Author Topic: NBA scout talks about Rondo  (Read 4153 times)

Re: NBA scout talks about Rondo
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 06:37:36 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I'm curious... is there anyone on this forum who has had their perception of Rondo drastically change because of the last 5 games?  I think there has always been a bunch of fans who wanted to believe Rondo was the greatest point guard in the league... and then there are people like myself who have continued to say he was overrated and at most a top 5 point guard. 

Has anyone changed their opinion ?  I'd like to hear from one of the folks who believes ROndo is better than Chris Paul.  Do you still believe that?

I've never thought rondo was better than chris paul. Always thought he was a bit overrated.

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Pretty much what many of us have already said.

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 07:07:03 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Seems a little odd to be bashing Rondo for being ball dominant when the guy you are talking about it effecting is equally ball dominant AND wasn't supposed to be playing alongside him in the ideal picture anyways. If you want to say Rondo needs the ball in his hands, well, Terry needs it just as much, if not more, and the plan was got him to be a backup and not get as much burn with Rondo anyways (Bradley being the off the ball backcourt mate, which sure makes a lot of sense).

And, yes, I would much rather have Rondo than Terry. Jeez.

Agreed. When #20 was here, he was great at playing off the ball and the combo worked great. Even after AB took the starting job, his ability to cut really opened up the offense and again, the combo worked great.

The issue is that we tried to shoehorn JET into #20's old role - running off screens, catch-and-shoots - and that's never been the strength in his game. JET is more of a "give him the ball, let him run pick & roll" type of player. They're styles don't mesh right away, that's something I think Doc should've done a better job of prepping for the offseason - how can Rondo and Jason be effective playing with each other?

Everyone saying we're better off without Rondo are wrong. Point blank. I know, we've won 5 in a row. We also won 6 in a row with him in the lineup starting next to AB, and then promptly lost 6 in a row. So basically, what we know now is what we always knew: this group can win games, but whether or not they continue on a consistent basis is still undetermined.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 07:11:32 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Zach Lowe's article on Rondo today takes a statistical look at how much ball pounding he did this year. It backs up this scout's POV.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 07:31:04 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We will see now what kind of team we are after this back to back game.   Will the old guys be exposed, right now the schedule has been nice for the old guys.   The Lakers are a back to back too.   We should win easily folks tonight.

Easy and manly to hate on a guy when he is hurt, I suppose.

I wonder if the anti Rondo crowd thinks we get past CLE in 08 w/o Rondo.   I don't think so.

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 07:38:42 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
As far as I'm concerned, talk to me when the playoffs are over.

Until then, NOTHING, is proven.

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 07:59:22 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
As far as I'm concerned, talk to me when the playoffs are over.

Until then, NOTHING, is proven.

I am extremely tired of the Rondo chatter myself, I think we would be better with him no doubt about it (in the playoffs b/c of half court play)....

with that said, you can not say we have to wait to the playoffs to judge whether we are better with/without him b/c THIS TEAM did not experience the playoffs with RR. Last year's team was almost completely different than this season's team! So, just because we made it to the ECF last season and may not this season, does not prove one way or the other if we are better or worse w/o RR (I happen to still believe we will win it all, as crazy as that may seem).

Not only is THIS TEAM different (with or without RR) from last season but most every team in the East is different! So, no matter how this season goes, you cannot compare whether we are better/worse with RR!

Now we can get an idea of regular season b/c we had half the games to see how we were with him and now half games to see without him. Even then it might be difficult b/c this team no matter the players of the past few seasons always played better during the second half of the season, so who knows how we would be with RR.

I can never understand why everyone who is a Celtics fan doesn't WANT the team this season to be better without RR, he is out for the season! While I think we are better with RR I WANT us to be better now that we don't have him, I want us to be good enough (I wanted that w/ or w/o him)! The only people I can understand who don't want us to be better w/o him is his fans (I mean people who are fans of his and by default are "Celtics fans")! Actually, I can't even really understand RR fans b/c when I was a Shaq fan I wanted any team he was on to win no matter what, when Shaq was injured I wanted the team to win just as much as I did when he played... because if the team won he won by default, of course I would love if he wasn't injured and it would mean more but I still wanted the win no matter how it came!! So, RR fans that want us to be worse w/o him and want us to lose just to prove that, you are CRAZY, even RR wants the team to win w/o him (if he truly cares about the guys like I think he does), sure he'd rather it was with him but since he's out I doubt he's wishing they lose b/c he isn't able to play!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 08:12:01 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Our ball tonight is doo doo, no Rondo either.  Who are you going to blame it on tonight?

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 09:26:13 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Our ball tonight is doo doo, no Rondo either.  Who are you going to blame it on tonight?

Huh? We're on pace for 116 pts.

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 09:36:44 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
we will see Miami in the finals

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 09:40:24 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
Personally, I lost respect for this scout when he said we are winning with smoke and mirrors.  We are winning because of defense, ball-movement, and exceptional bench play.  Basketball is not Advanced Calculus -- play D, move the ball on offense and get good shots, run when you can, and come up big in crunch-time.