Author Topic: Gortat, Millsap, Morris to BOS / Rondo, Bass to PHX / Dragic to Utah (trade idea  (Read 6274 times)

Re: Gortat, Millsap, Morris to BOS / Rondo, Bass to PHX / Dragic to Utah
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 11:38:53 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I just can't see Phoenix trading Dragic and Gortat (and Morris) for an injured Rondo and a crappy Bass.  It just doesn't make sense for them.

They've be unable to land lesser stars repeatedly. They can't get a player of Rondo's caliber when healthy -- they don't have the assets. So they get an All-Star starter, tank the rest of the season, and have a better long term picture than they have today. They're not winning anything between now and when he's healthy anyway. And fans don't show up to see Dragic and Gortat, but they will for Rondo when he's back.

Rondo tore his ACL -- it's not like he broke his neck. He's young, and has been a warrior to date. He'll bounce back fully.
Let's just say he actually comes back to full strength (which is incredibly unlikely) when he does he will be in the last year of his contract.

Boston isn't going to get great value for him unless they are taking on injured players, unhappy players, or players with bad contracts.

I don't understand your overstatement about how 'incredibly unlikely' it is that he returns to full strength, nor your point about how soon. Rondo has a partially torn ACL -- he didn't even blow it. He's a physical freak. Adrian Peterson fully tore both his ACL and his MCL, then had a historic NFL season immediately thereafter -- tell him how unlikely that was.

Meanwhile, we're not even at the All-Star break, and Rondo has two fully guaranteed years left at very reasonable money following this one, and he can of course be extended if they want to build around him.

As for players in return, one element you're missing is expiring contracts. So the Cs get an unhappy player and one on an expiring contract. So this deal fits the bill.
Because every time you get hurt you lose a little bit except in very rare circumstances.  You don't have to believe me, believe the doctors, the athletes, the billions of examples of it.  You are slightly slower, slightly weaker, etc.  It is extremely unlikely that you are what you were before.  Even Peterson is slower and not as strong as he was.  He had a great season, but had he not been injured, he probably would have had an even better season.

This is just a blanket statement, and it's not accurate. Each situation is different.

Regardless, Phoenix is famous for its top training staff, who presumably would review the situation carefully prior to a deal, then contribute to Rondo's successful recuperation following.

Getting back to the point, I think it's pretty obvious you couldn't traded Dragic and Gortat for Rondo when he's healthy, so the question is the upside of trading for said player if you as the Suns believe he will return to that health while the opposing team's priorities are more immediate.

I think it makes sense for the Cs. I also know that PHX is anxious for a high profile young star.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 04:40:03 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=assjfkj

Boston improves their chances of Banner 18 in 2013 significantly, with the intention of signing or S&Ting Millsap in the offseason.

Phoenix gets the star player and identity they've been craving -- Rondo is the perfect player to build around for good old fashioned uptempo Phoenix Suns hoops.

Utah gets the good young PG they're looking for in exchange for either Millsap or Jefferson.

Miami starts getting a little nervous.....

I'm bumping this before the deadline. I still say it makes sense for all parties. I'll get slammed for it, but don't care.

Phoenix ~~ desperately needs a franchise star. Rondo is worth buying low for them. They're top training staff has him ready to go for training camp, and meanwhile, they tank the rest of the season. I think it would be incredibly tough for them to turn this deal down.

Utah ~~ may not be able pry Bledsoe from the Clips for Millsap. Dragic is a solid young PG to add to Hayward, Favors, Kanter.

Boston ~~ goes 'all in' this year, then resigns Millsap this summer.

Both Phoenix and Utah are reportedly very active right now. Go get 'em, Danny....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
we'd be the worst team in the east playoffs

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
we'd be the worst team in the east playoffs

you think swapping Bass for Millsap, Gortat and Morris would make us worse this year?

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
By the way, I just saw this in ESPN's Per Diem from today on "10 trades that should happen". Swear to Pete I hadn't seen this before bumping this thread:

7. Al Jefferson to the Phoenix Suns

Phoenix Suns receive Al Jefferson, Mo Williams and Earl Watson. Utah Jazz receive Goran Dragic, Marcin Gortat, Channing Frye and Wesley Johnson. The deal in Trade Machine.

A straight salary dump for a Suns franchise that is going nowhere and fast. Like the Dallas Mavericks, the Utah Jazz have an array of expiring contracts that could be attractive for teams looking to slash long-term payroll. By firing coach Al Gentry earlier this season, the Suns have clearly waved the white flag on 2012-13, and starting from scratch appears to be the No. 1 priority going forward. If there is a priority list.

At this point, the Suns should engage in full-out tank mode for the top pick in the draft, even though University of Kentucky star Nerlens Noel recently tore his ACL. Dealing Dragic and Gortat now would probably ensure a top-three pick, especially with a healthy John Wall steering the Wizards out the basement.

If the Jazz can't land Bledsoe, they should direct their attention to Dragic, who is quietly delivering another solid campaign at 26 years old. He's young enough to grow with Favors and Kanter, but savvy enough to make some noise in the playoffs with this Jazz crew. Gortat's contract expires after the 2013-14 season and he could be trade bait at the end of the season if he doesn't fit with the team's plans long term.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Why don't we deal directly with Phoenix.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=akszvfy

I've been on the Gortat/Dragic bandwagon for awhile.

Boston gets: Gortat, Dragic, Beasley
Phoenix gets: Rondo. Bass, Melo

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=akszvfy

I've been on the Gortat/Dragic bandwagon for awhile.

Boston gets: Gortat, Dragic, Beasley
Phoenix gets: Rondo. Bass, Melo

I think that ship has sailed.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Boston improves their chances of Banner 18 in 2013 significantly, with the intention of signing or S&Ting Millsap in the offseason.

Phoenix gets the star player and identity they've been craving -- Rondo is the perfect player to build around for good old fashioned uptempo Phoenix Suns hoops.

Utah gets the good young PG they're looking for in exchange for either Millsap or Jefferson.

I'm bumping this before the deadline. I still say it makes sense for all parties. I'll get slammed for it, but don't care.

Phoenix ~~ desperately needs a franchise star. Rondo is worth buying low for them. They're top training staff has him ready to go for training camp, and meanwhile, they tank the rest of the season. I think it would be incredibly tough for them to turn this deal down.

Utah ~~ may not be able pry Bledsoe from the Clips for Millsap. Dragic is a solid young PG to add to Hayward, Favors, Kanter.

Both Phoenix and Utah are reportedly very active right now. Go get 'em, Danny....

A boatload of halfway decent players isn't "all in" and it won't scare the Heat. We'd then replace Phoenix as a team that desperately needs a franchise star, not something that's thrilling for the long term.

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 08:05:49 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

A boatload of halfway decent players isn't "all in" and it won't scare the Heat. We'd then replace Phoenix as a team that desperately needs a franchise star, not something that's thrilling for the long term.

It's two players and a prospect for a player and half.

Millsap and Gortat are better than you suggest. The Cs frontcourt becomes the best in the Eastern Conference.

Do you want to win this year or not? Any better ideas?

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Because the Celtics don't have expiring contracts to trade.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Why does Phoenix want expiring contracts? It's not cap space they need, it's an identity.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 09:35:57 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

It's two players and a prospect for a player and half.

Millsap and Gortat are better than you suggest. The Cs frontcourt becomes the best in the Eastern Conference.

Do you want to win this year or not? Any better ideas?

It's 2 players and a prospect for a player and a 26 year old that's a 4 time all-star. Without looking around, I'd say that a front line featuring LeBron and Bosh is better than ours. I want to win a title but that doesn't mean I want to throw away our best young player for a group that isn't going to make us favorites (or close to it) to win this year.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

I can see them dealing dirctly with the Suns.

1. Suns get best player in the deal
2. Suns trade the headache of Beasley for the better citizen Bass (same contract)
3.Suns get a rookie deal in either Melo or Sully (hope not)

Sarver is a cheap owner and does covet rookie deals and picks as well as expirings. If we give them Melo, throw in a pick.

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.

Morris should be sent to Utah, and Utah should send us one of their many point guards. Maybe throw in a pick for us from Utah because Morris is a pretty good prospect.
I like Marcus Smart

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I can see them dealing dirctly with the Suns.

1. Suns get best player in the deal
2. Suns trade the headache of Beasley for the better citizen Bass (same contract)
3.Suns get a rookie deal in either Melo or Sully (hope not)

Sarver is a cheap owner and does covet rookie deals and picks as well as expirings. If we give them Melo, throw in a pick.

Sorry, like the effort here, but the Cs aren't doing such a deal. Cs give up the best player and take the worst contract. Won't happen.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)