Author Topic: Rondo should request a trade  (Read 5116 times)

Re: Rondo should request a trade
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 03:56:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This fanbase has no loyalty for a PG that has lead this league in steals/assists while dominating playoff series. They cite Allen as a witness to his flaws when Ray ran towards South Beach for less money. Short term memories fade fast.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=49cK_op2uuw&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D49cK_op2uuw
I only wish DA could have traded him before he got hurt.  But alas, no team was willing to bite.

I wouldn't have minded a Rondo trade prior to the injury, either, but I doubt it was a matter of other teams not willing to "bite."  Rather, there weren't any top shelf players who were definitely available at that point.

I was holding out hope for the possibility of a Rondo for Cousins swap around the time of the draft, though.  But that doesn't seem to be in the cards, either, given the injury.

From the little I've seen of Cousins the people who are expecting him to lead a team to a title have a good long wait ahead of them and that's somewhat optimistic. Some team will trade for him and give him a big contract, I'd rather be the team that signs him to a smaller contract after he wears out his welcome at his next destination.

Yeah, I think Cousins is probably one of those "third team" guys.  I don't think he's going to lead anybody to a title, either.  But I do think he'll be a great #2 on some really good team some day.  He just seems guaranteed to be the next Rasheed / Z-Bo or maybe even the next Pau (who never had attitude issues but was considered a soft loser before joining the Lakers and winning).

I think the right organization could turn Cousins into a valuable player sooner rather than later, though.  I think he just needs to go into a situation where he's the clear #2, and the organization can make clear that they value him, but that he's not indispensable.  I.e. there's an entrenched coach and an established franchise star already.  Neither is going to get moved or fired on Cousins' account.  But Cousins still knows that his play has a huge effect on the team's success.

Example: the Rockets (McHale / Harden) or the Cavs (Scott / Irving) would be two great situations for Cousins to go into, I think.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 03:57:52 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
This fanbase has no loyalty for a PG that has lead this league in steals/assists while dominating playoff series. They cite Allen as a witness to his flaws when Ray ran towards South Beach for less money. Short term memories fade fast.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=49cK_op2uuw&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D49cK_op2uuw
I only wish DA could have traded him before he got hurt.  But alas, no team was willing to bite.

care to show the reports about rejected trades? The teams that didn't bite? There is zero evidence of that, but otherwise sounds good.

I think most fans do appreciate Rondo and it is a vocal minority that is yelling and screaming to trade him. Thank god they aren't trading him. This place has made me feel like a crazy person for wanting Rondo on this team going forward.
Evidence?  That's got to be a joke right?!?  Unless you're a GM (and have the tapes) or the GM came out and said something about proposed trades (which they never do), then no one has actual evidence.  But generally speaking, where there is smoke, there is fire.  Rondo has more smoke around him than a forrest fire. 

Ans this is what rondo apoligist don't understand.  I am not saying to cut the guy or that I don't appreciate him.  I simply think we can benefit from the value he would bring in return.  I'm a fan of the Boston Celtics, and that is bigger than any player for me.

Oh, yes, just an apologist. All I am. No, I actually think Rondo is beneficial to this team.

And, hey, no stories, no rejected trade offers, no leaks, where is the smoke? I really don't think we had been dangling Rondo and no one would take the bait. But, hey, you sensed smoke. Where was the smoke?
Okay, so you're trying to pretend we you haven't heard the rumors?  How about these three below?  In each case, the "rumor" was that the other team was not interested.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/7296934/sources-boston-celtics-deal-rajon-rondo-land-chris-paul

According to an SI.com report, Celtics general manager Danny Ainge is "highly motivated" to land Paul. The report says the Hornets don't appear interested in a two-team deal in which Rondo and Paul would switch places. So Ainge has been trying to find a third team to get involved.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/7631850/sources-boston-celtics-aggressively-trying-trade-guard-rajon-rondo

In December, the Celtics had discussions with Golden State about a Stephen Curry-for-Rondo deal, and one source says it was Golden State that decided against pulling the trigger. But Curry's recent ankle injuries, which have caused him several problems in his short career, have given the Celtics pause.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1256288-nba-trade-talk-time-to-re-think-the-westbrook-for-rondo-deal

Last fall, the Boston Celtics reached out to the Oklahoma City Thunder in an attempt to acquire star point guard Russell Westbrook.

The premise of that deal was Westbrook for Boston's Rajon Rondo, with Oklahoma City re-acquiring Jeff Green and Boston re-acquiring Kendrick Perkins.

Oklahoma City wasn’t interested in that deal last fall, but it is time to re-open the Westbrook for Rondo talk. The deal, at its core, benefits both teams.
You do realize these rumors are older than dirt and that the three players that the other team had are as good of basketball players as Rondo, so you can understand them not wanting Rondo. Sort of like we wouldn't want Rudy Gay or Danny Granger or Nicolas Batum for Pierce. Doesn't make them lesser players it just makes Pierce better for us.

I really don't think there was a lot of Rondo discussion around the league before he got hurt that was beyond, "scratching the surface, kicking the tires, seeing who's available stuff" like there always is in January and December.
You asked for stories, I gave you stories.  It doesn't matter how old they are.

And yeah, while I know that Rondo isn't worth Paul, but the perception was a lot different then.  Paul was coming off an injury and an off year (or two?) and there were numerous fans from the Celtic side that were against the trade.  I know, hard to believe.  And Westbrook, well, he flawed too.  As far as Curry, how many celtic fans would puke if we traded rondo for him?  Probably a lot.  So it says something if in fact the warriors did not want to do that trade.

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 04:00:38 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Part of me wants the Celtics to go on a 5-game losing streak to end this absurd talk.  Most of me wants the Celtics to just keep playing well, with or without Rondo, and just stop reading these forums.

I think it's overly wishful that the absurd talk will stop if we lose some games. You're seeing what I generally think of as off-season threads, where people make hyperbolic claims about Rondo's deficiencies and how much he "hurts the team". They generally lessen in frequency during the season because you can compare the claims to what you see in games but that won't be the case until November or so.

Let's be real: there's always absurd talk going on in these forums about something.  ;)

I still think the Rondo-is-a-problem talk is less ridiculous than the "We are still contenders this season!" talk.  But at least the latter is mostly harmless.

If Rondo and Sully were healthy we would be contenders. The "we're not contenders anymore" has been going on since KG's knee injury, it's no more compelling this year than it has been in the past.

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 04:11:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

You asked for stories, I gave you stories.  It doesn't matter how old they are.

And yeah, while I know that Rondo isn't worth Paul, but the perception was a lot different then.  Paul was coming off an injury and an off year (or two?) and there were numerous fans from the Celtic side that were against the trade.  I know, hard to believe.  And Westbrook, well, he flawed too.  As far as Curry, how many celtic fans would puke if we traded rondo for him?  Probably a lot.  So it says something if in fact the warriors did not want to do that trade.
Of course it matters how old the stories are!!! You originally hinted that Rondo was being shopped before he got hurt and you wished someone would have bitten on the offers. Except you newest rumor you could find was almost a year old and has nothing to do with late December or early January, the time you are saying there was smoke all over Rondo.

The GM has not come forward and stated Rondo was on the block. There's been no national or local team guys from other areas of the country spouting Rondo rumors.

So how exactly was there Rondo smoke?

There was Rondo smoke on Celticsblog but there was also Allen Iverson smoke on Celticsblog so.....so much as CB for evaluating the hotness of a rumor.

Other than that, rumors about Rondo have been few and far between and it has nothing to do with teams not wanting Rondo, it has to do with him not being on the trading block.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 04:40:39 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 04:21:03 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Rondo is going to be one of those players that fans will miss when he is taking over a game on the other team.

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 04:25:36 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Rondo's scoring deficiency is the reason why I have been open to Rondo being traded since before this recent winning streak.

Other than Championship caliber defense, Championship teams need elite scorers and Rondo, unfortunately, is an inconsistent and, too often, unreliable source of points. He's an excellent distributor, but in the playoffs against the elite teams is when elite scorers are at a premium.

This is the reason why the Rondo for Curry trade rumors last season had me very intrigued despite Curry being injury prone up until that point because the kid was already an elite shooter and has all the potential to be an elite scorer.

Rondo's an excellent player, but, in the end, regardless of his assist total, triple doubles, individual statistics, and spectacular single-game performances, this team more than likely will not win a title if he's the clear best player on the team.

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2013, 04:50:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Bill Simmons suggested trading Rondo for Cousins and Salmons. I'd have to think about that one. Elite bigs are even harder to find than elite point guards.

i would do that trade in a heartbeat. Cousins i think gets traded 100 percent by the trade deadline.

Sac then can trade anyone else no named Evans, to ATl to get Smith. Smith, Evans, Rondo would be an interesting team to watch on the court

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2013, 04:54:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Bill Simmons suggested trading Rondo for Cousins and Salmons. I'd have to think about that one. Elite bigs are even harder to find than elite point guards.

i would do that trade in a heartbeat. Cousins i think gets traded 100 percent by the trade deadline.

Sac then can trade anyone else no named Evans, to ATl to get Smith. Smith, Evans, Rondo would be an interesting team to watch on the court
Seriously doubt that the people who just bought the Kings is going to trade their best asset before getting down to see what they have over an off season. Sactown isn't moving Evans or Cousins. New Ownership won't let them unless that management team is ripping off some poor schmuck of a GM somewhere.

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2013, 04:58:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Seriously doubt that the people who just bought the Kings is going to trade their best asset before getting down to see what they have over an off season. Sactown isn't moving Evans or Cousins. New Ownership won't let them unless that management team is ripping off some poor schmuck of a GM somewhere.

i'm not sure how your coming up with this conclusion. Cousins is a very bad player for sac or seattle to have to rep them for the future. Getting suspended and kicked out of games left and right , is not exactly a model player for your team.

Fans won't care for this and won't pay money to watch this kind of crap on the court. Maybe he doesn't get traded by the trade deadline, but he can't be the face of your team

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2013, 04:59:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
We couldn't even get equal value for ROndo when he was healthy.

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2013, 05:03:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

care to show the reports about rejected trades? The teams that didn't bite? There is zero evidence of that, but otherwise sounds good.

I think most fans do appreciate Rondo and it is a vocal minority that is yelling and screaming to trade him. Thank god they aren't trading him. This place has made me feel like a crazy person for wanting Rondo on this team going forward.
Evidence?  That's got to be a joke right?!?  Unless you're a GM (and have the tapes) or the GM came out and said something about proposed trades (which they never do), then no one has actual evidence.  But generally speaking, where there is smoke, there is fire.  Rondo has more smoke around him than a forrest fire. 

Ans this is what rondo apoligist don't understand.  I am not saying to cut the guy or that I don't appreciate him.  I simply think we can benefit from the value he would bring in return.  I'm a fan of the Boston Celtics, and that is bigger than any player for me.

Oh, yes, just an apologist. All I am. No, I actually think Rondo is beneficial to this team.

And, hey, no stories, no rejected trade offers, no leaks, where is the smoke? I really don't think we had been dangling Rondo and no one would take the bait. But, hey, you sensed smoke. Where was the smoke?
Okay, so you're trying to pretend we you haven't heard the rumors?  How about these three below?  In each case, the "rumor" was that the other team was not interested.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/7296934/sources-boston-celtics-deal-rajon-rondo-land-chris-paul

According to an SI.com report, Celtics general manager Danny Ainge is "highly motivated" to land Paul. The report says the Hornets don't appear interested in a two-team deal in which Rondo and Paul would switch places. So Ainge has been trying to find a third team to get involved.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/7631850/sources-boston-celtics-aggressively-trying-trade-guard-rajon-rondo

In December, the Celtics had discussions with Golden State about a Stephen Curry-for-Rondo deal, and one source says it was Golden State that decided against pulling the trigger. But Curry's recent ankle injuries, which have caused him several problems in his short career, have given the Celtics pause.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1256288-nba-trade-talk-time-to-re-think-the-westbrook-for-rondo-deal

Last fall, the Boston Celtics reached out to the Oklahoma City Thunder in an attempt to acquire star point guard Russell Westbrook.

The premise of that deal was Westbrook for Boston's Rajon Rondo, with Oklahoma City re-acquiring Jeff Green and Boston re-acquiring Kendrick Perkins.

Oklahoma City wasn’t interested in that deal last fall, but it is time to re-open the Westbrook for Rondo talk. The deal, at its core, benefits both teams.
Yup.  Also the Lakers supposedly turned down trading Pau to us for Rondo.

We couldn't even get equal value for Rondo when he was healthy. No way we are getting anything for him now.  Maybe an expiring contract for a team willing to gamble on Rondo's health.

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2013, 05:04:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
We couldn't even get equal value for ROndo when he was healthy.

its ok. Sac won't get equal value for cousins. It might just all workout.

To Sac: Rondo + Melo + 1st round pick
To Bos: Cousins + Hayes

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2013, 05:13:15 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Kobe posted on msn.."You-all don't want Rondo, we'll take him!" Better think about it....imagine Rondo coming AT US......You know THEN they would CALL IT, when he gets whacked to the ground like he does 1000 times a game playing for US...!!! Look what kobe has for a pg...38 year old.....and you complain about RONDO....man....!

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2013, 05:15:33 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
if i was the lakers, i would trade howard for cousins...!

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2013, 05:15:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

i'm not sure how your coming up with this conclusion. Cousins is a very bad player for sac or seattle to have to rep them for the future. Getting suspended and kicked out of games left and right , is not exactly a model player for your team.

Fans won't care for this and won't pay money to watch this kind of crap on the court. Maybe he doesn't get traded by the trade deadline, but he can't be the face of your team
I could care less how good a team mate Cousins is, I could care less how good a player Cousins is. I don't care what type of model he is.

He is an asset that needs to be evaluated buy the people who own and manage the team to see if he is a viable player to build around or whether they should trade him and if so, what could they get for him.

Doing that hastily two weeks before the trade deadline is bad business. I doubt they will spend $500 million on the team and then not do a proper in depth evaluation of the Kings best players to see what to do with them.