Author Topic: Sign Lou Amundson?  (Read 5025 times)

Re: Sign Lou Amundson?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 02:38:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
he is not going to fix anything. But if he does well, i wouldn't be surprised.

He was a fan favorite when he was with phx a few years ago.

If he came on board vs other guys on the team, he is taller than Bass, plus tougher inside , he has more energy than Wilcox and anyone is better than Collins.

The energy and willing to bang inside with adequate rebounding/block shot results are the keys here. Imo its a free pickup , better than giving up a 2nd for mozgov

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 02:39:42 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
P.S. Because he's a minimum salary player, the Celtics could simply offer a 2nd rounder or cash to Minnesota, and not have to send a body back.

He's been waived, so that is no longer an option.  He was waived because nobody wanted to cough up a heavily protected 2nd round pick.

Sorry, I thought Minnesota was planning to waive him. Water under the bridge now.

Since he is a minimum salary guy who was waived, the Celtics can try to claim him off of waivers without having to give up a draft pick. 
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 02:45:07 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
P.S. Because he's a minimum salary player, the Celtics could simply offer a 2nd rounder or cash to Minnesota, and not have to send a body back.

He's been waived, so that is no longer an option.  He was waived because nobody wanted to cough up a heavily protected 2nd round pick.

Sorry, I thought Minnesota was planning to waive him. Water under the bridge now.

Since he is a minimum salary guy who was waived, the Celtics can try to claim him off of waivers without having to give up a draft pick.

True, assuming none of the 15 teams with higher waiver priority submit a bid. Dealing directly with Minnesota before they waived Amundson would have kept him off the open market.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 02:59:49 PM »

Offline drax

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
Are you kidding? this guy is garbage. They cut him so they can sign chris johnson.  Think about that for a second, chris johnson, the guy who wasnt good enough to be our 15th man.

Agreed. Admundson is terrible. Has he even played a meaningful minute in the NBA ever?

Remember another white big man last season, he didn't play a single minute in the NBA and at the end of the season he was a player for 10+ minutes off the bench. Stiemsma did get more minutes then our talented power forward rookie last year, JJJ is now a d-leauge player, Stiemsma did get a two year deal. Effort combined with KG always works. What's the worst that can happen a lost roster spot?

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 03:20:24 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is a tweener though and at some point real size matters.   Isn't he another 6'8" PF?   Those guys sometimes struggle guarding bigs down low.

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 04:04:31 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
He is a tweener though and at some point real size matters.   Isn't he another 6'8" PF?   Those guys sometimes struggle guarding bigs down low.

It's all relative.  He may struggle in certain spots, but despite that could still be an upgrade over Chris Wilcox in the same spot. 

Ask these questions.  How much does Amundson improve the team? (I think we can all agree that he is better than leaving a roster spot empty.)  If the Celtics wait to fill an empty roster spot, what is the probability that they will have a better option in the future?  What is the probability that they will be stuck with worse options?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 06:36:20 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Update (of sorts): Amundson has passed through waivers, and has a couple of teams looking into signing him.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/226083/Lakers-Knicks-76ers-Interested-In-Amundson

Celtics are not mentioned.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 06:57:27 PM »

Offline dunisho

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
Najera!!!! :)

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 07:09:37 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
6'7" often do not protect the rim well.

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 07:14:27 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Louis Amundson is pretty much Leon Powe. I find it funny that while people call him garbage, they would still harp for the return of Powe long after he was physically unable to perform in the NBA.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 07:49:35 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
6'7" often do not protect the rim well.
Maybe. But he's 6'9, and is a reasonable shot blocker, given his size.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 08:45:47 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Louis Amundson is pretty much Leon Powe. I find it funny that while people call him garbage, they would still harp for the return of Powe long after he was physically unable to perform in the NBA.

Other than position, what do the two players have in common? One was a post player, the others a weak side energy guy. 
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 09:51:24 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
No, thank you.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 11:04:03 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Other than position, what do the two players have in common? One was a post player, the others a weak side energy guy.
Other than an inch of height, what do they have that's different? Both are scrappers without any particular standout skills -- they'll get some rebounds and some easy buckets, and won't stop anyone one-on-one in the post.

Also, didn't realize Amundson was a "post player". Because Leon Powe certainly isn't.

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 01:06:14 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Other than an inch of height, what do they have that's different?

Powe was a better offensive player.  Amundson is a significantly better defender, including putting up better shot-blocking stats than anyone currently on the Celtics.