Author Topic: The perimeter defense of Lee and Bradley and trade rumors  (Read 3877 times)

Re: The perimeter defense of Lee and Bradley and trade rumors
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 06:51:20 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I think getting rid of Lee is a bad idea. Only one of the starting guards that's consistent. So who do you make a starter? Jet who loves the bench? Or Barbosa who's just as streaky as AB?

I like the idea of the big. Just not at the expense of Lee.

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 07:25:40 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
with Rondo injured, trading one of our guards isnt much of an option IMO.

I would rather trade brandon bass....start Wilcox with KG with someone like Dalembert to come off the bench

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 07:43:47 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
I appreciate their effort, but how exactly can we land a rotation caliber big man without giving away anything but trash?

Since we aren't winning it this season, there is no need to rush for a big man trade, though. The only thing I can see is KG being moved (for that Clippers trade or something like that) and us getting some pieces for the future.

We could trade Rondo or Sullinger, or them both. I suspect that the two of them would fetch a pretty good big man in return, for the "last run."

I could see Utah being interested, for example, in Rondo/Sully for Al Jefferson. Utah gets a top PG at a very reasonable salary and a decent prospect, in return for someone they probably won't be able/willing to re-sign this summer anyway.

Utah can afford to be patient this year, since they are waiting for Favors and Kanter to develop anyhow.

Why do we get someone Utah is looking forward to dump for two players? Besides, the addition of Jefferson doesn't make our team any better than it currently is.

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 10:35:10 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I appreciate their effort, but how exactly can we land a rotation caliber big man without giving away anything but trash?

Since we aren't winning it this season, there is no need to rush for a big man trade, though. The only thing I can see is KG being moved (for that Clippers trade or something like that) and us getting some pieces for the future.

We could trade Rondo or Sullinger, or them both. I suspect that the two of them would fetch a pretty good big man in return, for the "last run."

I could see Utah being interested, for example, in Rondo/Sully for Al Jefferson. Utah gets a top PG at a very reasonable salary and a decent prospect, in return for someone they probably won't be able/willing to re-sign this summer anyway.

Utah can afford to be patient this year, since they are waiting for Favors and Kanter to develop anyhow.

Why do we get someone Utah is looking forward to dump for two players? Besides, the addition of Jefferson doesn't make our team any better than it currently is.

You don't think that acquiring a legitimate 20/10 guy and one of the best low-post scorers in the league makes us better? Explain.

Just to be clear, I am talking about this year. Rondo and Sullinger aren't going to play a single minute for us.

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 10:40:59 AM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Lets see the info for future replacements:

Rondo replaces himself(not going so good, his team looks better without him...)
Lee+Bradley replaces Ray Allen(going good, but ppl want to trade them...)
Green replaces Pierce(going inconsistently good)
Sully replaces KG (not going so good, injury bug for the rest of Sully's career as he is flagged)
Melo??? replaces Perkins (we should have kept Big Baby, he could've been so useful right now...)

Keep these players and just add on (like trade pieces surrounding Bass and Terry)
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 10:41:40 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

You don't think that acquiring a legitimate 20/10 guy and one of the best low-post scorers in the league makes us better? Explain.

Just to be clear, I am talking about this year. Rondo and Sullinger aren't going to play a single minute for us.

Why on god's green earth to we trade our stud PG and a great rookie prospect when the jazz have been thinking hard about a package around thiago splitter from the spurs?

Jefferson would not be a 20/10 guy for us and you're grossly overrating his value considering he can't defend the shoes he's standing in.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 10:44:13 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Jefferson is a solid big, not worth a star and a future star
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 11:04:31 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

Why on god's green earth to we trade our stud PG and a great rookie prospect when the jazz have been thinking hard about a package around thiago splitter from the spurs?

Jefferson would not be a 20/10 guy for us and you're grossly overrating his value considering he can't defend the shoes he's standing in.

I'm not sure you understand my point.

I'm trying to think of the best way for us to acquire a high-quality big man to help with the playoff run THIS YEAR.

Giving up two guys who will not play a minute for us is one way to do that. In this suggestion I'm not considering the future at all - it is the ultimate "one last run" strategy.

And I totally agree about Al's defense, but if you can name a better big man we could acquire for Rondo and Sullinger, I'm all ears. I think Josh Smith might be another possibility, but he isn't markedly better than Jefferson in my mind, particularly given our need for post offense.

Also, let's not over-rate Sully right now. He just had season-ending surgery for the very problem that caused him to slip so dramatically in the draft. As we've seen with Dwight Howard, it is a very real possibility that Sully does not come back at the same level, next year or maybe ever.

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 11:15:59 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

Who is a star and a future star?

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 11:23:46 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

Everyone on the Celtics roster is either a star or a future star.

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 11:30:21 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Oh boy, there's two of them..........

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 11:35:36 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

Yes, but only one of us was being serious.

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 11:37:06 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Yes, but only one of us was being serious.

Oh thank god man. I'm sorry, you had me scared for a moment.

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 11:41:26 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I suspect that acquiring Al Jefferson might set the defense back to the level it was at the start of the season when he is in the game.  And it would probably take him longer to figure things out, if he ever would, than it has the new players on the roster this season.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 11:48:03 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

I suspect that acquiring Al Jefferson might set the defense back to the level it was at the start of the season when he is in the game.  And it would probably take him longer to figure things out, if he ever would, than it has the new players on the roster this season.

I don't disagree that he'd hurt our defense, but I still think we'd be a better team with him playing all the minutes that Wilcox and Collins play now, and maybe 5 of Bass' minutes.

We could always sub offense/defense in late game situations. We do that now with Bradley and Terry.