Author Topic: Dwight Howard says he won't take long-term risk just to return to save lakers  (Read 8034 times)

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Dwight Howard says he won't take long-term risk just to return to save #lakers "This is my career. Nobody else is going to take care of me."

I agree.

He needs to sit out the rest of the season though if he is serious about his health. You shouldn't be playing NBA basketball if you are unable to sit down without feeling nerve pain.

Look at Peyton Manning. Nerve issues have robbed him of some arm strength.

Howard needs both his legs. He is jeopardizing his career right now if he continues to play.

Same as Chris Carpenter. He announced that he will not pitch the 2013 season and could retire due to nerve damage.

Absolutely makes sense for Howard to take his time coming back from injury. Same should be said for any major league athlete. 

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I really want to give Howard the benefit of the doubt but I can't.

The guy has never seemed to care about winning or care about his teammates and coach. He's been pretty well contained by guys like Perk, Collins, KG (who's about 200 LBS lighter). He tries to block shots put pf bounds instead of retaining possession admiteddly.

Unless we are talking about dwight from a few years ago I don't care who he plays for and would actually be happy if he signed the max for the lakers.

Im just sick of him. Don't play or play you aren't even that good. I mean is anybody worried if he plays tonight against a 37 year old KG and our thin front line?

Kiorrik

This all seems fairly overblown. I'd like to think Kobe said "c'mon Dwight, you gotta play man", and thus applying some pressure, which makes a lot of sense. Kobe's no doctor indeed, that's why Kobe probably didn't word it as "screw your back and/or any permanent damage, just play dang it!".

I'm also pretty sure Dwight wasn't speaking about Kobe in particular but about Lakers and fans, friends and anyone else that's applying said pressure. He's right to say it, and to make that decision.

But to say this adds to any animosity amongst the Lakers, or that there are any shots at certain people, to me, seems a bit far-fetched.

Offline JoT

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
I have a feeling he will not be back in LA after this season. You can tell clear as day that he's not happy.

Also when he told SAS in the interview that his legs were numb while sitting there and that he has nerve issues along with the team not knowing, that was very disturbing to me and let me know he wasn't all the way ready to come back.

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
@celticsblog @RedsArmy_John @CelticsTown Per @LAIreland (and Antawn Jamison), Dwight's playing tonight. Just heard it on ESPN LA radio.
I moved the cheese.

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Yeah didn't Kobe say if its short term pain play through ot if its longterm or career threatening don't?

Are we just selectively choosing these quotes.

Kobe and Nash are there every day. Im pretty sure they have a better grasp on Howards injury than a lot of others. Unless people really think they are pressuring Doctors to clear Dwight

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Do whatever hurts the Lakers more Dwight, that's my advice.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Also when he told SAS in the interview that his legs were numb while sitting there and that he has nerve issues along with the team not knowing, that was very disturbing to me and let me know he wasn't all the way ready to come back.
Yeah, that was shocking / disturbing. I hope Dwight can recover from this injury.

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
maybe now is the time to call Mitchy and offer Collins for Dwight. ?

just trying to help is all.   >

;D
LET'S GO CELTICS!

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
I have no idea how anybody couldn't see this team as the train wreck it'd be with the cast of characters they constructed.

Yep. Too many egos on that team. One of those happens to be Kobe? Forget about it.

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
He's totally right... but you'd think he would have learned to shut his mouth by now?

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Yeah didn't Kobe say if its short term pain play through ot if its longterm or career threatening don't?

Are we just selectively choosing these quotes.

Kobe and Nash are there every day. Im pretty sure they have a better grasp on Howards injury than a lot of others. Unless people really think they are pressuring Doctors to clear Dwight

No one has a grasp on this until they have experienced it. You don't mess around with neurological stuff like this. Before I had surgery I couldn't be in any position that wasn't vertical (standing) or horizontal (laying down).

Sitting was out of the question. My leg felt like it was being stabbed with a knife that was lit on fire. I was in school and had to take notes and tests standing at a podium. Couldn't sit in a desk. Couldn't drive and had to lay down in the back seat of the car because again sitting was out of the question.

What's bad is that this was all before surgery. After surgery I was pain free. Nerve pain gone. The fact his isn't is really troublesome. Means he likely has vertebrae fused soon because another disc is hitting the nerve too and he will need the surgery again on a different part of the back.

Edit: I just talked with my dad. He's had Dwight's surgery and the fusion that is the next step. He said that Dwight might not need another surgery and that it could be his nerve was pinched so long before the surgery that it was damaged. The other alternative is that during surgery the nerve could have been damaged when the doctor moved it to fix the rupture. Nerves can continue to heal for years so that numbness, etc. might eventually go away. He might recover in that regard, but the days of him jumping like he did during All-Star weekend are gone.

It's a horrible thing this guy is having bc there is nothing wrong with his leg at all. Guaranteed his leg is 100 %. His nerve that runs from his spine down his leg is being pinched and as a result it sends messages to his brain telling him his leg hurts. Again it's neurological and a phantom pain.

You could remove his entire leg and he would still feel pain down there. Even when the leg is gone and there is nothing there to feel pain in. It's all about the signals to his brain being compromised.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:23:33 PM by Kane3387 »

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Wholeheartedly agree with Dwight
No need to risk a permenant career ending injury to play for a sinking ship

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I have no idea how anybody couldn't see this team as the train wreck it'd be with the cast of characters they constructed.

Yep. Too many egos on that team. One of those happens to be Kobe? Forget about it.

Ok, so why am i still worried about them?

They've been winning lately, and a win against out tired Celtics will put them just 2 games under .500.  They have a great shot now of making the playoffs and if things go their way, DH and Pau might be healthy then.   They still worry me. 

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
maybe now is the time to call Mitchy and offer Collins for Dwight. ?

just trying to help is all.   >

You have to throw in the carcusses of Mark Blonut and Gin Taker to make the salaries match !!!
The beatings will continue until morale improves