Author Topic: Sad thing (Rondo Related)  (Read 6149 times)

Re: Sad thing (Rondo Related)
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 02:35:13 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
It's not just effort.   There is something psychologically freeing about playing when the chips are down.  It's the nothing left to lose mentality that drives people at all levels when the best player(s) is unable to play or when down by a large number. It's the opposite of the  let-down mentality we see all the time (except last night) when a team goes up by 30.  This team is feeding and thriving off the energy of the underdog fighting against the odds. It will difficult to sustain.

I disagree it's an underdog mentality.  I think these guys all knew how good they are and now they've had the ability to demonstrate that and they've garnered some swag along the way that's curtailed into actually enjoying playing the game.  they are building chemistry becasue they've been freed to be themselves out there.  they play with confidence and like they are having fun.  It's refreshing to see.

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 02:55:18 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Well, there is the possibility that we are actually better without rondo.  Either way, we should have a fairly good answer about that over the 38 game sample.  If it is smoke and mirrors, then will come back down to earth.  If we don't, then perhaps what we are seeing is real (and we are better).

38 games is still a relatively small sample, considering differences in home/road competition, the tanking of bad teams at the end of the season for better draft slots, and different levels of health on the Celtics.  Certainly there are things about the way this team plays that should be incorporated when Rondo returns, but that does not mean that we are "better."

Just last season, we saw a similar sample of Rondo/AB/Pierce/Bass/KG completely dominate the competition.  That same combo this season, albeit for a dozen games, was nothing special.
What if WE end up tanking the rest of the way?  Will it still not matter or will it be used to prove that we really miss Rondo?  I get what you're saying, and as I said, I am not jumping to any conclusions, but what we have here is called confirmation bias.  If the evidence supports what you already think, then it is accepted.  If the evidence contradicts your preconceived idea, then we find reasons to ignore it.

38 games is nearly half a season.  Clearly, we will learn SOMETHING about our team without Rondo in that time.

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 03:07:44 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
The sad thing is we should have been playing this way with Rondo.

For some reason for much of the earlier part of the season, Terry, Green, Bass, Lee all their games were asleep at the wheel.

I don't know why Rondo's injury and Sully's injury triggered the wake up call, but that's how the cards played out.

Imagine Rondo playing with all these weapons and the defensive and uptempo offense that Danny envisioned and Doc was hopeful of coaching....imagine that.

This is the most balanced, youth and veteran infused roster we have had in the KG era.

I really hope Rondo can see what has been happening and he should know in his heart that he does not need to go out and look for triple doubles for us to win...they are nice, but when everything is right, Rondo needs just play solid D and pass the ball to the open guy, shoot the open shot and lay the ball up if he is at the rim.
it is Not a coincidence that our team is playing this well without RR. He is a ball hog, dribbles around the clock, and than try's to find a shooter( only spot up shooter is KG, and he likes to make one dribble, step back).
If we could have DMC for RR straight away, pull the trigger
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 03:23:56 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
The sad thing is we should have been playing this way with Rondo.

For some reason for much of the earlier part of the season, Terry, Green, Bass, Lee all their games were asleep at the wheel.

I don't know why Rondo's injury and Sully's injury triggered the wake up call, but that's how the cards played out.

Imagine Rondo playing with all these weapons and the defensive and uptempo offense that Danny envisioned and Doc was hopeful of coaching....imagine that.

This is the most balanced, youth and veteran infused roster we have had in the KG era.

I really hope Rondo can see what has been happening and he should know in his heart that he does not need to go out and look for triple doubles for us to win...they are nice, but when everything is right, Rondo needs just play solid D and pass the ball to the open guy, shoot the open shot and lay the ball up if he is at the rim.
it is Not a coincidence that our team is playing this well without RR. He is a ball hog, dribbles around the clock, and than try's to find a shooter( only spot up shooter is KG, and he likes to make one dribble, step back).
If we could have DMC for RR straight away, pull the trigger

It's also not a coincidence that our team almost won a title in 2010 and went to the ECF last year with Rondo.

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 03:24:18 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I find it amazing that everyone has always said that Rondo loves playing this uptempo style of basketball and he kills it in transition. Yet, he predominately quarterbacks us to play an incredibly slow half court game. Then when he is out, all we do it run and get out in transition... I dont understand it.
Rondo has great court vision, and is a little bit in love with this feature of his, so he'll hold on to the ball until he sees something.

Our current crop of ballhandlers, if something is not there right away, they'll move the ball.

So yeah, the sad thing is that Rondo has gradually stopped doing this as his career progressed. I don't think it's a positive development of his game -- and it is also part of the reason guys like Terry and Lee have not played well in his presence, since they got relegated to spot shooting and running off of picks.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 03:34:56 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
why dopeople refuse to go with the evidence. It is amazing how folks will argue with what is patently clear - the team has played better over the last 6 games without Rajon Rondo. I fact, the team has played better without a potent weapon that Rondo had (Sully).

Now argue all you want, but there is a problem when the worst shooter on the team dominates the ball. Afterall BB is about scoring the basketball, right?

If you dont believe me, watch how ineffective Kobe was on defense last night. If Rondo had played Kobe would have convinced hsi team that he would take Rondo, then he would have sagged off Rondo daring him to shoot the ball. Rondo would have pounded a hole on the parquet floor waiting for someone, anyone, to get open. This will not happen until the end of the clock and a desperation shot would be heaved we make it we cheer we miss (which is most of the time) the frustrated players fall back on defense unhappy and not giving full effort because who wants to play defense when they do not get rewarded with touches on the other end fo the court? All in all we have a bunch of players who are not having fun and it did show.

Now the ball is moving, everyone gets a touch, even Barbs is playing.

I put the blame on Doc Rivers... he should have seen all this and noticed thathe was not playing to the strength of his players.

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2013, 10:12:15 AM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
If we down grade the point guard slot by 50%
But up grade the play of 6 of the other top 8 players by 20% your up 70%

Yes Rondo fills a stat line but when he dominates the ball pounding it not letting other players play the game also we are worse for it.

All of these guys comming alive at once is no accident. Yes some of it is more effort, but happy players tend to play harder. Its hard for some players to achieve their potential or have the maximum effectiveness while Rondo pounds the ball.

We don,t need to trade the kid. Doc nees to grow a pair and do his job and coach the players he has and make Rondo move the ---- ball more.

We all see how much better we play when we MOVE the ball.

blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2013, 10:14:50 AM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Rondo officially stinks... Rondo lovers, just let him go. Its now league-known that we are better w/out him (and more entertaining imo). CelticNation, just hop off the Rondo wagon instead of keeping him, who holds our team back...
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2013, 10:32:21 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
WRONG!   No title without Rondo in 08.

I bet some of our free agents signed  because of his passing.  Maybe stick to hockey or something you know something about?

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2013, 10:34:18 AM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
WRONG!   No title without Rondo in 08.

I bet some of our free agents signed  because of his passing.  Maybe stick to hockey or something you know something about?

Is that a joke?
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!