Author Topic: Sign Lou Amundson?  (Read 5023 times)

Sign Lou Amundson?
« on: February 08, 2013, 01:29:56 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I started a thread on this earlier.  Finding no takers, the Minnesota Timberwolves have chosen to waive Lou Amundson in order to make roster space for ex-Celtic Chris Johnson.  This choice to waive the white guy to make room for the black guy may or may not stop the occasional eruption of "The T-Wolves are white!" threads on this forum.  What it does do is make available an energy big who can't hit a free throw but who is known for rebounding and defensive tenacity.

He's not an upgrade over Bass, but he could be a situational upgrade over Wilcox or Collins.  His ideal role is probably 4th or 5th big.  He performed decently for Indiana last season in the playoffs, but his offense went in the tank this season, moving him from a useful back-of-the-rotation guy to a liability.

Should the Celtics try to claim him off of waivers (which they can, since he is on a minimum contract), see if they can sign him to a ten-day contract after he passes through waivers, or wait and see if they can get someone better?  The main argument for trying to get him now is that you have more time to integrate him into the system than if you wait for a buyout guy, so it might more sense to get him now rather than a slightly more talented player who might not even be available in the future.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: Sign Lou Amundson?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 01:35:46 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
It's too bad he's not 3 inches taller.

I'd still sign him to a 10-day contract, and take it from there. Good energy, mobility, and grit off the bench.

P.S. Because he's a minimum salary player, the Celtics could simply offer a 2nd rounder or cash to Minnesota, and not have to send a body back.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 01:36:26 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
I like Amundson. He always works very hard, and that's what we need on this team: a hardworking guy to keep motivating the guys who clearly weren't trying their hardest until Rondo and Sully went down.

My ideal bigs rotation would be:

KG/Bass/Wilcox/Amundson/Collins

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 01:40:32 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Seems like a good fit behind basd
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 01:45:21 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
I'd take him... cant be any worse than Collins

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 01:51:23 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Amundson is not much of a defender. He works hard but he doesn't bring much to the table. Too limited. A very weak offensive player. Negative contributor on that end of the floor. Quality rebounder. Good energy guy.

I don't think Amundson would be able to beat out Bass or Wilcox for minutes but he is a good third string PF. He can give a team some solid minutes here and there.

I would be happy enough to sign Amundson. Useful third string caliber PF.

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 02:01:47 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Are you kidding? this guy is garbage. They cut him so they can sign chris johnson.  Think about that for a second, chris johnson, the guy who wasnt good enough to be our 15th man.

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 02:11:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Are you kidding? this guy is garbage. They cut him so they can sign chris johnson.  Think about that for a second, chris johnson, the guy who wasnt good enough to be our 15th man.

Amundson was always likely to struggle with Rick Adelman.

Wrong coach. Wrong situation. Amundson is an unskilled big. Adelman doesn't do well with those. He likes his big man to be able to pass the ball and make decisions on the ball. Even if you don't have shooting ability or scoring ability, if you can pass the ball and be relied on to make good decisions when passed the ball, Adelman will be happy to find a role for you. If you can't do that, you better be a dominant defender/rebounder otherwise you aren't getting off the bench.

It was the same with Thabeet in Houston. Now Thabeet moves and goes to Oklahoma where these tasks aren't required from their big men and suddenly Thabeet is a capable end of rotation player. Amundson is in the same boat. Amundson is an NBA player albeit a third stringer but an NBA caliber player. Adelman and Minnesota was just a bad place for him to be. 

I wouldn't write Amundson off because of how things went in Minnesota.

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 02:18:47 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I'd don't like his attitude
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 02:28:55 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
P.S. Because he's a minimum salary player, the Celtics could simply offer a 2nd rounder or cash to Minnesota, and not have to send a body back.

He's been waived, so that is no longer an option.  He was waived because nobody wanted to cough up a heavily protected 2nd round pick.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 02:29:11 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I'd don't like his attitude

Please elaborate.

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 02:32:54 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

He's been waived, so that is no longer an option.  He was waived because nobody wanted to cough up a heavily protected 2nd round pick.

Sorry, I thought Minnesota was planning to waive him. Water under the bridge now.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 02:34:05 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Agreed. Admundson is terrible. Has he even played a meaningful minute in the NBA ever?

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 02:35:54 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Chris Johnson was a bit of a project.  It would have made long-term sense to keep CJ permanently back then, but the team wanted to clear roster spots for Troy Murphy, Sasha Pavlovic, and Carlos Arroyo.

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 02:38:07 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Agreed. Admundson is terrible. Has he even played a meaningful minute in the NBA ever?

I thought he was a decent contributor to that Phoenix Suns playoff team of a few years ago that got to the Conference Finals.