Author Topic: Gortat, Millsap, Morris to BOS / Rondo, Bass to PHX / Dragic to Utah (trade idea  (Read 6275 times)

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=assjfkj

Boston improves their chances of Banner 18 in 2013 significantly, with the intention of signing or S&Ting Millsap in the offseason.

Phoenix gets the star player and identity they've been craving -- Rondo is the perfect player to build around for good old fashioned uptempo Phoenix Suns hoops.

Utah gets the good young PG they're looking for in exchange for either Millsap or Jefferson.

Miami starts getting a little nervous.....
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 04:41:16 PM by wdleehi »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Gortat, Millsap, Morris to BOS / Rondo, Bass to PHX / Dragic to Utah
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 09:23:34 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I just can't see Phoenix trading Dragic and Gortat (and Morris) for an injured Rondo and a crappy Bass.  It just doesn't make sense for them.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 09:28:21 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Might work if Rondo was healthy. Nobody is giving good value for Rondo after an acl tear which baffles me when people try and trade him.

Would certainly beef up our front court but who's our pg?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 09:59:02 AM »

Offline demiurg

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 0
This is horrible for the Suns.

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 09:59:49 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I just can't see Phoenix trading Dragic and Gortat (and Morris) for an injured Rondo and a crappy Bass.  It just doesn't make sense for them.

They've be unable to land lesser stars repeatedly. They can't get a player of Rondo's caliber when healthy -- they don't have the assets. So they get an All-Star starter, tank the rest of the season, and have a better long term picture than they have today. They're not winning anything between now and when he's healthy anyway. And fans don't show up to see Dragic and Gortat, but they will for Rondo when he's back.

Rondo tore his ACL -- it's not like he broke his neck. He's young, and has been a warrior to date. He'll bounce back fully.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 10:06:06 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Might work if Rondo was healthy. Nobody is giving good value for Rondo after an acl tear which baffles me when people try and trade him.

If Rondo were healthy, no way the deal happens. He's still the most valuable piece in this trade.

Who is our PG now? Who is Miami's? Who was the Bulls in the Jordan era? Who was the Celtics in the Bird era?

We have good guards. I don't think having a top PG is important to winning a title.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 10:27:37 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
It always come back to some variation of this 3 team trade.  I still think it would work out well for all 3 teams.

PHO - Smith, Rondo, Terry
ATL - Dragic, Gortat, Bass, Lee
BOS - Teague, L. Williams, Dudley, Pachulia, W. Johnson, I. Johnson

Phoenix picks up 2 stars to build around.

Atlanta replaces Teague with a slightly lesser PG, but one locked up long term on a fairly reasonable contract, adds the true center they want to pair with Horford and picks up some very solid bench/spot starters in Bass and Lee on reasonable deals.

Boston is a lot more competitive this year and has a lot more long term flexibility and assets going forward.  So for the rest of this year Boston would be:

PG - Teague, Bradley, Barbosa
SG - Dudley, Bradley, W. Johnson
SF - Pierce, Green, Dudley
PF - Garnett, Green, I. Johnson
C - Pachulia, Garnett, Wilcox, Collins, Melo

Next year Boston adds back in Williams and Sullinger, and presumably would re-sign Teague, Pachulia, and maybe the Johnson's plus adds the draft pick and would be in a pretty good spot moving forward as well

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Generally, I'd guess you are correct and my knee-jerk response to any Rondo trade is that you can't trade a guy who is in the midst of a season-ending injury.

That said, both Howard and Bynum were traded, both nursing what could be lingering and play-limiting injuries.

If Rondo is traded at 75 cents on the dollar, I think it's possible a team may bite.  Suns give Morris, Gortat and Dragic (to Jazz) for Rondo (and Bass -- irrelevant).   I don't know about you, but even though Rondo is the best of the players involved, it feels to me like Suns pay closer to 100 cents on the dollar than 75, especially since I see Rondo as only a modest upgrade at PG (I think Dragic is pretty good).

C's get much better up front and makes tham much better this year.  Next year, they begin searching for a Point Guard when they already had a top 5.   

Not sure which team nixes the idea, but I bet at least 1 would.  Good idea though.

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 10:29:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

They've be unable to land lesser stars repeatedly. They can't get a player of Rondo's caliber when healthy -- they don't have the assets. So they get an All-Star starter, tank the rest of the season, and have a better long term picture than they have today. They're not winning anything between now and when he's healthy anyway. And fans don't show up to see Dragic and Gortat, but they will for Rondo when he's back.

Rondo tore his ACL -- it's not like he broke his neck. He's young, and has been a warrior to date. He'll bounce back fully.
Let's just say he actually comes back to full strength (which is incredibly unlikely) when he does he will be in the last year of his contract.

Boston isn't going to get great value for him unless they are taking on injured players, unhappy players, or players with bad contracts.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 10:56:36 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Let's just say he actually comes back to full strength (which is incredibly unlikely) when he does he will be in the last year of his contract.

Boston isn't going to get great value for him unless they are taking on injured players, unhappy players, or players with bad contracts.

I don't understand your overstatement about how 'incredibly unlikely' it is that he returns to full strength, nor your point about how soon. Rondo has a partially torn ACL -- he didn't even blow it. He's a physical freak. Adrian Peterson fully tore both his ACL and his MCL, then had a historic NFL season immediately thereafter -- tell him how unlikely that was.

Meanwhile, we're not even at the All-Star break, and Rondo has two fully guaranteed years left at very reasonable money following this one, and he can of course be extended if they want to build around him.

As for players in return, one element you're missing is expiring contracts. So the Cs get an unhappy player and one on an expiring contract. So this deal fits the bill.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 11:15:10 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
More realistic. Assuming an injured rondo is on his way out.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a6t58nq

Boston gets zbo and Arthur

Memphis gets bass and milsap

Utah gets rondo

Boston puts itself in a great situation to win a title this year by acquiring an all star beast.

Memphis gets a valid replacement on an expiring deal in milsap. Thus more cap flexibility. They get more depth with bass. They also save another couple million on this years payroll.

Utah gets rondo for a guy they might let walk after this year.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 11:18:13 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

I don't understand your overstatement about how 'incredibly unlikely' it is that he returns to full strength, nor your point about how soon. Rondo has a partially torn ACL -- he didn't even blow it. He's a physical freak. Adrian Peterson fully tore both his ACL and his MCL, then had a historic NFL season immediately thereafter -- tell him how unlikely that was.

Meanwhile, we're not even at the All-Star break, and Rondo has two fully guaranteed years left at very reasonable money following this one, and he can of course be extended if they want to build around him.

As for players in return, one element you're missing is expiring contracts. So the Cs get an unhappy player and one on an expiring contract. So this deal fits the bill.

If Bynum can be traded with his knee and Howard with his back in the same trade!... Then I think rondo can be moved if his ACL is only partially torn and you also consider he's on a bargain contract.

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 11:22:04 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Because every time you get hurt you lose a little bit except in very rare circumstances.  You don't have to believe me, believe the doctors, the athletes, the billions of examples of it.  You are slightly slower, slightly weaker, etc.  It is extremely unlikely that you are what you were before.  Even Peterson is slower and not as strong as he was.  He had a great season, but had he not been injured, he probably would have had an even better season.

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

If Bynum can be traded with his knee and Howard with his back in the same trade!... Then I think rondo can be moved if his ACL is only partially torn and you also consider he's on a bargain contract.
right for another injured player, a player on a bad contract, or a player demanding a trade.  Only way Boston gets anywhere close to equal value.

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 11:36:11 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

right for another injured player, a player on a bad contract, or a player demanding a trade.  Only way Boston gets anywhere close to equal value.

And it seems zbo might be considered a bad contract but I would also say to a team who has no issue tanking the rest of this year like Phoenix. Or a team with an expiring deal that they likely won't resign, due to the market price, like Utah.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 11:58:11 AM by Kane3387 »