Author Topic: Rondo should request a trade  (Read 5118 times)

Re: Rondo should request a trade
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2013, 05:17:04 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Part of me wants the Celtics to go on a 5-game losing streak to end this absurd talk.  Most of me wants the Celtics to just keep playing well, with or without Rondo, and just stop reading these forums.

It's all about the C's for me. The only time I've ever wanted them to lose is when we were tanking for Duncan and then later for Oden/Durant. But the want them to lose because one player is getting criticized makes me wonder if you're a Rondo fan more than a C's fan.

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2013, 05:31:44 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Is there a player on the team that some fans haven't wanted to trade?

Some fans want Rondo gone.  Some want KG and Pierce shipped out.  Others want to see Doc fired, or Danny fired.  Heck,.

Does this team really need Rondo? Objective opinion not nostalgic opinion...

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2013, 05:33:10 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
The only thing Rajon Rondo should do is rest his knee and think about next season with Paul, KG, Bass, Lee, Jet, Green, Wilcox, AB, healthy Jared and Co.

He should also NOT take this Celtics' Win Streak any other way than the fact that BOS has FINALLY caught Lightning in a bottle and everything is clicking for them.

We'd STILL be winning by now even IF Rondo was here...there is NO way that this team is better WITHOUT him.

Count me among those who believe that we CAN still do somethings this post-season, but our opportunity is ever so slim and margin of error is basically gone without Rondo on the floor for us.

But yeah - that's all Rondo SHOULD be doing for BOS right now...just getting ready for next season in Green.

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2013, 05:34:23 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Part of me wants the Celtics to go on a 5-game losing streak to end this absurd talk.  Most of me wants the Celtics to just keep playing well, with or without Rondo, and just stop reading these forums.

It's all about the C's for me. The only time I've ever wanted them to lose is when we were tanking for Duncan and then later for Oden/Durant. But the want them to lose because one player is getting criticized makes me wonder if you're a Rondo fan more than a C's fan.

He's not talking about being a fan of Rondo vs being a fan of the C's.

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2013, 05:40:12 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

He's not talking about being a fan of Rondo vs being a fan of the C's.

Indirectly, yes.

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2013, 05:40:32 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
I agree.

Now this team has gelled without him...but that doesn't mean anything about Ray being right etc...rondo actually was wanting Avery to start.

Doesn't mean he's been some kind of hindrance all along..quite the opposite actually.

This team has no pressure, no expectations since his injury and are even now being coached better....the disrespect he's received from his own fan base has been gross..like he's some scrub.

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2013, 05:40:46 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
did someone say rondo's scoring efficiency....LOL...compared to WHO's..? HE LEADS THE LEAGUE in ASSISTS......you wanted him to improve his shooting, he did, invented passes, runs, great layups, penetrates, takes on anyone, backs up his team mates....works hard, he is almost perfect....a better coaching effort would help his D..then what...? Some people just don't get it.....

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2013, 05:42:58 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
I agree.

Now this team has gelled without him...but that doesn't mean anything about Ray being right etc...rondo actually was wanting Avery to start.

Doesn't mean he's been some kind of hindrance all along..quite the opposite actually.

This team has no pressure, no expectations since his injury and are even now being coached better....the disrespect he's received from his own fan base has been gross..
i am with you...these guys step on our team mate in an instant....ask the SAME from everyone else also then....hardly anyone gives as good as rondo does.....

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2013, 05:50:15 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
I'm still annoyed by the fact when Avery came back things were starting to click, for Jeff green and lee, for the defense, and for rondo...he then got hurt and right as he got healthy again Rondo went out for the year....we never really got to see a healthy rondo and Bradley backcourt.....this turnaround and gelling was coming despite the injury IMO

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2013, 05:57:36 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

You asked for stories, I gave you stories.  It doesn't matter how old they are.

And yeah, while I know that Rondo isn't worth Paul, but the perception was a lot different then.  Paul was coming off an injury and an off year (or two?) and there were numerous fans from the Celtic side that were against the trade.  I know, hard to believe.  And Westbrook, well, he flawed too.  As far as Curry, how many celtic fans would puke if we traded rondo for him?  Probably a lot.  So it says something if in fact the warriors did not want to do that trade.
Of course it matters how old the stories are!!! You originally hinted that Rondo was being shopped before he got hurt and you wished someone would have bitten on the offers. Except you newest rumor you could find was almost a year old and has nothing to do with late December or early January, the time you are saying there was smoke all over Rondo.

The GM has not come forward and stated Rondo was on the block. There's been no national or local team guys from other areas of the country spouting Rondo rumors.

So how exactly was there Rondo smoke?

There was Rondo smoke on Celticsblog but there was also Allen Iverson smoke on Celticsblog so.....so much as CB for evaluating the hotness of a rumor.

Other than that, rumors about Rondo have been few and far between and it has nothing to do with teams not wanting Rondo, it has to do with him not being on the trading block.
I hinted no such thing.  See, people assume I want to trade rondo because of this six game sample.  Like I am convinced that this winning streak proves we don't need him.  Not true at all.  I would not have complained if we traded rondo this year or three years ago.  I never meant to suggest that I only wanted him traded this year.

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2013, 06:26:09 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I think Rondo is an incredible player / talent.

I also think:

1. He's often times lazy on D - and the combined & "consistent" defensive pressure that Bradley and Lee are applying has significantly improved our defense and been a major reason we've gone 6-0, soft schedule or not.

Celtics are in a very good position right now; over the rest of this season they they can see how good this team really is and if they like what they can see, they can trade Rondo for another piece at another position of need.

Or, they can get Rondo back healthy and he can be the Rondo we love as a player.

If they feel Rondo is the future, they could consider trading Bradley and Lee as a package for an all young stud off guard to pair with Rondo.

If they think Bradley is the ticket at point, they could trade Rondo for an all star at another position of need, maybe off guard or Center.

The way the rest of this season plays out will determine all that.   

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2013, 07:18:16 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
This fanbase has no loyalty for a PG that has lead this league in steals/assists while dominating playoff series. They cite Allen as a witness to his flaws when Ray ran towards South Beach for less money. Short term memories fade fast.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=49cK_op2uuw&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D49cK_op2uuw
I only wish DA could have traded him before he got hurt.  But alas, no team was willing to bite.

care to show the reports about rejected trades? The teams that didn't bite? There is zero evidence of that, but otherwise sounds good.

I think most fans do appreciate Rondo and it is a vocal minority that is yelling and screaming to trade him. Thank god they aren't trading him. This place has made me feel like a crazy person for wanting Rondo on this team going forward.
Evidence?  That's got to be a joke right?!?  Unless you're a GM (and have the tapes) or the GM came out and said something about proposed trades (which they never do), then no one has actual evidence.  But generally speaking, where there is smoke, there is fire.  Rondo has more smoke around him than a forrest fire. 

Ans this is what rondo apoligist don't understand.  I am not saying to cut the guy or that I don't appreciate him.  I simply think we can benefit from the value he would bring in return.  I'm a fan of the Boston Celtics, and that is bigger than any player for me.

Oh, yes, just an apologist. All I am. No, I actually think Rondo is beneficial to this team.

And, hey, no stories, no rejected trade offers, no leaks, where is the smoke? I really don't think we had been dangling Rondo and no one would take the bait. But, hey, you sensed smoke. Where was the smoke?
Okay, so you're trying to pretend we you haven't heard the rumors?  How about these three below?  In each case, the "rumor" was that the other team was not interested.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/7296934/sources-boston-celtics-deal-rajon-rondo-land-chris-paul

According to an SI.com report, Celtics general manager Danny Ainge is "highly motivated" to land Paul. The report says the Hornets don't appear interested in a two-team deal in which Rondo and Paul would switch places. So Ainge has been trying to find a third team to get involved.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/7631850/sources-boston-celtics-aggressively-trying-trade-guard-rajon-rondo

In December, the Celtics had discussions with Golden State about a Stephen Curry-for-Rondo deal, and one source says it was Golden State that decided against pulling the trigger. But Curry's recent ankle injuries, which have caused him several problems in his short career, have given the Celtics pause.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1256288-nba-trade-talk-time-to-re-think-the-westbrook-for-rondo-deal

Last fall, the Boston Celtics reached out to the Oklahoma City Thunder in an attempt to acquire star point guard Russell Westbrook.

The premise of that deal was Westbrook for Boston's Rajon Rondo, with Oklahoma City re-acquiring Jeff Green and Boston re-acquiring Kendrick Perkins.

Oklahoma City wasn’t interested in that deal last fall, but it is time to re-open the Westbrook for Rondo talk. The deal, at its core, benefits both teams.
You do realize these rumors are older than dirt and that the three players that the other team had are as good of basketball players as Rondo, so you can understand them not wanting Rondo. Sort of like we wouldn't want Rudy Gay or Danny Granger or Nicolas Batum for Pierce. Doesn't make them lesser players it just makes Pierce better for us.

I really don't think there was a lot of Rondo discussion around the league before he got hurt that was beyond, "scratching the surface, kicking the tires, seeing who's available stuff" like there always is in January and December.
You asked for stories, I gave you stories.  It doesn't matter how old they are.

And yeah, while I know that Rondo isn't worth Paul, but the perception was a lot different then.  Paul was coming off an injury and an off year (or two?) and there were numerous fans from the Celtic side that were against the trade.  I know, hard to believe.  And Westbrook, well, he flawed too.  As far as Curry, how many celtic fans would puke if we traded rondo for him?  Probably a lot.  So it says something if in fact the warriors did not want to do that trade.

Or maybe the Celtics didn't want Curry...?

In December, the Celtics had discussions with Golden State about a Stephen Curry-for-Rondo deal, and one source says it was Golden State that decided against pulling the trigger. But Curry's recent ankle injuries, which have caused him several problems in his short career, have given the Celtics pause. The potential trade is still being discussed by Boston's braintrust, but they aren't sure they want to go forward with it. It also isn't clear whether the Warriors would be willing to do it. Other players would have to be thrown in to make it work financially.

Also keep in mind it was Chris Broussard and his "sources" that started most of these trade rumors (Rondo-Curry, Rondo/Green-Westbrook/Perkins). 

And with the Pau/Rondo rumor, Woj said there was no discussions between the two teams:

Said Wojnarowski: "I think that LA certainly wants a point guard, there's no question. I know Kobe [Bryant] loves Rondo, and he'd love to play with him. I've also been told, for all the talk about that Gasol [rumor] … I've been told the two teams never ever discussed — LA had never called Boston and they've never discussed it. I don't think it's anything that's really based in any reality."

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2012/03/02/adrian-wojnarowski-on-dc-dont-see-rondo-deal-happening/