Author Topic: Most fun I've had watching the Celtics all year. Rambling thoughts  (Read 3116 times)

Re: Most fun I've had watching the Celtics all year. Rambling thoughts
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 04:56:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yeah Tim, Stockton and Nash were two of the best shooters to ever play this game.  You had to respect their shooting ability at all times.  You don't have to respect Rondo's shooting ability at all. An opposing team would be more than willing to live and die with Rondo jumpers.

It would be tough to play this style with Rondo out there, because when Rondo doesn't have the ball defenses don't have to really worry about him.

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 05:34:53 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Awesome post LB33.  I agree with you on pretty much every point.

I'm loving the offense now.  If we could only trade Rondo for Gasol imagine how easy this team would score?  Or another true low post scoring 7 footer?  Big Al anyone? 

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 05:49:59 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Yeah Tim, Stockton and Nash were two of the best shooters to ever play this game.  You had to respect their shooting ability at all times.  You don't have to respect Rondo's shooting ability at all. An opposing team would be more than willing to live and die with Rondo jumpers.

It would be tough to play this style with Rondo out there, because when Rondo doesn't have the ball defenses don't have to really worry about him.

First of all Stockton was a pretty good shooter, not one of the best to ever play the game. Secondly, I didn't say you didn't have to respect their jumpers. And clearly an opposing team would be more than willing to live and die with Rondo jumpers. If you're going to claim that will prevent him from getting 11 assists a game you'd need to convince everyone the last 3 years didn't happen. Arguments about why Rondo's game means he can't get a ton of assists became moot in 2010 or so. Claims he can't get it done without great shooters or without the big three have fallen by the wayside as well. You might as well be explaining why Obama could never beat Romney in a presidential election.

Also, while I don't expect you'd see the exact same offense with Rondo, it's ridiculous to claim that you couldn't run it with Rondo. It's running with offensive lightweights like Lee and Bradley. Who would a defense be more concerned about getting the ball when they're wide open and 20 feet from the basket, Rondo or Bradley or Lee?

If you answer anything other than Rondo it's because (aside from the fact that they're only marginally better shooters than him, they aren't Ray or anything) you're unaware of the possibility that he might do something with the ball other than a jumper. Look at all the times Lee drives into the lane from outside the arc when they swing him the ball. If you don't think teams would be more worried if Rondo was doing that you're kidding yourself.

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 05:53:52 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
All I know is that I went to bed last night with a Joker-Like grin on my face.

The Boston Celtics taking The Los Angeles Lakers out back to the shed for a whupping does that for me.

Just like old times, and WAY overdue.

They WERE like 3-0 on our home floor since 07-08.

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 06:21:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I taped the game.....and  I'm not going to erase it anytime soon.......

I watched that 3 rd period over,three times,already

I was starving for some old time Celtics ball

I think even Kobe appreciated the Celtics team effort after,the  awful season the LA has had.

beautiful basketball

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 06:24:21 PM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Great team win for us. Didn't get much sleep but it was all worth it.

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 09:51:45 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Team being the key word here.

Amazing to me how many people don't understand that.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 12:04:39 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Can someone post a video of that stretch?

http://youtu.be/g3l7SV3CVVo

How about the REAL SEQUENCE OF EVENTS? starting with the 3 by JET? anyone????
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 12:16:25 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Team being the key word here.

Amazing to me how many people don't understand that.

yes, ...... sad but true..........kids only want the latest , greatest and instant satisfaction ,  hard work of those who have struggled to make it to the top is under appreciated

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 12:28:24 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
I love Rondo, but I completely agree with the original poster on this one.  Took the thoughts right out of mind.

Going forward...this is the decision Danny has to make.

Keep Rondo as a secondary building block and fill in with personnel that suit his style.  Unfortunately you will need a lead man the caliber of lebron or durant or a young pierce to make it work at a championship level.  Not that easy, but it can happen.

Or

Move rondo, for a decent big and serviceable point and combine that with team we have for the remainder of kg and greens, and perhaps pierces contracts. Something along the lines of a rondo for Conley and gasol trade...or yes I would have loved if Danny gamble on an injured curry last year and did a curry/David lee for rondo package. 

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 12:31:40 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I love Rondo, but I completely agree with the original poster on this one.  Took the thoughts right out of mind.

Going forward...this is the decision Danny has to make.

Keep Rondo as a secondary building block and fill in with personnel that suit his style.  Unfortunately you will need a lead man the caliber of lebron or durant or a young pierce to make it work at a championship level.  Not that easy, but it can happen.

Don't let the fact that a Rondo-led team has come close to winning a title without a lead man of that caliber get in your way.

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 12:35:47 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I haven't been as excited during a celtics game like I was during that 45 second stretch last night in a long long looooong time. I felt like I was watching the thunder. It felt really good to not be bored all game because of no movement or fast breaks.
I watch watching it alone and that sequence of Jeff Green's dunk... then coasting back down the court for a block made me squeal like a little girl.  I scared the hell out of my cat.

Haha I had a similar reaction, I wouldnt say I squealed but it was something in the ball park.