about the kid.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 04:56:27 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Perk was a KG-Doc made, in other words, a lot of his credit for his game was really those two...
I was shocked by the trade, and maybe it wasn't an instant great move, but boy did we save 62 mil $$$
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 04:58:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The trade hurt at the time and hurt the team's chances that season, but it was a long term move and now it is beginning to pay off.
Is it really paying off? How? Are we any closer right now to winning a championship than we were the day Perk got traded?

I don't think we are. As a matter of fact, I think we are further away from winning a title now than we were when Perk got traded. And in two years all I have seen is a regression or stagnation in Jeff's game.

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 05:00:46 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Is it really paying off? How? Are we any closer right now to winning a championship than we were the day Perk got traded?

I don't think we are. As a matter of fact, I think we are further away from winning a title now than we were when Perk got traded. And in two years all I have seen is a regression or stagnation in Jeff's game.
You'll have a really hard time convincing anyone that the difference between what happened that season and championship was having good ole Perk hopping around on one leg.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 05:05:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I thought it was a great trade at the time, because I thought Ainge had some inside info on Shaq and I was under the assumption Shaq's injuries werent as bad as we thought.   I figured there's no way you pull the trigger on that deal unless you KNOW Shaq is going to return.

For what it's worth, Shaq did end up returning... for about 12 minutes.  He looked great.  Then hobbled off the court never to return.

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 05:10:28 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Nope...no way...horrible trade for 2 years could've gotten Jeff green in free agency