Author Topic: Melo -> Red Claws, FA Big -> His spot in the rotation  (Read 1900 times)

Melo -> Red Claws, FA Big -> His spot in the rotation
« on: February 07, 2013, 10:30:38 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
As fun as it was to see him tonight, the kid is not ready. I think having him ride the bench with us is doing nothing for his development. Time to send him back down and sign someone else to take his spot in the rotation.

Someone who could actually give us some meaningful minutes.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:39:29 PM by AB_Celtic »

Re: Melo -> Red Claws, FA Big -> His roster spot
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 10:31:57 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
That's not how the d-league works. To free up his roster spot we'd have to waive him, another team would be free to sign him then. Another team would take him on as a project certainly. Especially since it wouldn't be for guaranteed money.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 10:33:09 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
That's not how the d-league works. To free up his roster spot we'd have to waive him, another team would be free to sign him then. Another team would take him on as a project certainly. Especially since it wouldn't be for guaranteed money.

Sorry, I guess I was unclear. I'm not so much concerned with his roster spot as his spot in the rotation. I know sending him down keeps him on the roster.

We need someone taking his spot in the rotation.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 10:34:30 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I don't see the talent everyone keeps talking about, he looks like a slow lumbering big man with no skill at all. On defense it's like he lets the opponent get all the way to the rim and then he jumps like 2 seconds later to try and block it, was really funny to watch.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 10:36:38 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

His spot in the rotation is garbage minutes.  In playing time in a close game that mattered, you'd probably see Pierce or Green playing as a Nellyball 5 with four guards before you saw Fab Melo in the game.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: Melo -> Red Claws, FA Big -> His spot in the rotation
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 10:41:51 PM »

Offline Rtpas11

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
If anyone feels like how Melo feels you'll play sucky... Its extremely difficult to practice with greats, then watch them play for 40 minutes, then your ask to go out there & play at a high level for 5 minutes... not happening.

He' anxious & excited, plus the game is moving a 100 miles an hour to him. He started this way in the D-League also. A few more games & heavey minutes in the D-League played he got more comfortable & even dominant. It'll be hard to mimic that playing limited minutes on a higher level.

with all of this said... we definitely need to sign a big.. Josh Boone is available via D-League & he's not playing too bad.

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 10:51:14 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I agree that Fab should be in the D-league. He looks completely lost out there. His feel for the game is pretty much zero. I think he will contribute eventually for us but not for another 2-3 years.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 11:04:50 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
He seemed to be trying to run around and create the illusion of action like a fatter, shorn Mikki Moore.  Will this be the end of posters saying that giving Fab Melo minutes right now can't possibly make the team worse than giving those minutes to Collins or are there still people who say Melo is a short-term upgrade?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 11:06:41 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
ive seen trade talks about avery last season
seen lee trade talks this year
give melo minutes and let him find his role

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 11:09:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

His spot in the rotation is garbage minutes.  In playing time in a close game that mattered, you'd probably see Pierce or Green playing as a Nellyball 5 with four guards before you saw Fab Melo in the game.
We've already seen Doc do that!

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 11:11:12 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
ive seen trade talks about avery last season
seen lee trade talks this year
give melo minutes and let him find his role

Not yet, no thanks
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 11:12:35 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I'm worried he's gonna fall when he runs up and down the court. So awkward and just doesn't look natural.

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 11:33:34 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I'm not sure what you are saying here.

If we wanted him off the roster to free his spot - sure, we'd have to waive him.

But we don't need to do that to send him to the D-league.   The new CBA allows teams to send guys in their first 2 years back & forth to the D-League unlimited times.

And there is no need to waive him for his roster spot anyway as we currently only have 13 players on the roster - we have 2 open roster spots.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 11:35:22 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I'm not sure what you are saying here.

If we wanted him off the roster to free his spot - sure, we'd have to waive him.

But we don't need to do that to send him to the D-league.   The new CBA allows teams to send guys in their first 2 years back & forth to the D-League unlimited times.

And there is no need to waive him for his roster spot anyway as we currently only have 13 players on the roster - we have 2 open roster spots.
OP said the C's get another player for his roster spot before an edit to clarify what he meant.

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 11:47:14 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen