Author Topic: Can we finally give credit to Ainge for the Perkins trade?  (Read 34401 times)

Re: Can we finally give credit to Ainge for the Perkins trade?
« Reply #165 on: March 08, 2013, 11:32:05 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
One other point to make that I'm surprised no one has brought up.

No 1, I wouldn't have traded Perk. However, if Ainge was adamant about trading him (which it looks like he was) then I would've dealt Perk to Houston for Shane Battier.

Remember, Battier was on the trading block during this time and got moved to Memphis a day before the Perk/Green deal.

If Ainge truly felt we needed another wing instead of keeping our starting center, I think Battier would've contributed alot more for that season (and man he's killing it for Miami off the bench.)

As talented as Green is/was, he's too young a player to have contributed to a veteran team in such a quick amount of time.

« Reply #166 on: March 08, 2013, 12:05:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
One other point to make that I'm surprised no one has brought up.

No 1, I wouldn't have traded Perk. However, if Ainge was adamant about trading him (which it looks like he was) then I would've dealt Perk to Houston for Shane Battier.

Remember, Battier was on the trading block during this time and got moved to Memphis a day before the Perk/Green deal.

If Ainge truly felt we needed another wing instead of keeping our starting center, I think Battier would've contributed alot more for that season (and man he's killing it for Miami off the bench.)

As talented as Green is/was, he's too young a player to have contributed to a veteran team in such a quick amount of time.
I don't think that at this point Ainge (or anyone else for that matter) expected that Garnett and Pierce would be able to play so long at such a high level. At least part of the idea was to work towards building a glut of core players that would have a similar career spans to Rondo.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #167 on: March 08, 2013, 12:10:51 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Battier was an obvious rental, so Perk would have been too much.  The trade for Green was a move made with the future beyond that season in mind, since Ainge seemed to feel pretty clearly that Perkins would leave in free agency.

So, imagine that the league doesn't void the trade of Chris Paul to the Lakers and the Clippers pick ends up being 11th (and it was top-ten protected, I believe).  The next few players drafted who were available at that point are Meyers Leonard, Jeremy Lamb, Kendall Marshall, John Henson, and Marice Harkness.  Now imagine that the Celtics could have used their own first pick to move up (so no Sullinger).  The players drafted in those slots were Austin Rivers (ugh) and Andre Drummond (not ugh).
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #168 on: March 19, 2013, 02:12:10 AM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
Bumping this.

« Reply #169 on: March 19, 2013, 02:18:17 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Still too early. We knew he was capable of this... what next?

We have all slept with a woman we felt, at the time, was out of our league. But how many times will (or did, for you older gentlemen) it happen over the course of our lives!?

(perhaps for another thread, but actually interested to hear from the older gentlemen on this one, lol)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #170 on: March 19, 2013, 02:30:47 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
people want Green to dominate every single night and that's just silly... his per minute numbers are as good as they ever were in OKC.  He's a fantastic player.  Perk is pretty overpaid for what he provides.  It would have been a perfect trade had Shaq stayed healthy or if we had replaced Perk with a serviceable center.

« Reply #171 on: March 19, 2013, 02:35:39 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
green's defense is elite, and now he shows he can be an elite force on offense.

« Reply #172 on: March 19, 2013, 02:50:57 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
people want Green to dominate every single night and that's just silly... his per minute numbers are as good as they ever were in OKC.  He's a fantastic player.  Perk is pretty overpaid for what he provides.  It would have been a perfect trade had Shaq stayed healthy or if we had replaced Perk with a serviceable center.

Respectfully disagree. Fans want to see Green play to his potential... not produce numbers acceptable according to his salary. If he can dominate against the best team in the league, he can dominate often... if he doesn't, he's not performing. In my field, if I don't perform to my potential, I'm screwed... so why is he off the hook?

(This implies he has not performed to his potential at this point, which would be tough to argue from your perspective, don't you think?)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #173 on: March 19, 2013, 05:07:43 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Respectfully disagree. Fans want to see Green play to his potential... not produce numbers acceptable according to his salary. If he can dominate against the best team in the league, he can dominate often... if he doesn't, he's not performing. In my field, if I don't perform to my potential, I'm screwed... so why is he off the hook?

(This implies he has not performed to his potential at this point, which would be tough to argue from your perspective, don't you think?)

You're completely focusing on Green's potential to perform and neglecting how the opponent defends and performs against him. It's a fairly Skip Bayless-esque view to take. NBA basketball isn't simply: "this guy is really physically gifted and talented so he should be dropping 30 every night". It is a two-team game that is heavily dependent on how BOTH teams perform. Unless you have a supremely talented superstar player that gets the keys of the offense given to them, you can't expect numbers like that every night. Green isn't one of those guys. He has flaws and he certainly isn't given the keys to the offense and doesn't have 2 or 3 picks set for him every play.

The guy is coming back off heart surgery. He is not 100% fit. And we didn't pay him an ubermax deal. Don't have ubermax expectations and enjoy the ride.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #174 on: March 19, 2013, 08:51:56 AM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Giving Perking for Green was not a good move in my opinion. Cs lost a big guy, and this problem is still very evident now.

« Reply #175 on: March 19, 2013, 09:46:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
one game does not an elite force make.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #176 on: March 19, 2013, 09:53:53 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Unless you think we would have won the championship with perk in '11 I don't see how you can adamantly still be against this trade. It would at the very least be even.

« Reply #177 on: March 19, 2013, 10:14:14 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Good post.

Some here will never admit the deal was a heist. We had to wait, but Perkins is a wildly overpaid, underperforming amnesty candidate and Green is clearly, unquestionably on the upswing after recovering from heart surgery.

LOL at Sam Presti. Ainge pantsed him, and now we have a key piece at a reasonable price for the post-Big 3 transition.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #178 on: March 19, 2013, 10:19:08 AM »

Offline thenotoriousjts

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 14
Can we start winning first?
Feel free to check me out here: https://hardwoodhoudini.com/author/jstevens3/ or here https://hashtagbasketball.com/author/jeremy-stevens

Can't we just bring Gerald Green back?

« Reply #179 on: March 19, 2013, 10:21:03 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
one game does not an elite force make.

His D has been very good all along, though.