Author Topic: The perimeter defense of Lee and Bradley and trade rumors  (Read 3876 times)

The perimeter defense of Lee and Bradley and trade rumors
« on: February 08, 2013, 03:51:22 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
Has been massive for us.

Before Bradley came back I posted a thread talking about how Bradleys return would create a massive seasonal shift because with our perimeter defense solidified, our bigs wouldn't have to rotate as much and our defense would come back to form.  Alas, we saw that for stretches but Rondo wasn't able to keep up and along with our offensive inconsistencies; after a brief surge we came back to earth.

Now with Lee paired with Bradley we're seeing a full court press from those two the entire game they are in.  Our defense needs only defend for 10 seconds instead of 20 and we aren't seeing nearly as many easy layups due to Rondo letting his guy blow by him in an effort to get a steal.   This is giving KG fresher legs to post up on offense and our defense has been the best in the NBA with some completely absurd efficiency numbers when Lee/Bradley are on the court.

I say this to lead into how recently I've been hearing rumors and suggestion we trade Lee or Bradley for a big.

NO

While I agree we need a big, we would be making a lateral move and sacrificing terrific perimeter defense for an assumedly mediocre big with little upside.    Stay the course with these two.  Their defense is way too valuable to trade away.

Re: The perimeter defense of Lee and Bradley and trade rumors
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 03:53:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I agree with you that Lee and Bradley are both integral to the success of this team in the short term.

That's not the only reason not to trade Lee, though.  Lee is a very good value on his current contract, early-season struggles aside.  We have him locked up for the next few seasons.  Why give him up just to get another role player at PF? 

At best, that's a "win now" move -- which is not the kind of move this team should make, winning streak or not.

Unless we're getting a long term fixture in the frontcourt in return -- e.g. a Marcin Gortat type -- I don't see the point of trading Lee this season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 03:56:44 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
I appreciate their effort, but how exactly can we land a rotation caliber big man without giving away anything but trash?

Since we aren't winning it this season, there is no need to rush for a big man trade, though. The only thing I can see is KG being moved (for that Clippers trade or something like that) and us getting some pieces for the future.

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 04:01:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I appreciate their effort, but how exactly can we land a rotation caliber big man without giving away anything but trash?

Since we aren't winning it this season, there is no need to rush for a big man trade, though. The only thing I can see is KG being moved (for that Clippers trade or something like that) and us getting some pieces for the future.

I don't think there's a way we get a valuable big man this season without giving up one of our key younger players.

That's why, like you say, it doesn't make sense to rush to do that this season UNLESS Danny gets a couple of great offers for Pierce and Garnett.  Then we can go into all-out fire sale mode.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 04:06:57 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Gamble on a player who is not a sure thing.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 04:07:48 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford

That's exactly why I don't expect Ainge to make any trades before the deadline.  The only way we trade our young talent is if Doc gets blown away by offers for both KG and Pierce and we have the opportunity to land a superstar.  That is NOT going to happen.

Stand put and take your chances with the current group.   Maintain flexibility going forward along with developing our young talent and take a (pretty realistic) shot at beating Miami in a 7 game series.

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 04:09:58 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford

Who though?  The only person that comes to mind is Howard and he'd take way more than Lee to grab him.  That value would be horrendous for us.  No way should we do that trade.

Any trade we make that is something short of a superstar in return will be a lateral move that will make us old and handicap our future flexibility and slow down the inevitable rebuilding process with young talent.

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 04:16:51 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

I say this to lead into how recently I've been hearing rumors and suggestion we trade Lee or Bradley for a big.

NO

While I agree we need a big, we would be making a lateral move and sacrificing terrific perimeter defense for an assumedly mediocre big with little upside.    Stay the course with these two.  Their defense is way too valuable to trade away.

The only trade to make is one that either brings in a player that dramatically increases the chance of winning this year OR players and picks that jumpstart the inevitable rebuilding process.  I can't imagine any deal involving Lee or Bradley that fits those requirements.

Mike

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 04:25:37 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Who though?  The only person that comes to mind is Howard and he'd take way more than Lee to grab him.  That value would be horrendous for us.  No way should we do that trade.

I like the idea of snapping up either Brian Butch or Henry Sims from the D-League.  Butch would probably be the better option if you want to improve the team for this season.  Sims is the kind of guy who might have long-term potential like Greg Smith did when the Rockets plucked him from the D-League last season.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 04:36:47 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
We're not going to get a serviceable big with only trading our trash. Either way we more than likely won't have enough to get over the top. This season is really annoying me. I feel like we're stuck in the middle right now.

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 06:19:38 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

That's exactly why I don't expect Ainge to make any trades before the deadline.  The only way we trade our young talent is if Doc gets blown away by offers for both KG and Pierce and we have the opportunity to land a superstar.  That is NOT going to happen.

Stand put and take your chances with the current group.   Maintain flexibility going forward along with developing our young talent and take a (pretty realistic) shot at beating Miami in a 7 game series.

For real? You are very optimistic person. I'm willing to put very large amounts of $ on that beat. But I'd love to see it. ;)

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 06:26:34 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
no reason to trade guys who share to ball and enjoy a team effort

Like AB and  Lee ..they are not  problem.........

Energy is good...standing around stalling she offense sucks and killing the team flow describes Mr Rondo.........there is your trade......make it happenmDA

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 06:29:20 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

We could trade Rondo or Sullinger, or them both. I suspect that the two of them would fetch a pretty good big man in return, for the "last run."

I could see Utah being interested, for example, in Rondo/Sully for Al Jefferson. Utah gets a top PG at a very reasonable salary and a decent prospect, in return for someone they probably won't be able/willing to re-sign this summer anyway.

Utah can afford to be patient this year, since they are waiting for Favors and Kanter to develop anyhow.

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 06:40:35 PM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Maybe something like this is on Dannys mind.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 06:43:16 PM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41